Change in itinerary on the Ruby

judyjudy56

We just boarded the Ruby today. The itinerary had been changed from having a sea day to having a day at the dock in LA. According to the captains announcement it has to do with the weather. We are not happy at all about this. They have added a few excursions in LA but it is supposed to be raining. There is a film crew aboard to do a marketing video. My guess is Princess doesn't want to pay them for an extra day. Lunch menu in the dining room was different. No avocado with shrimp. So far all the announcements have been very difficult to understand due to such heavy accents. It seems like our 4 day getaway is going to be a bit of a joke.

On the ship with you, disappointed as the view in the LA port leaves something to be desired. But, my husband and I call these types of occurrences 'adventures'. Some adventures are better than others...LOL. We will make the best of it and enjoy the ship and what it has to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry to hear that. Weather is something that you don't want to mess with. Sure the ship could probably go out but you wouldn't be happy with the rocking and rolling. Better to stay in port on your luxury resort hotel and make the best of it.

Got caught in Stavanger for an overnight on the Emerald Princess last August due to high seas off the coast of Norway. Even the next day we couldn't leave until late afternoon due to winds keeping her on the dock. We missed our next port but still made the best of it. It happens.

Well, that's travel, even travel on a cruise: Crap happens. Last month in Bhutan our bus sat in the middle of a dirt road in the middle of nowhere for over four hours because a house-sized boulder had fallen on the roadway. Compared to that, being stuck on the Ruby for a day sounds utterly luxurious. At least you won't have to pee in the trees.

We did a 4 day out of LA last year and we missed EVERY port due to weather. We stopped in San Diego (not on the original itinerary) because we couldn't tender in Catalina. Then in Ensenada, we never docked because the wind kept blowing the ship back. We got an extra sea day. Many people complained, but I had a great time. I was on a ship! (Crown.) Food! Entertainment! Cocktails! Working plumbing! They gave us a glass of bad wine at dinner as compensation.

Wait.....you're losing the First AND Last day of your cruise by sitting in the Port of LA??

YIKES!! :eek:

It appears they did not lose much if any of the first sea day.

Original report by OP at 4:15 local time:

We just boarded the Ruby today. The itinerary had been changed from having a sea day to having a day at the dock in LA. According to the captains announcement it has to do with the weather. We are not happy at all about this. They have added a few excursions in LA but it is supposed to be raining. There is a film crew aboard to do a marketing video. My guess is Princess doesn't want to pay them for an extra day. Lunch menu in the dining room was different. No avocado with shrimp. So far all the announcements have been very difficult to understand due to such heavy accents. It seems like our 4 day getaway is going to be a bit of a joke.

Report from other member on board all of nine minutes later:

Were sailing away as I type this. We are coming back a day early and staying in the LA Port that day.

Rereading the first post closely it may have been referring to the lost sea day at the end of the cruise in the first place--no where does it specify the itinerary change is for "today" though that is how I initially read it as well.

Edited by fishywood

Rereading the first post closely it may have been referring to the lost sea day at the end of the cruise in the first place--no where does it specify the itinerary change is for "today" though that is how I initially read it as well.

I think you are correct. However, the reference to a limited lunch menu made it sound like it was the first day.

Were sailing away as I type this. We are coming back a day early and staying in the LA Port that day.

Sorry to hear your cruise was disrupted. Isn't Ruby scheduled to call on Ensenada on Friday? Are you skipping that port? Hopefully, conditions will improve, as we are boarding Ruby on Saturday.

I know that's disappointing. We were just on the Caribbean Princess and missed Grand Turk due to weather. It happens! BUT, we sailed on the Ruby two years ago in 18-20 seas and that was NOT fun. You find out real fast what those handrails in the hall are for. I hope you can enjoy your cruise and make the best of it!

Sorry to hear your cruise was disrupted. Isn't Ruby scheduled to call on Ensenada on Friday? Are you skipping that port? Hopefully, conditions will improve, as we are boarding Ruby on Saturday.

We're here in Santa Barbara! Partly cloudy skies, but beautiful none the less!

We're losing the scheduled at sea day which would have been tomorrow, instead we'll be in Ensenada that day. Now we have a port day in LA...and they've given us a few excursion options for Friday in LA.

Yep, it happens!

We're here in Santa Barbara! Partly cloudy skies, but beautiful none the less!

We're losing the scheduled at sea day which would have been tomorrow, instead we'll be in Ensenada that day. Now we have a port day in LA...and they've given us a few excursion options for Friday in LA.

Yep, it happens!

Thanks for the update.

As others have stated, Southern California is in store for another round of storms. Itinerary changes are never fun, but it's better to be safe when it comes to the weather.

We did this itinerary on the Ruby in October and enjoyed it very much. Hope you enjoy your day in beautiful Santa Barbara.

In Ensenada, we had a really great lunch at a little seafood place right at the pier. It's called Muelle3. The offerings were so fresh and flavorful, and the staff very friendly and helpful.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150770-d2312323-Reviews-Muelle3-Ensenada_Ensenada_Municipality_Baja_California.html

That's true. As they called it on the news this morning, we're in for a "parade of storms" which makes it sound kind-of exciting and fun. :D

Now you'll be safe, not caught up in one of the "water spouts" they're predicting at sea and won't be in really rough conditions with heavy seas and high winds.

This is what cruising off the coast of California in January is like. It's seems it's either beautiful or ugly. We've had glassy-calm seas and 75-80 degrees and 18' seas with constant rain the whole time. It's a crap-shoot.

This is what cruising off the coast of California in January is like. It's seems it's either beautiful or ugly. We've had glassy-calm seas .......

We just disembarked the Ruby yesterday after ten days to the MR and Sea of Cortez, and we had exactly what you describe--glassy-calm seas all of the way down and only small "wavelets" on the way back! Sometimes we wondered if our "hotel" was really out to sea after all! :D

There is a film crew aboard to do a marketing video. My guess is Princess doesn't want to pay them for an extra day

It funny how every time a cruise ship makes an itinerary change, there are always some people fighting tooth and nails to be the victim. They will always say "the company is screwing me over to make more profits". Couple years ago, a ship had to turn back to Cabo for a medical emergency and was forced to skip Puerta Vallarta, someone posted here "my guess is that the company wanted to save fuel.. thus screwing me over since I booked the cruise for Puerta Vallarta". Can't it just be a medical emergency, as it was later confirmed that a life was save by returning to Cabo. Can't it just be bad weather, as every forecast has 5 inches of rain (which is armageddon in LA standards)? Such a sad reflection of the rampant victim-mentality in the world today.

We did a 4 day out of LA last year and we missed EVERY port due to weather. We stopped in San Diego (not on the original itinerary) because we couldn't tender in Catalina. Then in Ensenada, we never docked because the wind kept blowing the ship back. We got an extra sea day. Many people complained, but I had a great time. I was on a ship! (Crown.) Food! Entertainment! Cocktails! Working plumbing! They gave us a glass of bad wine at dinner as compensation.

I was on the same "cruise" to no where. I enjoyed it very much (love sea days). I felt sorry for the very large group that drove up from San Diego to catch the Crown back to San Diego. The most interesting event was trying to dock at Ensenada. Got a very good view of the island and harbor. Circle, circle, circle, stall, wait, leave. Any day on a cruise ship is terrific.