Elegant Elbe.... the adventure begins

franski

Hi all - said I would try to post as I go along.... and here it is!!! Currently still in Prague at the Corinthia and the WiFi is very good...

The adventure didn't start out really well. We got to the airport only to discover our flight was delayed for an hour. Not a big deal - we had a 4 hour layover in Heathrow as BA had changed our flight to Prague after we had booked.

However, got on the plane and there we sat - apparently a concern re: an extra bag on board so the Captain wouldn't leave until he was satisfied this issue was addressed. Hadn't even left the tarmac and we were 2 hours behind!!!

BA managed to make up some time so we landed with 2 1/2 hours to change terminals and make our flight.

Just a warning if you transfer in London - their security is VERY tight. I had to put my toothpaste in a plastic zip lock or it would have been pulled!!! Never has to do that before when it was my only " liquid". The 2 1/2 hours layover was JUST enough time.

Things picked up once we got to Prague. Customs clearance was quick and easy and our luggage already on the carousel oncewe got there. We had booked a transfer with Prague Airport Transfer and the guy was waiting there as promised. We were about 30 minutes from the hotel and we were informed upfront what our transfer time was.

Once we got here, the hotel staff noticed our Viking tag on the luggage and directed us to the Viking desk. We booked an extra night through them but did NOT book the entire pre- cruise package so it was a nice surprise to discover we were considered part of the pre - tour group and therefore breakfast was included this am. Viking also arranged for a shuttle service between the hotel and Old Town Square at no cost - a REALLY nice treat...

Walked for hours today - and my feet are quite sore! Early morning tomorrow as we must have our luggage outside the door for 8 am. Our afternoon departure for the boat is moved up a bit as we have to travel a bit further to board. The Elbe is a bit low so are now boarding at Bad Shandau instead of Melnick. I was notified early today so no surprises.

Anyway, heading to bed - will try to post again tomorrow.

Fran

Edited by franski

Hi all - said I would try to post as I go along.... and here it is!!! Currently still in Prague at the Corinthia and the WiFi is very good...

The adventure didn't start out really well. We got to the airport only to discover our flight was delayed for an hour. Not a big deal - we had a 4 hour layover in Heathrow as BA had changed our flight to Prague after we had booked.

However, got on the plane and there we sat - apparently a concern re: an extra bag on board so the Captain wouldn't leave until he was satisfied this issue was addressed. Hadn't even left the tarmac and we were 2 hours behind!!!

BA managed to make up some time so we landed with 2 1/2 hours to change terminals and make our flight.

Just a warning if you transfer in London - their security is VERY tight. I had to put my toothpaste in a plastic zip lock or it would have been pulled!!! Never has to do that before when it was my only " liquid". The 2 1/2 hours layover was JUST enough time.

Things picked up once we got to Prague. Customs clearance was quick and easy and our luggage already on the carousel oncewe got there. We had booked a transfer with Prague Airport Transfer and the guy was waiting there as promised. We were about 30 minutes from the hotel and we were informed upfront what our transfer time was.

Once we got here, the hotel staff noticed our Viking tag on the luggage and directed us to the Viking desk. We booked an extra night through them but did NOT book the entire pre- cruise package so it was a nice surprise to discover we were considered part of the pre - tour group and therefore breakfast was included this am. Viking also arranged for a shuttle service between the hotel and Old Town Square at no cost - a REALLY nice treat...

Walked for hours today - and my feet are quite sore! Early morning tomorrow as we must have our luggage outside the door for 8 am. Our afternoon departure for the boat is moved up a bit as we have to travel a bit further to board. The Elbe is a bit low so are now boarding at Bad Shandau instead of Melnick. I was notified early today so no surprises.

Anyway, heading to bed - will try to post again tomorrow.

Fran

Looking forward to following your trip. Enjoyed your reports and help for Bucharest to Budapest

Keep it coming! And, thanks for the info. on changing at LHR. We were booked with a 55 min. layover there (legal connection time is 1 hr.) and BA changed it so now we have 4 long hours to wait. UGH...but it looks like that will be for the best now. Bon voyage! :)

Looking forward to more posts. It's an enticing itinerary.

Having just connected at Heathrow a few weeks ago can certainly sympathize with the adjustments required for security.

Will you comment further about Prague?

Sorry for the delay.... As mentioned, had to have our luggage our early yesterday and therefore no access to my tablet until last evening. Internet is quite slow so waited until this am to see if things improved.

nordski - will post more about Prague a bit later.

Yesterday we opted not to do the walking tour as we has done it before when we were there with AMA. Instead we took the shuttle into Old Town and walked around. We returned to the hotel and ate lunch at a great restaurant around the corner that was recommended by the Viking crew before boarding the bus.

We were on 3 large buses - boarding times well organized and orchestrated. When we checked in we were given colored tags for our luggage and this designated the bus we were to take. The bags were outside the bus 15 minutes before departure time and we had to take our own bags to the luggage area of the bus (just wheeled them over....) so they could be sure all bags were accounted for.

We ended up at Dechin last evening - not Bad Shandau. We are still in the Czech Republic but are now 1 1/2 hours from Terezin ( our chosen tour for this afternoon). The Litomerice tour is also an hour away (instead of being right off the ship) and so

Viking is offering another closer excursion for those who don't want the longer bus ride.

The boat is as expected - older and smaller than any we have been on so far but well kept. The crew is great and Daniel (cruise director) is amazing. It is obvious, however. that many did not do their homework and were expecting the river boats pictured on TV or in the glossy brochures.

Viking - this message is for you (we all know you monitor these boards...). Given that you are in the process of revamping all of your promotional materials, if you plan on leaving 4 boats on the Elbe, you should take special care to mention the differences between the Fontane/Schulman and the newer boats. Actually got to visit the Alstrid last evening as she docked alongside so will comment later.

Think I will leave for now - am heading off to breakfast. Will include food in another post!!

Fran

Sorry for the delay.... As mentioned, had to have our luggage our early yesterday and therefore no access to my tablet until last evening. Internet is quite slow so waited until this am to see if things improved.

nordski - will post more about Prague a bit later.

Yesterday we opted not to do the walking tour as we has done it before when we were there with AMA. Instead we took the shuttle into Old Town and walked around. We returned to the hotel and ate lunch at a great restaurant around the corner that was recommended by the Viking crew before boarding the bus.

We were on 3 large buses - boarding times well organized and orchestrated. When we checked in we were given colored tags for our luggage and this designated the bus we were to take. The bags were outside the bus 15 minutes before departure time and we had to take our own bags to the luggage area of the bus (just wheeled them over....) so they could be sure all bags were accounted for.

We ended up at Dechin last evening - not Bad Shandau. We are still in the Czech Republic but are now 1 1/2 hours from Terezin ( our chosen tour for this afternoon). The Litomerice tour is also an hour away (instead of being right off the ship) and so

Viking is offering another closer excursion for those who don't want the longer bus ride.

The boat is as expected - older and smaller than any we have been on so far but well kept. The crew is great and Daniel (cruise director) is amazing. It is obvious, however. that many did not do their homework and were expecting the river boats pictured on TV or in the glossy brochures.

Viking - this message is for you (we all know you monitor these boards...). Given that you are in the process of revamping all of your promotional materials, if you plan on leaving 4 boats on the Elbe, you should take special care to mention the differences between the Fontane/Schulman and the newer boats. Actually got to visit the Alstrid last evening as she docked alongside so will comment later.

Think I will leave for now - am heading off to breakfast. Will include food in another post!!

Fran

nice to read your update and hope you continue to enjoy the cruise,

We were on the Schumann last fall and hotel director mentioned that possibly one of the older boats was going to be used as "training" facility in the future?

yes the boat was old, but the attention to detail and service was so over the top, perhaps to compensate for the ship being older? It was possibly one of the best river cruise I have taken, to date, in terms of customer relations and service. We also were not filled to capacity, perhaps 90 pax.

Carol

Dear Fran.

We took this cruise on the Schumann in 2006--pre refurb. Met a delightful group of retired college presidents and their wives. One of the wivesdid not come to dinner the first nite--crying in her cabin--needless to say she was looking for a much fancier cabin. See the pre cruise research is still not being done by some. Is Oliver still the food and beverage manager on the Fontane? If so, please tell him hello from me--a friend of Janos the hotel manager on the Emerald. He took me on a wonderful tour of the kitchens. Enjoy your trip. It is a very good one. It was our first and best Viking trip.

Pat

Had a wonderful day... Weather was cool in the morning but warmed up quickly. As we were docked in Dechin for the day, we had a bit of a sleep in and a leisurely breakfast. Breakfast was part buffet with a small menu offering as well I decided to splurge and had Eggs Benedict and it was very good. Lots of fresh fruit around so also had a fresh nectarine....(figured the extra fruit would relieve some of the guilt around the high fat breakfast!!!)

Daniel (CD) gave a talk on the Czech Republic (which DH and I attended - and enjoyed) and then the Captain was going to give a "Nautical" talk (which we decided to bypass). Instead, we went for a walk up to Dechin Castle and wandered back through part of the town. Dechin Castle has been there since the 10th century, but is being refurbished as the last inhabitants (communist army) left the place a mess. The views from the castle grounds are spectacular.

After lunch, we left for Terezin. We only drove through the area that was used as the Jewish Ghetto as the area does have people living there and therefore not much ability to get inside the buildings. We went down the road to the fortress that has been there much longer - and was the area used as a prison (housed the young man who shot Ferdinand and started WWI before prisoners brought there during WWII) as well as being used as housing for **** officers and their families. We got to see a clip of the propaganda film produced for the Red Cross where the ****'s convinced them that Terezin was a "happy" place as the Jews were living in their own town. A sobering excursion, I must say.

Dinner was great - I chose the optional steak and it was very good. The food overall has been excellent. Will post on overall impressions of the food later. After dinner we had a song/dance group performing traditional Czech music. Most people did attend and the group was well received.

Pat - Slawomir is the food and beverage manager. Hotel manager is Artur. All crew members - from the Captain on down - are very visible and involved in day-to-day tasks. We had an actual safety drill (often we get a talk instead of the practice run) and it was the Captain standing up on the sun deck demonstrating how to put on the life vests. They actually sounded the emergency bell so we would know what it sounded like

should it sound off.

The life vests are interesting...shrink wrapped and sealed in a plastic bag. Funny comment on the instruction sheet..."Life jackets reduce the risk of drowning! They do not give any guarantee of rescue!". And yes, the exclamation marks are there (I didn't add them).

Am heading to bed now - stayed up as I figured the internet might be quicker when most are in bed. Quiet day sailing tomorrow am so another bit of a sleep in... Maybe will have French toast for breakfast.

Fran

Hey, Fran, I think we had Daniel as our CD years ago on the same trip. Is he German and studied in the States (Chicago I think)? He was very knowledgeable about East Germany and the "Cold War", etc.

Hey, Fran, I think we had Daniel as our CD years ago on the same trip. Is he German and studied in the States (Chicago I think)? He was very knowledgeable about East Germany and the "Cold War", etc.

Daniel is German - and is very knowledgeable about East Germany. He said he has been with Viking for 4 years now.... so may be the same guy, if you travelled in this time frame.

Fran

We actually sailed today!!! We left Dechin around 11 am, and docked in Bad Schandau around 1. Daniel did a commentary about the surrounding countryside along the way. Beautiful country.

Well, I did have French toast this am - and it was delicious. When we entered the dining room this am, one of the waitresses approached me and asked if I wanted Eggs Benedict again. When I said I thought I would have French toast, she asked if I wanted a double helping... (I asked for 2 eggs yesterday, instead of the usual 1). Great recall... the staff here seem to have a great memory for detail. Quite impressive - given this is just our 2nd full day on board.

After lunch we boarded buses and drove to Bastei (about 45 minutes away....). What an amazingly beautiful place. The 1st lookout level is quite easy to manage - but, lots of steps to get to the 2nd place (Bastei Bridge) and the 3rd (circular walk/lookouts). There were warnings about the amount of steps --> 100 steps to get down, which means the same to get back!! Got my work out today, that is for sure. The ride back was via some back roads, so a little less time to return to the boat.

Dinner tonight was a German themed dinner. You could eat in the lounge, or in the dining room. Beef, chicken, pork, potatoes, salads, dumplings, cold meat, pretzels.... and lots of beer & wine. There was a duo playing German music in the dining room - and they were very good. Most staff were dressed in traditional German costumes.

I want to comment, again, on the food - and the wait staff. The food so far has been top notch. Great selection --> well-prepared and presented - and the staff is so accommodating. The head chef - and the restaurant manager - are always visible - and are constantly seeking feedback. They keep reminding everyone to let them know if things are not up to spec, and thank you for each and every comment you give them. The hotel manager is also visible. I realize that this is a small crew - but I must say that their presence, and their willingness to please, is phenomenal.

We have an early start tomorrow. We are now docked in Dresden - and there are 3 activity levels for the city tour tomorrow. There are also 3 optional tours in the afternoon, but we have booked a visit to the VW plant on our own. Again the attention to detail, and recognizing the different activity capabilities - is impressive. Part of this may be due to the older demographic (this has to be the oldest group overall that we have travelled with). Lots of great people, but many with mobility challenges.

Must be off. I am on the shared computer in the lounge to allow me to type faster - and someone is waiting.

Fran

Fran, did you miss the sail-in for Dresden? Or did you meet the ship there by bus? Seeing the bridges, opera house, Cathedral, and other buildings lit up at night as you sail in was a big deal when we went. But then again, you may have arrived during the day or too late at night.

Thanks so much for taking the time to tell us about the cruise. Look forward to all your posts. We sail from Prague on July 16th. We are flying to Munich a week early for a few days there, then taking train to Seefeld and Salzburg , Austria, and on to Prague. Anyone done this or been to those cities? Lynda

Fran, did you miss the sail-in for Dresden? Or did you meet the ship there by bus? Seeing the bridges, opera house, Cathedral, and other buildings lit up at night as you sail in was a big deal when we went. But then again, you may have arjrived during the day or too late at night.

We arrived in during day light hours amd are leaving in early morning light tomorrow....

Fran

Thanks so much for taking the time to post as you sail. This is an itinerary I've thought about and I'm glad to get a first-hand report.

FuelScience

No - still in Aquarium class for this one. Our "suite" trip is China in October.

Fran

The day started with the Dresden tour....We opted for the "Up close & personal" (ie: entirely walking) tour. Our guide was very knowledgeable - the same one we had for our Bastei tour. We walked from the ship at 9 am - and arrived at the museum for 10 when it opened. Monday was a holiday here, so all museums are open (usually they are closed on Mondays....). It did mean that there was no opportunity to shop in Dresden. The Green Vault held some amazing pieces - and our guide was able to explain the history of many of them. DH and I both noticed how still the area was... as if there was limited air circulation.

Dresden has been almost entirely rebuilt after the extensive damage it suffered during the war. I found some great postcards in the Gift Shop at the museum where the Green Vault is - one showed Dresden from the air before the war, then some of the Frauenkirch and the Zwinger square after the bombing - and then some of the buildings today. It was a great visual of the devastation that Dresden suffered - and how they have rebuilt.

There were a number of optional excursions in the afternoon, but we had pre-booked a tour of the VW plant. The plant was walkable from the ship although it was a good walk (took us 25 minutes). It was interesting, although it would have been more interesting to see the production line (not working due to the holiday).

We had some spotty rain during the day - but Viking does have umbrellas by the front door - so didn't have to drag mine out.

On my way to a wine tasting... will post again later!!

Fran

Today was the Meissen tour. We went by bus to the Meissen factory - and them some free time down town.

So, thought that this might be a good day for a "treat".... DH and I have been married 36 years today so figured a nice piece of Meissen might be fun to have. Well, a cup & saucer would have cost more than a nice night on the town (dinner & a show....) so needless to say, no nice piece of Meissen left with me. The factory is interesting, as there was a demonstration of how the pieces are hand sculpted and painted. I did buy a small and inexpensive medallion to hang on my Christmas tree.

After the tour we went by bus back into the town. We had an option of walking to see the cathedral or going into old town. We decided to go into town to see if we could find a toy store for DH (figured that he could still have a treat, even if my Meissen treat was a bust... :D)

We went to a toy store with another couple we met on the boat. DH was looking for die cast cars - they were looking for board games. Well... this toy store also had a great selection of Christmas ornaments and decorations - and I am addicted to Christmas stuff.

There was an entire back room filled with smokers, and nutcrackers, and pyramids (I think that is the name for the whirly things that have candles....) and ornaments, and wooden figurines. The prices were quite reasonable as well. I bought a number of ornaments for myself, and for gifts. DH found one little car - for 3 euros. Now, we did find a Model store close to the bus pick-up point - and he did get 2 cars, so he was happy. Next to that store was a Christmas store - but the prices there were significantly higher than what I paid. If anyone is interested, I can post the locations for both.

We left Meissen just after we returned to the boat - and the afternoon was spent sailing. Lots of things planned.... the wine tasting at 2:30, a German tea/cake party at 3:30, a presentation on "Germany Today" by Daniel (CD) at 4:30 and then the Viking Explorer Society "party" at 6. After dinner, you could either attend a lecture on life in Germany (lecture by a retired teacher) or take walk through Torgau with Daniel. Always lots to do.

Tomorrow we get a bit of a sleep in again... (am thinking Eggs Benedict might be a good way to start tomorrow....) and then we will be in Wittenberg for the afternoon.

Am heading off to the lounge (hoping it is still open....) for a relaxing drink with DH before heading off to bed. Guess I will have to be content with a cup of tea if the bar is closed...

Fran

Edited by franski

Hello Fran,

great to read your posts and that you are having a good time. Wittenberg, lots of history lessons for you today. :D

Those wooden things are called Christmas pyramids:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_pyramid

notamermaid

Thank you... I have a large one (bought in Cologne - when we did the Christmas markets) - and picked up an ornament yesterday that says Meissen - with a very small pyramid inside. Good to know that I did remember the name!!

Looking forward to Wittenberg. I am aware that many of the churches and Luther sites are under refurbishment, but am counting on the guides being as knowledgeable in Wittenberg as they have been so far on the cruise.

Fran

Edited by franski

I want to post a bit on the food... I may post again, but there was a situation yesterday that I wanted to share with you.

The food has been excellent. Breakfast = buffet plus menu. The menu does not change, although the buffet does. The breads and pastries are very fresh, lots of fresh fruit available. Juice comes from the kitchen. Coffee and tea promptly served. I have had both the Eggs Benedict and the French Toast from the menu - and they were both delicious. I did order doubles - as a regular order is one egg/ one slice of French toast (cut in 2).

Lunch = Buffet plus menu. LOTS of options, as well as an option for a lighter meal in the lounge. The soups are fantastic if you like cream soups (which I do). I am trying not to eat dessert at lunch - and a few times have opted for a soup and salad --> as I want to be able to fit into my clothes when I leave.

Dinner = menu. There are 3 starters to choose from, 3 main courses (meat, fish or vegetarian) and 3 or 4 desserts. Always the option of ice cream and/or sorbet and a cheese tray. If there is one thing that I would prefer, it would be more pastries offered at dinner - but this is a small thing, and a very personal choice. The "alternative"main course offerings are steak, chicken and salmon. I had the steak once - and have spoken to other passengers who have had the salmon or the chicken - and all are in agreement --> VERY good.

Now - yesterday.... One of the passengers is of Czech descent and had been taking this opportunity to use her Czech language skills. The staff on the ship seem to enjoy the opportunity to speak with her in Czech. When she talked about the foods she grew up with, the chef - Peter - offered to make her a special meal... and made her soup with sauerkraut, sausage, sour cream etc. It looked very delicious - and when I commented on it, the Maitre 'D went back into the kitchen and discovered there was enough left in the pot for me to have some as well. It tasted even better than it looked!!! Peter came out to see how she liked it - and commented that he had to search for the ingredients, as some of the things (such as the sausage) where not exactly as they would have been if it had been made in the Czech Republic.

It was a wonderful experience for her - to be able to enjoy some of the foods from her childhood. And it was wonderful for me to be able to share in this "treat" even though I do *not* share that wonderful heritage. Kudos to Peter and the team for providing such a wonderful experience for her - and finding a way for me (and DH) to experience it as well.

Fran

I have found that Viking goes out of their way to accommodate. When we did the Passage to Eastern Europe. it was over Thanksgiving. The chef made a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner for all.

While Viking may have some problems, I have enjoyed all my trips and look forward to my two in July.

Robert