Secret On Board Credit

judge62

Just to add - Princess is unique(?) among the US lines for giving OBC to UK veterans (including reservists). Maybe this is why P&O also gives it, due to their historical connections?

Cunard also offer military benefit for UK residents only. Princess were the first to offer military benefit and then P&O/Cunard followed suit some time later nothing to do with P&O/Princess connection think it is a more Carnival plc benefit.

Just out of interest, and slightly pertinent to the topic; we went to Disneyland, Orlando ( a never to be repeated experience)! I got half price entry to all attractions as I served 22 years in the RAF and was at that time working for MOD. All veterans UK and US and for all I know other nations got this perk. I just flashed my MOD identity card, but I was told proof of service would have been equally acceptable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have had the military OBC on a few previous cruises with P & O and Cunard and always take my husband's discharge papers with us but never been asked to produce them. However for the first time on booking a cruise for next year we have been asked to send proof of service. So hopefully they are now checking up and making sure that everyone claiming is entitled to it, so be prepare to produce proof.

As someone said earlier the military OBC has been very widely publicised so hopefully everyone entitled are now claiming for it.

Princess only give it for the named person whereas P & O and Cunard give for the first two per cabin.

Shot2bits - there is a freephone number for P & O at the top of the forum.

Hmmm... my husband was in the British Army but left about 25 years ago. I suppose it might be worth asking, who do I get in touch with? Not sure how he'd prove it though!

Hi my husband is an ex Submariner, we have the Defence Discount Card, (you pay £4.99 for 5 years) just join online. We get OBC with P&O and $250 OBC with American cruise lines, you can also get money off loads of other things, high street stores, restaurants, holidays, garages its worth applying for the card, just download discharge papers. Then just book MOD obc when you book your cruise, then take card with you if they ask to see it a reception hope this helps,

Hmmm... my husband was in the British Army but left about 25 years ago. I suppose it might be worth asking, who do I get in touch with? Not sure how he'd prove it though!

Hi my husband is an ex Submariner, we have the Defence Discount Card, (you pay £4.99 for 5 years) just join online. We get OBC with P&O and $250 OBC with American cruise lines, you can also get money off loads of other things, high street stores, restaurants, holidays, garages its worth applying for the card, just download discharge papers. Then just book MOD obc when you book your cruise, then take card with you if they ask to see it a reception hope this helps,

they have tightened up a bit - you used to be able to combine blue light card - which ex military are eligible for 5% off with the OBC for the DDC but you cant now. So you have to work out if the £125 per eligible person ( you might be lucky they may apply to both...) is worth more or less than the 5% upfront discount

Hi, what American lines have you received it on as we have never been able to get any OBC with Royal Caribbean or Celebrity?

Hi, what American lines have you received it on as we have never been able to get any OBC with Royal Caribbean or Celebrity?

Hi sorry for the delay, Princess cruises offer

2-6 nights - $50pp

7-13 nights - $100pp

14+ nights - $250pp onboard spending

and Celebrity and Royal Caribbean give you 10% off the booking price if this helps

• 2 weeks later...
Do you happen to know if you can apply if you are an nhs pensioner? I was a nurse for 42 years and only just took my pension this year booked our first P and O cruise while I was still employed.

Have you managed to find out anything about this?

I had to take early retirement from the NHS (after 35 years) due to a back injury. I must admit that a bit of discount or extra OBC would not be turned down if available!

Just an update from someone who knew nothing about the 'ex forces' OBC: I rang my TA and she contacted P&O and we have been given £30 each. I was RAF for 22 years. I contacted the veterans agency and obtained a copy of my service record but P&O may not need proof of service. Suggested I take a copy in case it is requested. We are on Ventura for the Canary Islands cruise 23rd July.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have had the forces OBC since it started but upon booking for a cruise in April we were asked to send proof of service, which we did. As I understand it they are checking up more now to stop people claiming that aren't entitled.