Living on a Cruise Ship

captjohn

If anyone is willing to sponsor us, we will seriously consider taking up residence in the Regent Suite on Explorer for the rest of this year :D:D

We promise to abide by the dress code, even when in our suite, and will not complain about the Regent website or Wi-Fi :cool:

John, thanks for sharing--provocative article. flossie009 will sponsor y'all--for an ice cold Aperol Spritz or two on board the Mariner (Shanghai to Tokyo) in March 2019.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just $100 pp/per day? I know what cruise lines that's NOT on.

It might work on NCL, Carnival or Royal Caribbean? You would be likely be living in an inside cabin that is 120 sq. ft. (Accurate square footage of NCL's smallest cabin).

Actually Crystal has four ladies living on Crystal between the Symphony and the Serenity. One lady who we know well lives in a Penthouse.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cruise-ship-living-retiring-to-a-life-at-sea/

We met a retired US Navy Captain living onboard the Mariner last November. The staff said he has lived on Regent ships for years.

I'd bet dollars to donuts they're not doing it for $100/day. If I could do that, I'd sell my house and telecommute until I retired or died...

I'd bet dollars to donuts they're not doing it for $100/day. If I could do that, I'd sell my house and telecommute until I retired or died...

Bill, of course they are negotiated on Crystal which is a luxury line and commit to the $$$. A basic cabin which was mentioned was $175K a year. The penthouse I am sure is more. I won't dare ask our friend what she is paying. Who cares they are treated like royalty.

Miles

One thing I think most of us learned is not to believe everything you read in print.

Even when there have been articles on one of the women who does live on Crystal Serenity the price they have quoted has been all over the place.

The prices for both the cruise and then when they talk about independent living make no sense.

But that is part of writing these days. Don't worry about the facts. Make it up.

For some living on the ship has turned out to be a great option. Putting cost aside it is not for everyone, but for those we know they are very happy but that doesn't mean it is a good option for everyone.

Keith

Bill, of course they are negotiated on Crystal which is a luxury line and commit to the $$$. A basic cabin which was mentioned was $175K a year. The penthouse I am sure is more. I won't dare ask our friend what she is paying. Who cares they are treated like royalty.

Miles

Obviously you wouldn't ask someone what they're paying - but even assuming $175K a year you're talking around $480 a day - a FAR cry from the $100 a day mentioned in the article. And that's assuming the numbers are correct. Being treated like royalty is nice, to be sure, but I like having some living space, my motorized toys, and my dog. Until a cruise line will let me bring my fuzzy buddy with me, living on a ship ain't gonna happen. I'd need my car and at least one of my bikes, too. Actually, the more I think about it, I think I'd prefer living on land and cruising more often than I do now - that's my idea of living like royalty. :D

Obviously you wouldn't ask someone what they're paying - but even assuming $175K a year you're talking around $480 a day - a FAR cry from the $100 a day mentioned in the article. And that's assuming the numbers are correct. Being treated like royalty is nice, to be sure, but I like having some living space, my motorized toys, and my dog. Until a cruise line will let me bring my fuzzy buddy with me, living on a ship ain't gonna happen. I'd need my car and at least one of my bikes, too. Actually, the more I think about it, I think I'd prefer living on land and cruising more often than I do now - that's my idea of living like royalty. :D

Bill, you are probably not old enough to make that leap. For these ladies it beats a nursing home. I agree you can't sail on a luxury line for $100 a day and certainly not in a PH like one lady we know really well. Mama Lee on the Serenity has racked up 350 cruises and Shirley on the Symphony has over 250.

Miles

Greetings from South Beach, UUNetBill, where both of our Chihuahuas live. On the subject of dogs, DH is more comfortable than I am with boarding our canines. For the TA this April on Explorer, they boarded for 17 nights. They survived very well. Six days later when they went back to get the Spa Package, they walked right into the place. The little traitors never even looked back. I must say that they both looked adorable later in their powder blue bow ties. As far as taking our little princes on even Explorer, the smallest is three pounds plus. He could slip through too many openings on the vessel or get crushed by the high tech doors. The other guy is over seven pounds. He would survive a little longer.

QM2 has 24 kennels on deck 12. We once booked a 24 day cruise on her because the Cruise Consultant on board told us the Chihuahua we had then could accompany us in the kennels. She said Cunard would let us know about the kennel arrangements later. They certainly did. Our dog could only stay aboard until South Hampton. At that time the TA was six days. So, the other eighteen days? No dog, no deal.

Mary