Do all Carnival ships now use the card slot to keep the cabin lights on?

PlanoDebbie

For those that stay in a hotel the night before cruise, simply keep one of the hotel room key cards upon checkout, and use that for your light key on the ship. This ain't rocket surgery.

I wouldn't use paper, but that's me. Your mileage may vary.

Anyone know if this is on the Sunshine?

Not on the sunshine. Sailed her in Aug. Did not have it. And hasn't done drydock since.

2nd. I use a spare card cuz I leave my cell phone charging sometimes and it leaves my digital clock on in the room

We have been cruising since 1996. On every cruise, we always turned the lights off before we'd leave the cabin. Each time, when we'd return at the end of the night, our cabin steward would have turned down the bed and left a bedside light on. We never understood why they always left a light on when you can turn the lights on as you walk into the cabin.

Does the stewards still leave a light on now that they have the slots?

We have been cruising since 1996. On every cruise, we always turned the lights off before we'd leave the cabin. Each time, when we'd return at the end of the night, our cabin steward would have turned down the bed and left a bedside light on. We never understood why they always left a light on when you can turn the lights on as you walk into the cabin.

I have never had a steward turn off or turn on my lights they are always as I have left them

Now that I think about it, all our lights were off when we arrived back to our cabin and the card stayed in the slot the whole time on Vista. On Glory, they would turn the one lamp by the bed.

I'm wondering how much longer this approach will be used on cruise ships. I think the fact that so many people are realizing that they can put any piece of cardboard in the slot to defeat the system is going to spell the end of this approach. I don't remember which Cruise Line it is but one of the brand new vessels doesn't have the system even though it was present on the previous class of ships of that line.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I was on the Breeze last April and there was card slot. This was a great idea that does save energy when a guest is not in their cabin and you can not leave the sign & sail card in your cabin. The next cool idea is a thumbprint pad to enter your cabin and to buy drinks,etc.

Gary

• 11 months later...
I was on the Breeze last April and there was card slot. This was a great idea that does save energy when a guest is not in their cabin and you can not leave the sign & sail card in your cabin. The next cool idea is a thumbprint pad to enter your cabin and to buy drinks,etc.

Gary

The next idea in this vein that is rumored to be on the horizon is a wristband with an RFID chip, similar to the one Disney uses at their resorts and theme parks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The next idea in this vein that is rumored to be on the horizon is a wristband with an RFID chip, similar to the one Disney uses at their resorts and theme parks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe Princess is bringing the RFID chip to their ships and of course people don't like that for various reasons. Change is hard at times. But to get this straight, takinig a card out of the slot turns off the power as well as the lights? Don't like that, could make it harder to charge various devices. If I leave a card in the slot, can I still turn off the lights with a switch so I am not leaving the lights on when I leave?

I have just used an old used gift card for years. That way if I forget it in the slot it is never a big deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Forums mobile app

There are always people who want to skirt the system. It is done for a reason, but so many people think they are different.

There are always people who want to skirt the system. It is done for a reason, but so many people think they are different.

Yeah because your devices won’t charge if there isn’t a card in it. If they designed it better then there wouldn’t be a need to skirt around it. Even the RS have cards premade up for these contraptions. Carnival should have saved their money and not bothered with these PITA devices.

What our RS gave us on Vista. A cut up beach towel card.

08426187e15098cfe9d7aa02159065d6.jpg

In my experience, this is incorrect. I've been on several ships with the technology and never had any issues with charging devices while the card was out.

On the Vista this was certainly the case. It was even confirmed by the Room Steward. I asked. See post #160 in my Vista review.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2474346

Edited by firemanbobswife

In my experience, this is incorrect. I've been on several ships with the technology and never had any issues with charging devices while the card was out.

Not true. When I sailed the NCL Getaway, I had to have a card (any card. I used an old sail card from a previous cruise) in the slot to be able to have ANY power in the cabin, to charge my phone. The whole point of the card in slot devices is to save on power when nobody is in cabin.

Not true. When I sailed the NCL Getaway, I had to have a card (any card. I used an old sail card from a previous cruise) in the slot to be able to have ANY power in the cabin, to charge my phone. The whole point of the card in slot devices is to save on power when nobody is in cabin.

Interesting. Getaway is one of the ships we sailed on. Charged devices all day long without a card in the slot! :confused::confused::confused:And yes, the whole point is to save power - as in LIGHTS - when nobody is in the cabin. Too many people apparently were never taught to turn off lights when they leave a room!