Do all Carnival ships now use the card slot to keep the cabin lights on?

PlanoDebbie

Wait until the next generation comes out. Will require a discrete card with chip linked to your folio. You will be billed for all energy consumed at the nominal rate of $0.35 per kWh. :D

Ok, I kid but it actually isn't a bad idea. ;)

Shore power rates are cheaper than ship power in case you were wondering.

Even with LEDs, those extra watts add up.

Wait until the next generation comes out. Will require a discrete card with chip linked to your folio. You will be billed for all energy consumed at the nominal rate of $0.35 per kWh. :D

Nah... each room will come with one plug that continues to be free. But the 2nd plug and usb outlets will charge if you use them.

So, for our devices (iPads and cells) to charge, the lights have to be on? They won't charge overnight in the dark?

As long as you keep some kind of card in the slot the outlets will work all the time. Doesn't matter if you have the lights on or off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
No just the newer ones.

The Victory has been retro-fitted with it in each cabin. It's an older ship so they may be doing that with more vessels. I know the Breeze and Vista has it and if I'm not mistaken, the Magic also.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's correct.

Actually, I tested that when I was on the Victory last month and the electrical outlets do work, it's just the lights that go off to save electricity.

So, for our devices (iPads and cells) to charge, the lights have to be on? They won't charge overnight in the dark?

No, they will work in the dark. I wondered the thing and tested the outlets after removing the card and the lights went out and my phone charged overnight. Only the lights go out. I was on the Victory twice last month, both times in an updated room.

Actually, I tested that when I was on the Victory last month and the electrical outlets do work, it's just the lights that go off to save electricity.

Not on Vista. I even asked my cabin steward. He said no to the outlets, yes to the AC. I had a piece of paper in it, he took it out said it could be a fire hazard and put a plastic card in it. I had brought an old gift card, but it was packed away when we first got onboard. The card remained in even as I walked out the door to leave the ship.

Not on Vista. I even asked my cabin steward. He said no to the outlets, yes to the AC. I had a piece of paper in it, he took it out said it could be a fire hazard and put a plastic card in it. I had brought an old gift card, but it was packed away when we first got onboard. The card remained in even as I walked out the door to leave the ship.

Okay fine, but it should be uniform on every ship.

My cabin steward had his business card in the slot and replaced it when I removed my S&S card and left the cabin so it's very interesting you have differences on the same system.

Okay fine, but it should be uniform on every ship.

My cabin steward had his business card in the slot and replaced it when I removed my S&S card and left the cabin so it's very interesting you have differences on the same system.

It might have to do with the Victory being retrofitted vs Vista that was built that way.

No, it's not fleet wide. nychad10, I'll know in June when I'll be on the Sunshine unless someone who knows comes forward before I do.

Just saw your question was already answered in the affirmative.

Just off the Magic, Saturday and couldn't figure out the 'slot' system either on embarkation day (Stupid of me, NOT reading the post about the electricity sitrep on the Carnival threads, I had seen the topic, but thought maybe it was about the newer class CCL ships). When I opened the cabin door to see if that would activate it, a CCL rep was walking by and I asked him, 'Why no electricity?' He smiled and said ' No problem, sir, And he took out one of his business cards, stepped inside my cabin and showed me where the slot was and inserted his card and said, 'Now just press your button down and your lights will come on, and you can continue to use that card instead of having to leave your S&S card in the slot so you won't accidently lock yourself out. I silently thought to myself,' Just how MANY older (75+or older) will use one S&s cards for the 'slot' and leave their other card in the room and find themselves in that situation? I also wondered, IF this will save CCL enough fuel to offset the tons of confused phone calls and long lines of locked out passengers lined up at customer service desk? I guess some IT genius at corporate office, decided he MIGHT get a bigger office cube OR a penny raise, or at least a 'ATTA BOY' comment from his boss. :( Just wondering if ALL the other cruise lines have followed this route, anybody heard?

Mac

The Victory has been retro-fitted with it in each cabin. It's an older ship so they may be doing that with more vessels. I know the Breeze and Vista has it and if I'm not mistaken, the Magic also.

Ohh yeaaa, the Magic surely does. :( Just got off her last Saturday (cabin 8353) and while I read this header in the threads, for some unknown reason I figured 'they' were referring to the NEW gen of ships, not the lowly Carnival rustbuckets that plow the Caribbean.So, when my light switch didn't work, a passing steward took one of his business cards out and explained it to me. Boy !! Did feel like a 1st grade moron. Was sorry to hear that it seems like it's fleet wide on CCL and I guess it'll eventually come to RCL and I bet others. BAD news and suggestions always travel at light speed. But a good suggestion, something too the passenger's benefit..? Nawwwww !! Might cost us a extra penny !! Just an idle thought, don't wanna upset anybody ? :)

Mac