Do all Carnival ships now use the card slot to keep the cabin lights on?

PlanoDebbie

Nah... each room will come with one plug that continues to be free. But the 2nd plug and usb outlets will charge if you use them.

Being Carnival, they will offer a "Faster to the Ohm" device charging package. ;p

I can see people lined up at guest services on the last day trying to square up their electric bills.

Maybe a combo drink/electric package: "Cheers and Amperes!" :')

Give a few extra watts to the winner of the Electric Slide dance contest......

OK, i'll go back and sit in the corner. Bad Ralph! Bad Ralph!

:'):'):')

Being Carnival, they will offer a "Faster to the Ohm" device charging package. ;p

I can see people lined up at guest services on the last day trying to square up their electric bills.

Maybe a combo drink/electric package: "Cheers and Amperes!" :')

Give a few extra watts to the winner of the Electric Slide dance contest......

OK, i'll go back and sit in the corner. Bad Ralph! Bad Ralph!

I can see this, but when most people skirt the system as I plan to do next week on Vista by putting an old gift card in there, it defeats the purpose. I will leave the card in when I leave the cabin if I need things to charge. Actually, my old gift card will remain there for the duration of the cruise, so it will be like not having that system in place at all. Now if the wiring weren't tied to the plugs, then that would be different. Hated it on the Solstice and I will hate it on the Vista.

It's a pretty big assumption that "most people" will skirt the system. Not everyone will think of using a different card just as not everyone is not here reading this. Even if half of the people no longer leave their lights on, the purpose is not defeated.

so many differing opinions and some facts on whether the outlets stay powered when the lights are off. All I can say is I'd sleep with the lights on if that was necessary to keep my CPAP working while I sleep. It doesn't make sense, not that that is a good reason.

so many differing opinions and some facts on whether the outlets stay powered when the lights are off. All I can say is I'd sleep with the lights on if that was necessary to keep my CPAP working while I sleep. It doesn't make sense, not that that is a good reason.
The outlets still work. Anyone who tells you different is providing incorrect information.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Not true. When I sailed the NCL Getaway, I had to have a card (any card. I used an old sail card from a previous cruise) in the slot to be able to have ANY power in the cabin, to charge my phone. The whole point of the card in slot devices is to save on power when nobody is in cabin.
Guessing user error is the cause here.

The outlets still work. Anyone who tells you different is providing incorrect information.

Did you ever think that maybe different cruise lines have different companies that they use for the devices, therefore, they might not all be the same? Or they may have them configured differently? The ones we had on Celebrity DID work to charge your things without the card from what I remember. Carnival does NOT. More specifically the Vista does NOT. If they did then I wouldn't have found out the hard way and my Room Steward certainly wouldn't have lied to my face when he confirmed it. No incorrect info here, Bub.

You can still turn all the lights off individually like the other way with the card in the slot. It only acts a a master switch for the power. So keep the card in and turn the lights off as usual.

• Like 1

Did you ever think that maybe different cruise lines have different companies that they use for the devices, therefore, they might not all be the same? Or they may have them configured differently? The ones we had on Celebrity DID work to charge your things without the card from what I remember. Carnival does NOT. More specifically the Vista does NOT. If they did then I wouldn't have found out the hard way and my Room Steward certainly wouldn't have lied to my face when he confirmed it. No incorrect info here, Bub.
My apologies. I thought this was the Carnival forum.

And the outlets on the Vista most certainly worked with the lights off. I spent three straight weeks on her and had no problem charging items at night.

• Like 1

I would hope that if saving power is the intent that they interlock the air conditioner as well. That's got to be a bigger contributor to the problem than lights.

With regard to the matter of charging devices, I wouldn't assume that that is a big enough concern to enough passengers, yet, for cruise lines to consciously consider the impact of such interlocks on that. Even though some passengers might care a lot about it, I expect it to still be in the category within which different cruise lines would include or excluded it from consideration 50/50. I think some cruise lines would be more concerned about what else passengers may inadvertantly leave plugged into the standard outlets, i.e., curling irons, poor quality multi-socket power strips, etc.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

And the outlets on the Vista most certainly worked with the lights off. I spent three straight weeks on her and had no problem charging items at night.

Really? Well then I guess cabin number 7456 was the only one that had that issue and even the RS confirmed it.

And yes they work with the lights off, just not when the card is removed from the slot.

The question was not whether the outlets worked when the lights were off. You can leave a card in the slot and still turn the lights off manually. The question was, and still is, whether the outlet on the desk loses power when the card is removed from the slot.

The question was not whether the outlets worked when the lights were off. You can leave a card in the slot and still turn the lights off manually. The question was, and still is, whether the outlet on the desk loses power when the card is removed from the slot.

You are correct and that’s exactly what I was saying. The answer is the power outlets do work with the lights off, however, they do not work when the card is removed from the holder thingy. You can have the lights off while the card is still in the slot, but you can’t have the lights or power outlets on without it.

So many varying examples for so many different ships. Guess I'll have to find out for myself about the outlets. But as long as I can keep a card in the slot and turn out the lights to still have power to the outlets, it will just be a small inconvenience.

So many varying examples for so many different ships. Guess I'll have to find out for myself about the outlets. But as long as I can keep a card in the slot and turn out the lights to still have power to the outlets, it will just be a small inconvenience.

Yes you can and you would want to keep the card in the slot anyway in case you need to get up in the middle of the night and turn a light on. I don’t know of any reason why someone wouldn’t put a card in the slot at night. As soon as you come in the door you have to in order for the lights to come on. Would make no sense to remove it before bed. So as long as you do that you will have power to the outlets.

• 1 year later...

The room attendant leaves his business card so you can just use that. On my last one, I'd just pull the card out and wedge it into a gap in the ceiling when I went out. Then pop it back in when we returned. I think it's a convenient way to turn off the climate control and lights when I come and go. I do care about the environment, so I'm more than happy to spend the extra two seconds each time I come and go. All the power for these systems is direct from fossil fuels. ( I know some ports have plug-ins for cruise ships, but I've never been to a port where I've actually seen them in use.)