Oasis of the Seas in Port Everglades early

davidrle

It is not uncommon - and in fact frequent - for ships to be entering the port by 5:00 AM or earlier, and not due to any unusual circumstance. The actual time is a function of weather and sea conditions en route, and marine traffic, with time allowed by the Captain in planning for delays that could result from any of those situations.

If you were at the pier by 3:30 it was likely just due to no delays with any of these. Not anything necessarily unusual or even realized by most passengers, who would most likely be asleep at the time. The earlier the ship can get in the sooner it can begin it's turnaround for the next departure.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

It is not uncommon - and in fact frequent - for ships to be entering the port by 5:00 AM or earlier, and not due to any unusual circumstance. The actual time is a function of weather and sea conditions en route, and marine traffic, with time allowed by the Captain in planning for delays that could result from any of those situations.

If you were at the pier by 3:30 it was likely just due to no delays with any of these. Not anything necessarily unusual or realized by most passengers, who would most likely be asleep at the time. The earlier the ship can get in the sooner it can begin it's turnaround for the next departure.

Great explanation. Even if there had been a medical reason for early arrival, they could/would still be fighting the elements you described.

Onboard Oasis now. No idea why we got in so early (no announced medical emergencies or anything). I woke up at 4 AM and looked out my balcony to see we were moored at the pier. I do know we were going 22 knots last night.

Oasis appear on the PE webcam at 3:21am as shown by the shot below and at Terminal 18 by 3:40am.

attachment.php?attachmentid=364886&d=1444480380

OasisOct10-15.jpg.9f81dcf392bbeaf5b6eee008829657ba.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

Oasis appear on the PE webcam at 3:21am as shown by the shot below and at Terminal 18 by 3:40am.

attachment.php?attachmentid=364886&d=1444480380

Beautiful shot from the webcam! Our travel companions joked that maybe Captain Per was getting tired of the smell that pervaded the ship the entire week an decided to hit the gas a little harder.

As my sister and I were entering our cabin around 4:30 pm Friday Oct 9 there was an urgent announcement on th PA system in the hallway that any passenger or crew member with a certain blood type please report immediately to the medical facility. I wonder if that was the reason for early arrival.

As my sister and I were entering our cabin around 4:30 pm Friday Oct 9 there was an urgent announcement on th PA system in the hallway that any passenger or crew member with a certain blood type please report immediately to the medical facility. I wonder if that was the reason for early arrival.

While always a possibility, I'd think that a serious medical emergency requiring the ship to make it's way to port as quickly as possible would more likely be addressed by a USCG helicopter medevac.

While always a possibility, I'd think that a serious medical emergency requiring the ship to make it's way to port as quickly as possible would more likely be addressed by a USCG helicopter medevac.

Due to the risk to the patient and the flight crew, medevac is only for life threatening cases. If the doctor felt that the patient was sufficiently stable to remain on-board for about 12 hours, a speedy return to port would be indicated.