Star Azipod News and progress

karoo

We got in around 9:15am. I can attest to the Azipods working fine. Captain said he had them going at 80%. I wish others a wonderful trip. We didn't see any New Zealand ports except Auckland. However, love Down Under so we will see it on another NCL cruise.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

Glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers for the pic, Seabourn Encore in the middle of NCL Star and The World.:D

The world was docked at pier where the star was the day before and they moved it, horrible terminal in Auckland. No AC, untrained contractors from a tour company handling check ins. Then this was the dumbest part, once they got you checked in on computer, they had to take all the passports, visa and documents to a table with only two NCL staff with laptops to complete it, we left almost a hour late due to the check in speed.

Whenever I see a seabourn ship, it reminds me of the movie Speed 2, they all sort of look the same.

Last nights tiny move, was smooth and perfect, had the best steak in a long time in Cagney's, called the tomahawk chop.

I'm on board all the way to Venice, it's going to be great. Every one is nice, this is my 4th time on the Star, trying to get used to the changes. I hate they got rid of the outdoor buffet and bar behind the buffet, it was my thing to grab lunch and eat it, sitting at the old bar and enjoy the atmosphere back there. It's now some kids water slide play area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The world was docked at pier where the star was the day before and they moved it, horrible terminal in Auckland. No AC, untrained contractors from a tour company handling check ins. Then this was the dumbest part, once they got you checked in on computer, they had to take all the passports, visa and documents to a table with only two NCL staff with laptops to complete it, we left almost a hour late due to the check in speed.

Whenever I see a seabourn ship, it reminds me of the movie Speed 2, they all sort of look the same.

Last nights tiny move, was smooth and perfect, had the best steak in a long time in Cagney's, called the tomahawk chop.

I'm on board all the way to Venice, it's going to be great. Every one is nice, this is my 4th time on the Star, trying to get used to the changes. I hate they got rid of the outdoor buffet and bar behind the buffet, it was my thing to grab lunch and eat it, sitting at the old bar and enjoy the atmosphere back there. It's now some kids water slide play area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The Star has never had an outdoor eating area or bar behind the buffet.

The Pearl and Jewel have an area like that.

That is good, hope she doesn't have any more issues.:D

Yes- the cruise is going really well. The weather gods have given us two great port days so far and the wake is still looking nice and symmetrical.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Karoo are you on the February 18 cruise temping the male population!

I'm sure I'm not, although I have managed to close the Spinnaker Bar down most nights hanging out with Aussies and Kiwis with the odd Scot thrown in. Thank god most of them got off today- now I might get some sleep!

PS- Connie is back again!!! I told you she's the one who's been sabotaging those Azipods!!!

I'm not an engineer- we need Cheng to help us out here. But I don't think they are connected. Azipods are to do with the propulsion. Stabilizers are what the ship uses if the water is rough to help the ship not rock around too much if the seas are choppy. I always thought they were on the side of the ship, but I could be totally wrong. The sea was very calm overnight and we were up over 20 knots. We left late as two passengers were late. Anchor was up and we were ready to leave when they turned up. Captain decided to wait for them. We then had to wait for them to be tendered out to the ship. So we left at 5.30 instead of 4.30. Captain had already extended the time as we were originally scheduled to leave at 3pm. He has also extended our time by an hour today in Cairns so I don't think he's worried about the propulsion system.

No, there is no connection between the stabilizers and the azipods. The stabilizers would be located about midway between bow and stern on both sides. The only interrelation between the stabilizers and propulsion is a safety feature that automatically retracts the stabilizers when ship's speed falls below 6 knots (to prevent the Captain forgetting to retract them and clipping a dock with one sticking out, which happened on the Sky back in 2000).

If the divers were aft, they were likely looking at the pods. Not sure where you are right now, and what the local fishing industry is like, but there may be some concern about having wrapped some fishing line around a pod. The POA took out a buoy in Honolulu, and went all the way to Maui with half the buoy, a hundred feet of chain, and a large concrete anchor wrapped around one pod.

There could be any one of a number of underwater inspections and repairs that they are taking advantage of clear water and a tender port (both sides available) to complete.

The ship is doing 20.3 knots right now, the tour guide warned us, when she heard we were off to Darwin, she said we might be sailing into a weather system on the northern part of the coast. While the people are on the ship, they might as well look at everything. I'm sure, they don't want anything happening again, since they just ordered 4 new 140,000 ton ships, with a option for 2 others to be built in Italy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...