New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Ours departs 9/10 from Seattle for Alaska.

Nice... enjoy. That's probably one of Oosterdam's last Alaska sailings for the season before she transitions to the Fall Mexico itineraries (which we're on the first). Please take good care of her for us! :)

We will be boarding the day you disembark. Any thoughts about when to arrive at the dock? When we booked, documents mentioned 1PM, others on CC say you can arrive at 11:30. Since you live in San Diego, sure you will have some suggestions. Live about 100 miles from S.D. so we can drive there.

We will be boarding the day you disembark. Any thoughts about when to arrive at the dock? When we booked, documents mentioned 1PM, others on CC say you can arrive at 11:30. Since you live in San Diego, sure you will have some suggestions. Live about 100 miles from S.D. so we can drive there.

We haven't sailed from San Diego in a while, but based on what I've been reading on CC and other places, we're planning to get to the terminal around 11:00. As you've read, we're hoping they begin boarding at about 11:30. Our booking confirmation doesn't say anything about boarding time.

Where do you plan to park in SD? Parking is a challenge here, and can get expensive. The garages, etc. fill up fast when cruises are departing from here.

Edited by KroozNut

Good point about the parking, we hope our daughter will be available to take us and return with the car. We have stayed at Porto Vista in Little Italy on many occasions, they do a shuttle service to the pier, thought that would be a possibility, if necessary.

I'm returning to HAL after several years and a bad experience but have sailed many times with Celebrity. I skimmed through this thread but 2000+ posts is a lot so: can someone tell me the dress policy on HAL for formal nights? On X you no longer need to wear a dress or suit and tie. I wear black dress jeans with a lace top and DH wears khaki slacks with a collared shirt, no tie or jacket. We're on the Transatlantic from Barcelona in Oct. and I don't want to bring anything I don't need so I can avoid luggage fees, but since there are at least 6 sea days, I'm assuming there will be at least 3-4 formal nights. Thanks for your help.

I'm returning to HAL after several years and a bad experience but have sailed many times with Celebrity. I skimmed through this thread but 2000+ posts is a lot so: can someone tell me the dress policy on HAL for formal nights? On X you no longer need to wear a dress or suit and tie. I wear black dress jeans with a lace top and DH wears khaki slacks with a collared shirt, no tie or jacket. We're on the Transatlantic from Barcelona in Oct. and I don't want to bring anything I don't need so I can avoid luggage fees, but since there are at least 6 sea days, I'm assuming there will be at least 3-4 formal nights. Thanks for your help.

From skimming thru these posts, I believe the policy is the same as you have experienced on other lines. collared shirt and slacks should be fine.

From skimming thru these posts, I believe the policy is the same as you have experienced on other lines. collared shirt and slacks should be fine.

Thank you!!! I do have a Hawaiian formal dress that I could/might bring because it's very light and usually gets a conversation going, but DH will be thrilled!!!

HAL calls them 'Gala Nights' now. From FAQ's on their site:

• Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.
  • Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants.

Q: What about ladies’ gala attire?

A: Dressy attire is appropriate. Dresses, skirts, and slacks are all acceptable.

Q: Are a jacket and tie required for men?

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change.

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

And from what I've been able to 'glean' from these boards and elsewhere - you'll see men dressed in everything from dockers and polo shirt to a tuxedo, so your DH should be fine in what you described.

No, it is NOT "ok" to leave your balcony door open at any time, unless you are passing through it.

The A/C in your cabin is connected to several other cabins either side of you, as well as cabins on the same line up and down. To open your cabin door cuts off A/C to every other cabin on that line---including outside and inside cabins on lower decks.

People in those cabins can suffer if they don't get A/C.

Does this mean there is no way to adjust the temperature in your room?

How much Is it for the hydro pool for a week?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am probably missing something, but what is the hydropool? Does every HAL ship have one? What is the minimum age for access?

I am probably missing something, but what is the hydropool? Does every HAL ship have one? What is the minimum age for access?

the larger ships have a hydrotherapy pool (Vista class and up) and the smaller ships have a hydro pool which is similar to a hot tub.

I have seen younger people in the hydrotherapy pool. I think they are permitted with parents, but I am not 100% sure on that.

Does this mean there is no way to adjust the temperature in your room?

You do have a thermostat, so can adjust the temperature in your own room. However, this is cut off when others, sometimes several decks above you, have a balcony door open. In that case there is no air flow in your cabin.

My husband and I will be traveling on the Eurodam in two weeks and would love to do the self guided tour of the art on board that I've read about. I'm having a hard time finding where to download it from the HAL website and on iTunes. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you!

My husband and I will be traveling on the Eurodam in two weeks and would love to do the self guided tour of the art on board that I've read about. I'm having a hard time finding where to download it from the HAL website and on iTunes. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you!

They have certainly made them harder to find.

There will be ipods on board with the art tour loaded which you can borrow, but I believe this should take you where you want to go.....

http://feeds.hollandamerica.com/ShipArtTours

Just a quick question, we are already in Seattle and my wife had to buy a hair dryer for our temp. stay. Does the Eurodam have hair dryers in all their cabins?

Absolutely. All the ships do.

There used to be a multi page thread on unusual or humorous incidents. did that completely disappear with the "new' format?

I am sure it is there if you do a search. I don't recall it being a "sticky" ? But, in case my memory is short, some sticky's were removed some time ago as there were just too many.

There used to be a multi page thread on unusual or humorous incidents. did that completely disappear with the "new' format?

I am sure it is there if you do a search. I don't recall it being a "sticky" ? But, in case my memory is short, some sticky's were removed some time ago as there were just too many.

Check in the forum "floataway lounge" - CC generally considers such threads to not be cruise related.

I'm ready to book a cruise but my HAL guy is on vacation. How dare he take a few days off over a holiday weekend!!! ;p

With Carnival, if I booked online or onboard, my PVP still got the credit. He only did NOT get credit if I booked through an outside travel agent.

If I go ahead and book online today, will my HAL guy get credit for the booking? I don't want to cut him out even though I always do all the planning and cabin selection myself for every cruise I book; I just call and tell them what I want and what price I'm seeing. I like having a person there I can call or email if I have questions so think they should get credit for the booking.

So, should I be patient for a few more days or can I go ahead and grab the cabin I want? If he'll get credit for the sale, I'd like to go ahead and book it.

Thanks all!