Re=Fare on Princess

Iceman721

Does anyone know if there is a limit to how many times you can re-fare? Is it true that Princess will match any TA offer but are not allowed to advertise it? We want to book an Alaska cruise in July of 2017. I notice that most of the deals for this August are marked "new bookings only" I wonder how far out from the sail date that starts to be implemented? Thanks to all replies!

Does anyone know if there is a limit to how many times you can re-fare? Is it true that Princess will match any TA offer but are not allowed to advertise it? We want to book an Alaska cruise in July of 2017. I notice that most of the deals for this August are marked "new bookings only" I wonder how far out from the sail date that starts to be implemented? Thanks to all replies!

That is usually once final payment has passed. A good TA can sometimes get your price lowered get you an upgrade or get OBC instead, but this is not guaranteed.

Princess will not match a TA offer unless the TA is offering the same price as Princess.

If you get a reduced price from a TA who discounts, Princess will not match it.

There is not a limit to how many re-fares before final payment though some promos require new bookings, non-refundable deposits or doesn't allow changes which makes re-faring difficult under those promos. If you book under a promo - understand that if you re-fare it, you may lose the promo.

And some TAs charge for changes including re-faring. So check closely the details.

Anything after final payment can be really limited, depending on how the new price is listed. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Edited by Coral

"Is it true that Princess will match any TA offer but are not allowed to advertise it?"

That is incorrect. TA's can offer discounts but may not advertise those discounts. Princess won't honor the TA discounts. If you want a cheaper fare than Princess offers, you will have to find a TA that does discount. Not all do. According to the rules of this forum, you cannot ask for the name of a TA nor can anyone here recommend a TA.

Another thing to take into consideration is that Alaska cruises sell out earlier than many othets. The one we re ently took in May was sold out last December. By refaring you may lose the cabin you wanted with few alternate selections. Be careful of your choices.

I thought I remember years ago, when "discounters" were selling cabins at rock bottom prices, way below cruise line prices...there was a big deal, so from then on NO agencies or individual TA's were allowed to sell cabins below the cruise line price, which is why some of them offer you minimal OBC or bottle of wine if you book through them. So nowadays if a minimal perk can sway you to book with an agency fine, some people forgo the perk and just book through the cruise line so there is no middle man.

Another thing to take into consideration is that Alaska cruises sell out earlier than many othets. The one we re ently took in May was sold out last December. By refaring you may lose the cabin you wanted with few alternate selections. Be careful of your choices.

I would use the term refaring to mean getting the fare adjusted to take advantage of any new terms being offered by Princess that are better than the terms you are booked under.

In that case, in the US, you are not canceling the original booking and not at risk of losing your original cabin choice. We do it all of the time. You are only changing the terms that you original booked under.

Edited by RDC1

I thought I remember years ago, when "discounters" were selling cabins at rock bottom prices, way below cruise line prices...there was a big deal, so from then on NO agencies or individual TA's were allowed to sell cabins below the cruise line price

Incorrect. Every TA I use offers a reduced price + OBC. If they don't offer that, I don't book through them.

I thought I remember years ago, when "discounters" were selling cabins at rock bottom prices, way below cruise line prices...there was a big deal, so from then on NO agencies or individual TA's were allowed to sell cabins below the cruise line price, which is why some of them offer you minimal OBC or bottle of wine if you book through them. So nowadays if a minimal perk can sway you to book with an agency fine, some people forgo the perk and just book through the cruise line so there is no middle man.

I know of many TA who sell at a 10-12% discount and also include any promotions or 'sales' offered by the cruise lines. I have booked the last three of my cruises at prices well below the price offered on the cruise line website. What TA cannot do, is advertise prices lower than those offered by the cruise line.

This prohibition of advertising lower prices has a couple of effects.

- Many passengers are convinced that discount prices do not exist because they cannot find these discounted prices by searching the web.

- Since the discounted prices are not advertised, the cruise lines are under no pressure to price match.

Our TA always discounts price lower than what cruiseline is offering plus gives an OBC:confused:

Book with a TA and the price will be better then on the Princess site.

Book with a TA and the price will be better then on the Princess site.

Book with some TAs and that is true.

Many will charge the same as Princess.*

Some will charge the same as Princess and also add a service fee for making the booking.

* I remember one conversation with a very large travel agency that advertises heavily. After hearing the price I said "That is the Princess price. What is your price?" Response was "That is our price."

So far I found that since Alaska cruises are so popular a major factor in booking is cabin type and location. We're looking at a cruise in July 2017. Some of the best cabins on the best decks are already sold! From my research, it appears that cruise lines limit deep discounts to many TA's to the less desirable cabins. The closer you get to the departure date the lower the prices and the less desirable the cabin and location. Makes sense.

It looks like the best thing to do if cabin selection is a priority, is to book early and watch for re-fare opportunities. It appears you must be careful when re-faring. For example, right now Princess is offering a beverage package for early booking. Research shows that the average daily per person savings amounts to $58 which on a 7 day cruise amounts to $406. If the reduction re-fare amounts to $400 and does NOT include the beverage package, your still better off with the booking you already have! Even more so if you can really "put them away"!

I'm going to check with a TA and see if he can give us the exact cabins we want at a better deal than Princess. I'll let you all know how I make out.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

So far I found that since Alaska cruises are so popular a major factor in booking is cabin type and location. We're looking at a cruise in July 2017. Some of the best cabins on the best decks are already sold! From my research, it appears that cruise lines limit deep discounts to many TA's to the less desirable cabins.

TAs get to pre-reserve a type of cabin, but not specific ones until a client books it.

Discount TAs are able to give the discounts from two sources:

o A lower price they are charged for group bookings (people in the TAs group do not even know they are in a group)

o Give up some of their commission for the client.

Of course there are TAs who also get a lower price for group bookings and charge their customers list price.