Can I avoid garlic on Solstice?

Harve

Unfortunately, over the last few years, I have developed an inability to digest a number of foods to various amounts.

Most I can manage in small quantities but the smallest amount of garlic

has 'unfortunate' effects on my digestive system.

Lately garlic seems to be the goto additive for so many foods to give it some flavour

- my wife and I have just about mastered reading food packaging fineprint.

My question, for those who have cruised with Celebrity before, is

- do you think there is the likelihood of finding much nongarlic-containing food aboard or will I just have to stick with the staples?

Would I have more chance sticking with specialty dining rather than the MDR? (or vice versa?).

Reading some of the posts here about the blandness of some of the meals maybe I'm concerned for no reason?

I do not believe that you will have any issue with garlic. I stopped eating in the MDR back in 2009. The final straw? "Garlic Chicken" that had never seen, let alone touched, a clove of garlic.

More seriously, just make sure your waiter or assistant maitre d' are aware of your requirement for no garlic and they will look after you.

Unfortunately, over the last few years, I have developed an inability to digest a number of foods to various amounts.

Most I can manage in small quantities but the smallest amount of garlic

has 'unfortunate' effects on my digestive system.

Would I have more chance sticking with specialty dining rather than the MDR? (or vice versa?).

My two grandsons have peanut allergies and have always discussed this with the Maitre 'd or Head waiter as soon as we board. They have always been taken cared of throughout the cruise.

Garlic that you can smell is easy to identify - it's that minimal amount added to enhance the flavour that tends to get me.

I'll just do what I usually do when we eat out - ask the Maitre 'd for pointers. And my wife is of Sicilian backround so I use her as my food 'sniffer'.

It's always so amusing to watch their face when I ask in the Italian restaurant for a meal without garlic.

Even better when they ask what happens if I eat garlic - and I tell them before my wife can stop me.

You can avoid it, but will need to take care.

No idea why some cooks think everything goes better with garlic.

I think they use it as a replacement for MSG.

Except for my wife who thinks everything is better with garlic.

Edited by Harve

I don't eat garlic either and have never had a problem on X, even in the MDR (shock horror :eek: :D). But I don't eat sauces either, so that may have something to do with it :confused:? I request all my meals without the sauces/vinaigrettes but with extra vegetables - never been a problem yet.

Weve cruised on Solstice with a friend who is allergic to garlic and after advising the maitre'd and her dining room wait staff they looked after her superbly and went thru the next day's menus each night to work out what she could have.

Also at speciality restaurants she gave them advance notice and they also couldn't do enough to ensure she had a wonderful garlic free experience!

We were all very impressed with how her allergy was handled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by QE2_Fan

Thank you for sharing your experiences with Celebrity.

That has put my wife's mind at ease.

I think she was seeing me confined to our cabin for the majority of the cruise (we do have a verandah so I don't see it as too much of a hardship).

I would hope Celebrity can accommodate a NO GARLIC person. On another somewhat comparable line a man at my dining table could not eat food prepared with Garlic Each night he and the area supervisory steward would go through the next night's meal options. With one exception the chef was willing prepare any dish he wanted without Garlic, as long as he ordered it the NIGHT before. The one thing he could not special order was Prime Rib. A whole roast would need to be prepared just for him without Garlic and the rest discarded as most folks would not be happy with a garlic-less Prime Rib dinner. In that case he was able to order an off the menu Steak if he really wanted beef that night.

My wife also has to avoid garlic and, having followed the protocol in notifying the cruise line ahead of time and, if possible, meeting with the Maitre D or his associate, this issue has not been a problem. Although, I must point out, we are in AQ and eat in Blu.

You are lucky to have a true garlic detector in your wife who can pick up on trace amounts. I perform the same service for my spouse with fewer skills :).

Some Italian chefs, especially from the north it seems, argue that the copious amounts of garlic found in some dishes may, at times, substitute for a professional chef's weaknesses in that preparation. But I'm no judge of that.

Good advice given here. Do notify the Celebrity "Special Needs" department of your dietary needs. However don't expect this to really get to the people who need to see it. Once you board make your way to the dining room where the Maitre 'd will be setup to handle dining issues. Most people are looking to change seatings or get a better table. But it's important to notify them of the restrictions here. They will make a note on your room number and should get you a visit from the assistant Maitre 'd covering your area before dinner the first night.

As soon as the waiter makes contact the first night inform them of your special dietary needs. They are going to need to hustle to get your meal prepared on the special line in the galley the first night. Then each night they should show you the next nights menu and go over it with you and take your order. You should have no problems. Don't assume that something can't be done, just ask and see what they say.

If you are dining in MDR I might suggest fixed dining so you have the same waitstaff each night. If you are in select you may want to request to be assigned the same waitstaff each night and might need to be flexible on the dining time.

We found when dining in Blu it was actually easier for them to handle since meals are mostly cooked to order. They did ask us to dine after the rush so they could pay more attention.

It's Celebrity's handling of my DW special dietary requirements which has had us coming back for years.

Yes, they will easily be able to accommodate the need.

We were seated on one of our Bermuda cruises with a lady who could not eat garlic. They brought her the next night's menu and prepared her dinner.

You'll need to be extremely careful with things like salad dressings and sauces. While the chef may not add garlic, the base that they use may contain garlic or garlic salt.

Our tablemate often had a salad with honey mustard dressing (basically mayo, honey and mustard mixed together for her) because she couldn't eat any of the pre made dressings.

The buffet will be your biggest challenge.

You can avoid it, but will need to take care.

No idea why some cooks think everything goes better with garlic.

but..it does!

OP{ you should contact Special needs and inform them of your issues so it can be noted in your file. you may be required to pre order the next day's dinner so it can be made garlic free( just send it my way)

They do a great job handling allergies.

My DD is allergic to soy, rice, tree nuts, peanuts, apples, oranges, melons, eggplant, and more. I no longer keep track of it all now that she is an adult. The Celebrity staff did a great job all over. She ate in specialty restaurants, in the Bistro on 5 (where they made her crepes from scratch because the usual mix has soy in it) and dined in Select where they took good care of her. We did have the same wait staff each night, but did not always eat at the same time.

Just preorder each night and remind them of your allergy each night.

Thank you all for the feedback, It's our first time cruising so we don't have any real idea of how the system works aboard.

Looks like there shouldn't be too much of a problem by the look of it.

If needed I can always fall back on the 'no sauces or dressings' to be on the safe side but from your comments that shouldn't be necessary.

Thank you all again for being so helpful.