First-Ever Viking Cruise coming up.....

RJS21753

Hi, We are joining our first ever Viking River Cruise in April - The Rhine from Switzerland to Amsterdam. We understand that the trip includes excursions etc. with the option to go on other excursions for a charge.

When we have done cruises with P&O you get the option to remove the tips from the account and pay what you like at the end of the cruise to whoever you wish. Does Viking offer the same ? Or do they take the tips from your account at the rate they 'suggest'. The tips seem a little steep according to their paperwork - I would welcome some advice from past passengers on Viking Cruises.

regards

Ray and Jan

Tips on Viking are completely up to you.

While they 'suggest' a tip amount they do not add them to your account, your account will only have drinks if you order them form the bar. Bear in mind, there areunlimited red and white wines*, beer and soft drinks with lunch and dinner, complimentery fizz with welcome meeting and sometimes drinks with other events.

Viking have envelopes at reception at the end of the trip into which you can put whatever you feel appropriate, seal and leave in a box at reception, or you can pay with a credit card.

If you don't want to tip anything, then the only person who will know is yourself.

(at the weclome reception the programme manager will pretend to be embarrased and say they'be 'been asked by a passenger' about amount to tip. phooey)

*much better than I expected, they are not cheap plonk, they're from Viking's own wnery in the Wachau Valley, Austria. The white is Gruner Veltliner and red Zweigelt. And you can bring on board as many drinks as you like, so we were gettng wines from wineries and wine shops we visited on that trip and having them with dinner. No corkage, no problem. (I'm into my wine)

Edited by pontac

Yes, you can put any amount of gratuity on a credit card, either the "suggested" amount or less. What you cannot put on your credit card are any discretionary amounts you may wish to go to those staff members whom you feel went over & above in providing service to you. Those gratuities must be given in cash. Also, it is suggested that the guides and drivers for the daily tours be tipped at the end of the tour. The suggested gratuity is 2 euros pp for the guide and 1 euro pp for the driver( if there is one).

Becki

I found it very easy just to add the suggested amount at the end of the cruise with a credit card, and then I gave our room steward a little extra in cash as he went way above and beyond in decorating our room on our 10th anniversary. Please don't stiff the room steward and waiters. They work incredibility hard. We found the service to be extraordinary in all areas and truly worth whatever the suggested amount was.

Does anyone recall what Viking's recommended tips are?:D

Recommended tips are printed in the personalised 'Your Itinerary' booklet you get before departure and the programme manager will be certain to repeat them at the welcome event :)

European tours are suggested in Euros, I assume other destination will be in local currency, and hopefully appropriate to that country.

Here its €2 per person per day for programme director, €12 per person per day for rest of boat staff, €1 per oerson per day for drivers, €2 per person per day for local guides -- suggested to pay at end of trip in cash. Restaurants, tips are included - service compris.

Different point, and I know Americans have a very different view of tipping than us Europeans, but a suggested tip of €2 per person per day for the programme director seems less like a tip than paying their wages.

On my next ship there are 94 cabins, assuming 2 people per cabin and an 8 day cruise works out as 2*8*94= €1,504

The French minimum monthly wage rate, by law, is €1,457.52

With 40 cruises this year on that one boat, the programme director could be coining more than €60,000 on top of their salary in 2015.

Unless the programme director does some special service for me, I'm not clear why I should tip such an amount.

Edited by pontac

Different point, and I know Americans have a very different view of tipping than us Europeans, but a suggested tip of €2 per person per day for the programme director seems less like a tip than paying their wages.

Yes, you are indeed paying their wages, they are independent contractors, not employees and they survive only on the tips.

By the end of the tour you will appreciate why they are worth the money as they are generally working every waking hour during the cruise and will have many opportunities to enhance your experience.

Of course if you get one that is not delivering you can express your displeasure in the tip, but due to the direct dependance on the tips they are strongly incentivized to make sure you are happy.

I, too, find the suggested rates a little high but that is also because the Euro costs us Canadians quite a bit right now.

That being said, I still plan on tipping (maybe at a slightly reduced amount) because there are so many behind the scenes people who contribute to one's cruise experience. There are the laundry staff who make sure that you have clean linens, towels and clothing, the kitchen staff who ensure that you have good food, pastries that are to die for, etc. On an ocean cruise, there are even more behind the scenes people. But the only staff that one tends to interact daily with are the room steward(s), dining stewards and just a few members of the entertainment staff.

IMO, it is a disservice to withdraw the entire auto gratuity (or suggested gratuity) from all staff to later reward just a few. Certainly, if one goes above and beyond, one should reward that individual personally and in addition to the suggested gratuity, but please reconsider taking it away from the rest of the crew.

Enjoy your cruise!

Another how can I remove my gratuity thread :(

If you are not comfortable paying gratuities maybe you should sail one of the MANY European River cruises companies that don't expect tipping. The staff on the ships are paid differently and the cruises priced differently.

Edited by JVilleGal

Looking at the total of what you will spend on this river cruise, the tips represent only a small part. Those who will receive them have worked very hard to make your trip enjoyable. If you feel they did not accomplish this, then by all means, adjust the tips. If you feel you cannot afford the suggested amount because of the exchange rate, then perhaps you might want to reconsider the cost of the rest of the trip too. Tipping those who work incredibly hard for your benefit is not the place to economize. This is not an American viewpoint but rather "doing the right thing" viewpoint.

Looking at the total of what you will spend on this river cruise, the tips represent only a small part. Those who will receive them have worked very hard to make your trip enjoyable. If you feel they did not accomplish this, then by all means, adjust the tips. If you feel you cannot afford the suggested amount because of the exchange rate, then perhaps you might want to reconsider the cost of the rest of the trip too. Tipping those who work incredibly hard for your benefit is not the place to economize. This is not an American viewpoint but rather "doing the right thing" viewpoint.

You know, you're right.:rolleyes: I should just cancel my cruise which I booked when the Canadian dollar was at ~1.08 last June, made final payment last December at $1.15 and now it's at ~1.30 to the US$. It makes much more sense to lose $5+K/person just because someone thinks that I should reconsider my trip because my crystal ball wasn't working and I didn't foresee the C$ tanking.

I'm guessing you didn't read the rest of my posting, either, when I said that I still planned on tipping. I have never removed the auto tip when I cruise on ocean cruises and I don't plan to for the reasons I gave in my post. However, the suggested rate on Viking is only a suggestion. When I said that I MAY reduce the amount, it would be from 12 Euros to 10 Euros per day. I certainly don't plan on stiffing anyone but tipping is a very personal choice and should always be dependent on the services provided. If the services warrant 12 Euros, that's what will be given. If not, a lesser amount will suffice. YMMV

On our last 2 Viking cruises, at the conclusion of the Captain's farewell dinner, they had a parade thru the dining room of the entire ship's crew and staff, including all those behind the scenes people we rarely consider, as Alberta Quilter has mentioned. It was nice to see these people given some open recognition. It did drive home how many "support"people there are that we may never come in contact with.

Becki

Yes, you are indeed paying their wages, they are independent contractors, not employees and they survive only on the tips.

Mark, if that is so it's disgraceful.

I understood that Viking's staff are their employees(except in Portugal where only the Programe Director is dierctly employed by Viking, all other shipboard staff are a Portuguese river cruise company employees). Their adverts for staff working on boats say

Viking employs nearly 4,000 of its own highly trained, English-speaking crew worldwide—all dedicated to making its guests’ stay memorable. Viking’s Swiss management team overseas global operations—from shore excursions to catering and nautical—and offers Viking College, a custom employee training program. Viking has one of the highest retention rates in the industry due to its comprehensive compensation package, employee-friendly benefits and team building spirit.

Maybe I'm naive but '4,000 of its own highly trained' sound like employees to me, and 'comprehensive compensation package, employee-friendly benefits' sounds like a salary.

On the River Cruises (not just Viking) this seems to be standard that the Cruise Director is compensated in this manner. The CD has a seasonal contract and those tips from the passengers is his pay. Apparently this is just how it works. So don't blame Viking. These jobs are highly sought after on the rivers of Europe.

Pontac, remember, we are talking about the Cruise Director, not the rest of the staff.

Viking have many employees, just not the one that was specifically being singled out in respect to the suggest tip level.

At least for Americans. The Euro is at a 12 year low against the USD. So when I paid 1.40 for one Euro a few years back and now pay 1.07 I am getting a bargain. Even if the USD was not as strong as it is I always pay the suggested tip and more to individuals who have shown me outstanding personalized service.

The salaries are minimum and as mentioned upthread the cruise managers get a small stipend from the cruise line but basically their income is based on their tips. The 7 river cruise lines I have done all (except 1) had the hardest working people in the position of cruise manager.

As cruises sold in the US are priced in USD I am not doing any cruises this year in Europe as the value is in land vacations. Top, 5* hotels, especially in Budapest and Vienna are steals right now.

Enjoy your cruise.

You know, you're right.:rolleyes: I should just cancel my cruise which I booked when the Canadian dollar was at ~1.08 last June, made final payment last December at $1.15 and now it's at ~1.30 to the US$. It makes much more sense to lose $5+K/person just because someone thinks that I should reconsider my trip because my crystal ball wasn't working and I didn't foresee the C$ tanking.

I'm guessing you didn't read the rest of my posting, either, when I said that I still planned on tipping. I have never removed the auto tip when I cruise on ocean cruises and I don't plan to for the reasons I gave in my post. However, the suggested rate on Viking is only a suggestion. When I said that I MAY reduce the amount, it would be from 12 Euros to 10 Euros per day. I certainly don't plan on stiffing anyone but tipping is a very personal choice and should always be dependent on the services provided. If the services warrant 12 Euros, that's what will be given. If not, a lesser amount will suffice. YMMV

Rereading my post, I do not see that I suggested cancelling your cruise. Yes, I did read your entire post and I am aware that you do plan to tip. You said that the suggested tip amount seems high because of the cost of the Euro purchased with Canadian dollars. It sounds as if you are basing the tip on the exchange rate and not the value of the service provided. Thus my statement about reconsidering the rest of your trip is because everything you purchase/spend while in a country where Euros are used will also seem high compared to the Canadian dollar.

At least for Americans. The Euro is at a 12 year low against the USD. So when I paid 1.40 for one Euro a few years back and now pay 1.07 I am getting a bargain. Even if the USD was not as strong as it is I always pay the suggested tip and more to individuals who have shown me outstanding personalized service.

The salaries are minimum and as mentioned upthread the cruise managers get a small stipend from the cruise line but basically their income is based on their tips. The 7 river cruise lines I have done all (except 1) had the hardest working people in the position of cruise manager.

As cruises sold in the US are priced in USD I am not doing any cruises this year in Europe as the value is in land vacations. Top, 5* hotels, especially in Budapest and Vienna are steals right now.

Enjoy your cruise.

Well said. The exchange rate is always a consideration when visiting another country. So while it may be necessary to watch expenditures closely, i still feel it is important to adhere to the suggested tipping guidelines so that those who work to make my trip special are rewarded. Don't want to penalize them for an unfavorable exchange rate.

We paid the suggested tips but thought the rate was on the high side for the ratio of staff to passengers and the level of service provided. Ocean cruises do not have as high a rate set and I've always paid in American dollars. Ocean cruises have a better staff to passenger ratio and offer more service.

We were really surprised to be asked to pay a tip to the program director but we did. As someone else said tipping in Euros adds to the expense for most of us,

Viking did not take our credit card until the end of the cruise when we were instructed to go to the front desk to settle our account, at that point they ask you if you want to add tips to the bill. We added the expected amounts, I would be embarassed not to.

Another how can I remove my gratuity thread :(

If you are not comfortable paying gratuities maybe you should sail one of the MANY European River cruises companies that don't expect tipping. The staff on the ships are paid differently and the cruises priced differently.

Excellent point! If one prefers not to pay gratuities, then one ought not not cruise with a line which compensates workers according to the tip based model. There are plenty of lines that follow the all (or mostly all) inclusive model and compensate their employees accordingly.

Although a PP's arithmetic is correct, the assumptions behind the assertions about Program Directors income is off base. The PDs on the line I cruise with seldom, almost never work back to back cruises, so they don't get tipped for working anywhere close to 320 days that the pp assumed. Their are tax consequences to being an independent contractor that result in them paying higher taxes than if they were an employee being paid a wage.

I, too, find the suggested rates a little high but that is also because the Euro costs us Canadians quite a bit right now.

That being said, I still plan on tipping (maybe at a slightly reduced amount) because there are so many behind the scenes people who contribute to one's cruise experience. There are the laundry staff who make sure that you have clean linens, towels and clothing, the kitchen staff who ensure that you have good food, pastries that are to die for, etc. On an ocean cruise, there are even more behind the scenes people. But the only staff that one tends to interact daily with are the room steward(s), dining stewards and just a few members of the entertainment staff.

IMO, it is a disservice to withdraw the entire auto gratuity (or suggested gratuity) from all staff to later reward just a few. Certainly, if one goes above and beyond, one should reward that individual personally and in addition to the suggested gratuity, but please reconsider taking it away from the rest of the crew.

Enjoy your cruise!

The Euro is less expensive in Canadian dollars (and also in Pounds) now than it was a year ago. As your tips and all the European costs will be in Euros, your additional expenses will be lower than you thought when you booked. You are really coming out ahead, unless you are transiting a US airport and spend any money there . . . but that should be minimal.

Edited by CPT Trips

Rereading my post, I do not see that I suggested cancelling your cruise. Yes, I did read your entire post and I am aware that you do plan to tip. You said that the suggested tip amount seems high because of the cost of the Euro purchased with Canadian dollars. It sounds as if you are basing the tip on the exchange rate and not the value of the service provided. Thus my statement about reconsidering the rest of your trip is because everything you purchase/spend while in a country where Euros are used will also seem high compared to the Canadian dollar.

There is no "rest of the trip" to consider for us.

As stated previously, I will base the gratuity, that I choose to give, on my value of the service(s) I receive and nothing else. Anyone else can do as they choose to do.

I've come to believe, whether it's tips in restaurants or on a cruise, that in the grand scheme of things that extra dollar or two I'm debating over probably means more to the person waiting on me than it does to me. Based on that thought I'll always leave the suggested amount.

I too factored in the cost of "tipping" when setting up a budget for our cruise and plan to tip the suggested amounts with maybe a little extra for anyone who goes "above & beyond".

My understanding is that the "pool" tip could be added to your bill at the end of the cruise and paid by credit card. Can the tip for the PD also be added to the bill and paid by cc or must it be in cash? Just trying to be sure I have enough Euros on hand if needed to be in cash.

Leaving next Wed (Viking COL - Prague to Paris) - DW & I are really looking forward to our 1st RC and the extra week we will spend in Paris after the cruise is over.

Thanks,

Bruce

Can the tip for the PD also be added to the bill and paid by cc or must it be in cash? Just trying to be sure I have enough Euros on hand if needed to be in cash.

Yes, in Europe that is not a problem.

Elsewhere there are different rules in place:

"The local guides or tour escorts that travel with you in Southeast Asia, China, Russia and Ukraine and the on board Program Director in Russia and Ukraine do not share in the on board staff gratuities – it is customary to tip them separately and in cash."