Helipad Experience

killarneylady

We were invited to a sailaway on our recent cruise on Reflection. I wonder how people are chosen. We had a standard balcony and an inside cabin. Captains club only Select. Someone I was speaking to at the event had assumed it was only Suite guests who were usually invited. I wonder how many of theses events are on an 11 night cruise? maybe everyone gets an invite! Sorry about the orientation of the invite, can't manage to turn image..:confused:

IMG_4947.jpg.aafecc7f0ed22836a3645d6e3d12eda5.jpg

It seems to vary depending on the ship/voyage. But, we are mere 4 Star Mariners and have often received one invite (we have no interest in going) during our voyages. And this happens even when we are in regular (not suite) cabins.

Hank

The helipad sail ins/outs are popular and there is normally more than one on a cruise so that as many people as possible can be accommodated. Staying in a suite or Captain's Club status helps get you up the pecking order, but there are always other ways that guests are chosen. It can be just luck or interaction with say the CC Host.

Phil

We have been invited 3 times while on a Celebrity cruise. :)

Once on a Baltic cruise sailing the Constellation through the archipelago in Stockholm, Sweden. Beautiful! We were in an AQ with Elite CC membership.

The second and thirds times were on the same cruise. :cool: London/Spain/Portugal/Canary Islands on the Eclipse. Both were when we sailed away from Portugal ports - Lisbon and Madeira. We were staying in a Sky Suite and Elite.

Other cruises while staying in a SS, we were never invited. :(

Our last cruise we were in an AQ and were not invited. There were heli parties as we saw passengers when leaving Dover. We just viewed the cliffs from higher up outside the basketball cage - on the Silhouette. :D

We have been invited a few times on a RCCL cruise, as well as being invited to the bridge X2 and to dine with the Captain (1 RCCL and 2 on Celebrity.) Only once were we staying in a Suite. :rolleyes:

Edited by Iamthesea

On the few occasions I have been to the helipad, once I was a guest of an Elite. On the last two invitations, once was because we were CC members, and the other we were in a Concierge cabin.

How good the experience is depends, I think, on which port you are leaving. And a little on what weather you get. Madeira was rather cold and a wee bit damp. Venice, on the other hand was, fabulous, hot, and sunny.

Whatever the source, I am all for it, camera in hand!

Been invited twice as Elite members, both on Eclipse sailings from S'hampton.

A sail in on the fjords when they served hot soup, and another sailing out of Venice in the evening, and was nearly as cold!

To us, 2 unforgettable experiences.

I think it is for anyone in a suite but then it is up to the Captain's Club Hostess to choose other guests.

We have been invited twice and never sailed in a suite. Our first time was sailing out of San Francisco and it was amazing!! We really had to than the CC Hostess onboard for extending the invitation to us.

The second time was sailing out of Cartagena ... another amazing event!! Again, we thanked the CC Hostess onboard that sailing.

It is really something special. I met someone on that first cruise that was either elite + or zenith ... he couldn't imagine why we were so excited about the invite. All negative comments about how windy and cold it would be, having to schmooze with the officers and they serve cheap champagne. OMG -- was he wrong. I never want to get to the point in life where I don't fully appreciate these wonderful opportunities. Both times, it was definitely one of the highlights of my cruise.

I never want to get to the point in life where I don't fully appreciate these wonderful opportunities. Both times, it was definitely one of the highlights of my cruise.

So true! And that goes for many other experiences on the ship. So many times I think to myself how lucky I am to be able to do it.:cool:

Phil

We have been invited about 4 times and yes, we enjoy it each time. I don't know how they choose people either. we were in a suite and we are Elite + and did not get an invitation (which we would have loved) when we sailed out of Singapore. There was a large group of German people on board and we wondered if they had all been invited instead.

Last year on a b2b, we were invited 3 times, twice during the first cruise and once the second. The first cruise embarked in Venice and the Celebrity Connections Party was held on the helipad as we sailed from Venice . . . Sailing out of Venice with that vantage point and a glass of bubbly was a great start to the cruise😃. The second invitation that cruise was leaving Malta and those in Concierge Class were invited; since Celebrity ships are registered in Valletta and this was the last call to Malta last season for the Constellation, the city fired the cannons at the Barrakka Gardens and had fireworks as we left. On the second cruise of the b2b, the Celebrity Connections party was on the helipad, this time as we left Sorrento.

We have been several times (five I think) and enjoy the experience. Once I know everyone who had attended the Meet and Greet were invited. Otherwise I don't know the criteria, We have never sailed in a suite, but are Elite. The only time we dined at the Captain's Table was when we were select and in an inside cabin. Maybe the reason is that we are such nice people - LOL!

Sheila

We were invited to an event on the helipad as we left Halong Bay in Vietnam. Amazing.

Our invites made it clear it was because we were elite. We would certainly go again if invited, really enjoyed it.

We were invited to eat at the Captain's table and to the helipad. We were only in a balcony and it was just our third cruise and the first time on Celebrity. Great experience.

Edited by ReneeFLL

We've been invited three times. Once out of Lisbon a few years ago and twice during our back to back cruise in May this year, the first time was out of Kusadasi and the second time out of Bodrum. We were in inside cabins on those cruises, but we were the only people that did the B2B so made to feel very special because of that (apart from the sail always) :)

We have done a number of these. On a two week cruise there is usually one organised by the Michael's Club concierge and one by the Captains Club. We were invited to both on one cruise. We have noticed that there has been a drastic reduction in what is provided at these events.

On our first one, which was probably as we were on a b2b, the staff continually filled the glasses and provided canapes. But on the more recent ones there has been a glass of fizzy wine or a soft drink, with no top ups, and nothing to eat.

We have done a number of these. On a two week cruise there is usually one organised by the Michael's Club concierge and one by the Captains Club. We were invited to both on one cruise. We have noticed that there has been a drastic reduction in what is provided at these events.

On our first one, which was probably as we were on a b2b, the staff continually filled the glasses and provided canapes. But on the more recent ones there has been a glass of fizzy wine or a soft drink, with no top ups, and nothing to eat.

Forget what they serve to eat and drink. It's the view for me that counts!

Phil

Our cruisecritic get together was on the helipad both times on a B2B out of Venice on the Constellation last year, the first cruise Kotor and the second Dubrovnik. We were also invited to the captain's table for dinner. This was definitely initiated by the Captains Club Concierge, Graeme. We were in an inside cabin.

Edited by kobecat

Our cruisecritic get together was on the helipad both times on a B2B out of Venice on the Constellation last year, the first cruise Kotor and the second Dubrovnik. We were also invited to the captain's table for dinner. This was definitely initiated by the Captains Club Concierge, Graeme. We were in an inside cabin.

Am I missing something here - why would you pay good money for a cruise and then end up eating with the crew!!!

Am I missing something here - why would you pay good money for a cruise and then end up eating with the crew!!!

Bpos, I am thinking you may be making a joke but in case it is a legitimate question. The dinner is now held in one of the specialty restaurants (ours was in Tuscan) and there is no additional fee for the dinner. Usually they mix your group eclectically, we dined with one of officers "engineer maybe, cannot remember" and a couple from Canada and a couple from England. Free specialty dining, free booze, good service, great company... We loved it

• 1 month later...

Really - and the point of all this is??

I was the first one to leave the helipad, I do not drink champagne, and orange juice was not my choice right then leaving Palma de Mallorca on Equinox, all the officers there came from the hotel dept. Much better view from the sky lounge where I had my free class of wine from the free beverage package. Nothing special about being on the helipad when leaving a port.