Panama Canal Signs

Turk1

When we were on the Panama Canal cruise, Princess provided all the supplies to make the signs. You can start making them a few days early, before hitting the locks.

All the supplies and tables were out in a public area. If I recall correctly, near where the passengers photos are displayed.

Pam

When we sailed last year, they had a table set up outside the photography desk. They basically had some water colors, markers, crayons, and some stencils. We had to ask for a piece of cardboard to make the sign, and of course they want you to make it all there on the table, and then later, get a picture of you with it. We had to take ours back to the room as had LED lights to put on it.

Everything on the table, was pretty much used up and we took a few things ourselves and left them behind for the next cruise. If it's something special you want to do, you might pick up somethings at the dollar store to take along and leave on the table.

Our first trip through, they had a helicopter flying overhead, taking pictures during the canal transit. The trip last year, they only had photographers standing on the sides of the canal, taking pictures & video. They will include these photo's in the "great wall of pictures", and usually include a few in the Reflections DVD they sell at the end of the cruise.

We made a sign at home before we left because I didn't want a sign made out of cardboard. I just made it on our computer and then had it printed at Staples. Our sign was big enough for all of us to hold and it had stuff that was important to us on it. It was clearly visible to the people who waved at us from land or other ships in the locks. We brought the sign back with us and put it in our spare room when we got home. It was also used as the cover of our photo book.

Have fun making your sign no matter where you do it. It's a tradition when doing the canal cruise.

IMG_0103.JPG.8a42c8b427751ab95d086fbb473b7135.JPG

When we sailed last year, they had a table set up outside the photography desk. They basically had some water colors, markers, crayons, and some stencils. We had to ask for a piece of cardboard to make the sign, and of course they want you to make it all there on the table, and then later, get a picture of you with it. We had to take ours back to the room as had LED lights to put on it.

Everything on the table, was pretty much used up and we took a few things ourselves and left them behind for the next cruise. If it's something special you want to do, you might pick up somethings at the dollar store to take along and leave on the table.

Our first trip through, they had a helicopter flying overhead, taking pictures during the canal transit. The trip last year, they only had photographers standing on the sides of the canal, taking pictures & video. They will include these photo's in the "great wall of pictures", and usually include a few in the Reflections DVD they sell at the end of the cruise.

We did this on the Coral too.

DW and I just booked our first Panama Canal cruise for early 2019, but I have never heard of people with signs. Anyone mind filling me in? Are there lots of people around the locks that can see these signs?

The ships photogs see the signs.

Other than the public viewing decks and canal personnel no there are not a lot of people that can see the signs.

When we were on the Panama Canal cruise, Princess provided all the supplies to make the signs. You can start making them a few days early, before hitting the locks.

All the supplies and tables were out in a public area. If I recall correctly, near where the passengers photos are displayed.

Pam

On our cruise on the Island from the end of this past Feb. to the middle of March, the supplies were on a couple of table on the bottom floor of the atrium (Deck 5?).

Tom

The ships photogs see the signs.

Other than the public viewing decks and canal personnel no there are not a lot of people that can see the signs.

If the Hi def camera is on line at Miraflores Locks and you display your sign on the right (as in correct) side, the whole www can share your transit. The "right" side is starboard going north and port southbound.:)

DW was tipped by one of the photogs on our Coral partial that if she saw them on the shore she should call out. She did, and they picked her out for the video.

We were on our starboard side balcony towards the back, and when the videographer got to us, he just looked up and said "wow". It's in the Reflections DVD we bought. As you can see from this video, it was hard to miss the sign, which is what we intended :D

If the Hi def camera is on line at Miraflores Locks and you display your sign on the right (as in correct) side, the whole www can share your transit. The "right" side is starboard going north and port southbound.:)

I thought about that when typing my response...........

Used to watch that camera quite a lot and never really saw anyone onboard specifically.

At least not like the webcam leaving Ft Lauderdale where you see people/flags and signs all the time.