Viking River Cruise

deltawanderer

Thought I would share my first experience on a river cruise. We took a Viking cruise from Passau to Budapest in June this year and found it very enjoyable with one exception. We booked a French Balcony room so we could enjoy the views from our room but found that many of the days we had another Viking ship tied to us so absolutely no view. This also happened a few times while dining or enjoying the lounge. I may be wrong but suspect Viking saves money by having a sister ship tie up to them? If I had to do this again I would not pay the substantial amount of extra money for a French Balcony that is virtually useless. Other than that the trip was great with excellent staff looking after everyone's needs and great tours and tour guides.

We booked a French Balcony room so we could enjoy the views from our room but found that many of the days we had another Viking ship tied to us so absolutely no view. This also happened a few times while dining or enjoying the lounge. I may be wrong but suspect Viking saves money by having a sister ship tie up to them? If I had to do this again I would not pay the substantial amount of extra money for a French Balcony that is virtually useless.

Due to the sheer volume of river boats wanting to tie up at popular locations, you will find all ships, whichever cruise line you choose, will from time to time have to raft up one alongside another, sometimes several deep. Unfortunately, it's one of the occupational hazards of river cruising, along with too high or too low water levels. As to the French balcony, we wouldn't cruise without one. I suppose it's what you want it for. We love to be able to open the window, get some fresh air and hear the water lapping, birdsong etc. Most of the time when we're moored, we're either ashore or if we're dining we're chatting to our fellow diners.

We were rafted quite often on the Eastern Danube trip this spring. I don't mind--we get the balcony room as well and it's nice at nice when your cruising to sit out and get fresh air and see the stars. When you're docked during the day, chances are you won't be in your room.

Just a word of caution: peek through the curtains before flinging them open first thing in the morning. I may or may not have done that in my underwear and the lady in the cabin 8 feet away may or may not have done the same thing at the same time. :rolleyes:

We also had a French balcony on our Danube cruise and loved it. A couple of times we were unable to use it, but most days we were able to open it and enjoy the fresh air. As mentioned in another post, being tied to another boat is common. As a matter of fact I knew about this in advance. It didn't stop us from signing up for another cruise, this time on the Seine.

Thought I would share my first experience on a river cruise. We took a Viking cruise from Passau to Budapest in June this year and found it very enjoyable with one exception. We booked a French Balcony room so we could enjoy the views from our room but found that many of the days we had another Viking ship tied to us so absolutely no view. This also happened a few times while dining or enjoying the lounge. I may be wrong but suspect Viking saves money by having a sister ship tie up to them? If I had to do this again I would not pay the substantial amount of extra money for a French Balcony that is virtually useless. Other than that the trip was great with excellent staff looking after everyone's needs and great tours and tour guides.

Dear Deltawanderer,

While we’re happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your first river cruise, we regret to hear you were disappointed in your stateroom accommodations and hope you will contact us at tellus@vikingcruises.com so that we may further discuss the details of your concern. Thank you for joining us on the Danube, we look forward to hearing from you and hope to soon see you on another river.

Best regards,

Viking Cruises

All the lines did this on our Russian River cruise (I was not on Viking). Due to the abundance of ships and few docking locations, it is necessary at times.

Glad you had a great trip!

Edited by Coral

All the cruise lines did it on our Nile cruise too. Often half dozen or more tied up side by side and we had to go through the lobbies of all the boats to get on and off. I enjoyed seeing the inside of all the other boats. We didn't open our curtains when we were tied up (rafted) side by side. It is also common on European river cruises. I am sure it could come as a surprise to first time river cruisers who are not aware of the common practice and necessity.

Unfortunately, this is one of those things that a little research a head of time would have saved some money. If you had known this, you may have booked a less expensive cabin.

Edited by Coral

The odds of looking out you window or veranda and seeing only another boat should be far less than 50%. Much depends on the number of days that the boat is in port as opposed to being underway, the number of times that there are few other boats in port at the same time, and the amount of docking space. On a 14 night cruise the odds could well be at 25%. With 2 boats rafted, one half of the cabins would face the the near shore or the other side of the river while the other half face each other. The whole question comes down to how many boats are in a port at the same time and if they have to raft 3 or more deep.

Just a word of caution: peek through the curtains before flinging them open first thing in the morning. I may or may not have done that in my underwear and the lady in the cabin 8 feet away may or may not have done the same thing at the same time. :rolleyes:

At least you both has something on! :)

Another good reason why we always book the cheapest cabin on the lower deck. We don't go to the room for anything but sleep anyway.

This is exactly why I was willing to try the aquarium class stateroom for our upcoming cruise.

We had a French balcony on our May Rhine cruise. There was one time that we were rafted with another boat, and we found it fascinating! There was just a few inches between the boats, and we took some "artsy fartsy" pictures looking down the side of the boat. I really wish the people with the balcony on the other boat were out. It would have been fun to talk with them!

There was such a short time that we were rafted, that it didn't really affect anything.

While I loved the French balcony, I would still be very willing to have an aquarium cabin. We really spent so little time in the cabin. And, as long as I get some daylight, I'm good. Now, if I can just convince my husband. . .

This is exactly why I was willing to try the aquarium class stateroom for our upcoming cruise.

Here Here!

We too always book balconies and on our Danube had the bigger balcony even (sale) but every day...at least for part of the day...we were rafted with our sister ship.

This last cruise down the Rhine we went with the cheaper 'Aquarium Class' and it was just fine.

Here Here!

We too always book balconies and on our Danube had the bigger balcony even (sale) but every day...at least for part of the day...we were rafted with our sister ship.

This last cruise down the Rhine we went with the cheaper 'Aquarium Class' and it was just fine.

The ships have lovely outdoor spaces with comfortable seating in both the sun and shade. Easy access to the bar or coffee machine too.

We would not be able to handle one of the aquarium cabins on a Viking longship, but not because we have to have a balcony.

My wife has some walking difficulties with stairs. The aquarium cabins are on the lower deck with elevator access. The elevator only goes to the middle and upper decks.

Anyone who has problems with stairs should take this into account.

We booked a balcony cabin on the Viking Lofn, which is a new longboat. We have taken 30+ cruises on "regular" cruiselines, and almost always book an inside cabin. The inside cabins are on high decks, across from balcony cabins. However, when looking at the aquarium cabins on our upcoming river cruise, I felt uneasy about having a cabin that is 75% underwater. We decided to pay the extra charge for the balcony - on the top floor of the Lofn. When we are on the Lofn this month, I'll check out the aquarium cabins to see if it is a viable, cheaper alternative for our next river cruise.

On the Viking Var next November, we have a Balcony because I, also, do not like the idea of being Under Water (although I am an excellent swimmer). I will be sitting out on my Balcony every morning and evening. I don't care what I am looking at. :D

We are on the viking Skirnir leaving Budapest 8/31/15, terminating in Nuremberg with an extension in Prague. We are traveling with 3 other couples who are friends of ours and none of us have previously taken a river cruise. Looking for river cruising insight and hearing from someone on our cruise.

We must have been extremely lucky on our first cruise Viking Budapest to Amsterdam (9/14) we were in a French Balcony and we never rafted on our side toward another ship except for our embarking day for a few hours and then had a glorious view of the bridge all night!!!!!

We loved our French Balcony!

All the cruise lines did it on our Nile cruise too. Often half dozen or more tied up side by side and we had to go through the lobbies of all the boats to get on and off. I enjoyed seeing the inside of all the other boats. We didn't open our curtains when we were tied up (rafted) side by side. It is also common on European river cruises. I am sure it could come as a surprise to first time river cruisers who are not aware of the common practice and necessity.

Have fun on your Viking Rhine Getaway, Banditoo! We sail 8/31 on Viking's Skirnir on the Romantic Danube from Budapest - our first river cruise, though we have been on many ocean-going cruises.

On the Viking Var next November, we have a Balcony because I, also, do not like the idea of being Under Water (although I am an excellent swimmer). I will be sitting out on my Balcony every morning and evening. I don't care what I am looking at. :D

This is what the view is when rafted next to another ship. If you have a balcony, then you look at drapes and railing.

ry%3D400

Have fun on your Viking Rhine Getaway, Banditoo! We sail 8/31 on Viking's Skirnir on the Romantic Danube from Budapest - our first river cruise, though we have been on many ocean-going cruises.

Have a great time on your cruise too. End of August should be lovely weather for both of us!:)

This is what the view is when rafted next to another ship. If you have a balcony, then you look at drapes and railing.

ry%3D400

I assume that is the aquarium class window? Will be just fine for us as we spend so little time in a room. I have also heard that swans will often swim right up alongside the windows...would love to see one at eye level!

Edited by banditoo

I assume that is the aquarium class window? Will be just fine for us as we spend so little time in a room. I have also heard that swans will often swim right up alongside the windows. would love to see one at eye level!

I think I will see a little more from my Balcony. Anyway, I'll be out there with my coffee, greeting the Swans, as they watch me put on my makeup. ;)