Wang wang

TheCalicoCat

Yes to the first one. Doubtful on the second one. I don't recall even seeing anything served in an oversized shot glass.

I had to look it up, so here goes:

1. Pour 1 oz Kahlúa into a 3-ounce shot glass.
  2. Using the convex side of a bar spoon, slowly pour 1 oz Baileys over the Kahlúa, making sure not to disturb it, to create a layered effect.
  3. Using the same technique, layer the Crown Royal (1/2 to 3/4 oz) over the Baileys.

As a general rule, if you drink something weird, it's your responsibility to know how to make it (This doesn't apply to the Wang Wang, since it's a well known HAL thing,)

I found four variations on this drink, but this is supposed to be the original.

An Alaskan original created more than 20 years ago at the Peanut Farm in Anchorage, this layered cocktail is said to be named for the sound you’ll make after drinking one.

This recipe was featured as part of Chowhound's Drinks Around the World for New Year’s Eve.

Wang Wangs are known by every stewed and bartender. I've tested them all ...

They do have an internal menu option on the tablets now.

You take your research pretty seriously, don't you?:D

All the ship bartenders are familiar with what a Wang Wang is, and can make you one

1/4 oz Vodka

1/4 oz Gin

1/4 oz White Rum

1/4 oz Scotch

1/4 oz Bourbon

1/4 oz Tequila

1/4 Triple Sec

1/4 oz Brandy

Top it off with Pineapple and Orange Juice

Add a splash ofGrenadine

Thanks, one of those might kill me! Now that I have the recipes (thanks again) I now want to know how a wang wang differs from a Long Island iced tea. (Internal curiosity, but your replies most welcomed!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wang Wangs are known by every stewed and bartender. I've tested them all ...

They do have an internal menu option on the tablets now.

Um, is "stewed" a reference to the one who drank it?;)

Gotta love autocorrect.

Thanks, one of those might kill me! Now that I have the recipes (thanks again) I now want to know how a wang wang differs from a Long Island iced tea. (Internal curiosity, but your replies most welcomed!)

They both taste good but pack a punch ;p

Duck Fart sure looks tasty

I had my first duck fart at the Salty Dawg Saloon in Homer, Alaska. Oooh, it was good. I plan on having another one next month when I'm up there again. I've also had a wang wang - only one and never again. I left the Ocean Bar giggling my way out and down the hall way.

I've never had a Wang Wang but do plan on trying one on our up coming Alaska cruise on the NA in July. It sounds like a lot of booze but it's still only 2 oz. Not something I'll drink more then one at a sitting. More as something for a sail away.

Allan

I've also had a wang wang - only one and never again. I left the Ocean Bar giggling my way out and down the hall way.

That's too bad, I might need a bit of courage on that one & since you will be on the ship with me...

(It sounds to me like an after dinner in the bar before bed time type of drink.)

The standard Long Island Iced Tea recipe uses 3/4 oz of each liquor, but the big difference is that the Wang Wang's juices are replaced with 3/4 oz lemon juice, 3/4 oz simple syrup, and topped with cola.

My guess is that the HAL version uses 1/4 ounce instead of 3/4 ounce portions. I've seen them and they're not served in a big enough glass or priced high enough for 3/4 ounce pours.

Tried a "Wang Wang' on our last HAL cruise. Why not? we had the unlimited drink package... Had 2 a matter of fact. VERY tasty, but beware... I only remember HALF of the football game we were trying to watch!

Tried a "Wang Wang' on our last HAL cruise. Why not? we had the unlimited drink package... Had 2 a matter of fact. VERY tasty, but beware... I only remember HALF of the football game we were trying to watch!

The 2nd one will definitely have an impact :cool:

I now want to know how a wang wang differs from a Long Island iced tea. (Internal curiosity, but your replies most welcomed!)

Only clear spirits vodka, tequila, rum, gin & triple sec. mixed with sweet and sour mix and a splash of coke. :tropical-drink:

We attend the Mixology classes religiously while onboard. We've been told by a few bartenders on a few cruises during these classes that they no longer have the Wang Wang on the published menu because they've had a few incidents with the guests that drink too many and get plastered. They'll generally still make you one if you request it.

Another of my favorites, the Pomegranate Ginger Drop, has been absent from the menu the last few times I've been aboard as well, but I've never had a problem getting the bartender to make me one regardless of the bar I'm in.

We attend the Mixology classes religiously while onboard. We've been told by a few bartenders on a few cruises during these classes that they no longer have the Wang Wang on the published menu because they've had a few incidents with the guests that drink too many and get plastered. They'll generally still make you one if you request it.

Another of my favorites, the Pomegranate Ginger Drop, has been absent from the menu the last few times I've been aboard as well, but I've never had a problem getting the bartender to make me one regardless of the bar I'm in.

Now I know to check the dailies for a mixology class!

& Oh my gosh does Pomegranate Ginger Drop sound good.

Recipe from the HAL Blog circa 2010 (Gotta love google)

1 lemon squeeze

1 1/2 oz vodka

1 oz Dish D’Lish Lemon & Lime Sour Cocktailor cocktail mixer

1/2 oz Monin Ginger Syrup

1/2 oz POM

Garnish: Deep, superfine-sugar rim, small piece of candied ginger on a pick

1. Squeeze and drop 1 lemon wedge into a pint mixing glass.

2. Measure vodka, Dish D’Lish Lemon & Lime Sour Cocktailor, syrup and POM into the glass.

3. Fill pint glass to the top with ice.

4. Cap and shake vigorously.

5. Strain into superfine sugar-rimmed martini glass.

6. Garnish with a small piece of candied ginger on a pick.