Claustrophobia

rosiemontrose

And remember, we can be a mixture of personalities - good and bad - on these boards but you can be assured that everyone on this thread is crossing their fingers and toes in wishes for you to have a positive experience.

What a fab thing to say! Thank you.

Good luck, I too suffer from claustrophobia, not the worst type, I can go in a lift, but if it gets stuck, well...... not good.

Can't stand being in an inside cabin more more than a brief time, (like minutes not hours).

But never had aproblem on a ship (I do book balcony cabins).

Thank you for the encouragement. On the recommendation of someone who suffers with a different phobia I'm trying out some rescue remedy too. After all, any and every little thing could help, I reckon.

That's good to know. Thank you. I'm thinking maybe I could prime someone on-board beforehand, too. Just in case.

I think that's a good idea. I have a similar condition, but with me it's only slight. I don't like feeling trapped. I have had balcony cabins and indoor cabins. The last time I had an indoor cabin I said never again because I couldn't stand not being able to tell day from night and for some reason that really bothered me. Plus, the indoor rooms feel a bit confining. The doors have never been an issue because I never thought about them not working until I read this thread. After being on several cruises, I feel certain I will never have a problem with the doors. I like that there is a phone in case of emergencies. If I ever did have a problem, I could just pick up the phone and someone would be there within minutes.

As far as leaving the balcony door open, maybe you would be comfortable just opening it half an inch or so just so you know it will open.

With the muster drill, if you wait until you are one of the last ones to show up, you should be closer to the doors. You can even mention your condition when you show up. Some muster drills are in the theaters or dining areas, so you can google it before your cruise and can always choose a seat by the door.

You can sit near the doors for shows, so that you will feel more comfortable and have a quick way out in case you feel uncomfortable. Same for eating meals. Also, you can eat meals out of the dining areas if you do the buffet. They should have tables overlooking the pool or center area. With the buffet, you can take your food and eat it anywhere.

It might help to view some youtube videos of the ship so you will be a bit more familiar with it.

I think that's a good idea. I have a similar condition, but with me it's only slight. I don't like feeling trapped. I have had balcony cabins and indoor cabins. The last time I had an indoor cabin I said never again because I couldn't stand not being able to tell day from night and for some reason that really bothered me. ...........

It might help to view some youtube videos of the ship so you will be a bit more familiar with it.

Thank you for telling me about your own experiences. Ref the door-thing - since it was all very kindly explained to me I have realised that there are a few doors in my everyday life that open electronically from the outside but yet are opened mechanically from the inside. This has made me feel a lot better about that side of things.

You are right about the balcony doors - they don't need to be open enough to affect the aircon - only enough to show they're not shut/locked (and jammed locked).

Thank you for the other suggestions - they've all gone on my list!

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I'd update as I've now been on a ship visit on the Oriana in Southampton. I was surprised at how 'open' everywhere in the ship felt despite knowing that it isn't really open at all.

I couldn't handle the smallest cabin. Couldn't even walk in the door of it. However, the next one up with the big square window looked a lot better and I thought I might be able to handle that, but I know that I really do need two exits, so it does have to be a balcony cabin.

The tour guide was brilliant and allowed himself to be locked into a cabin with me... (cue lots of loud suggestions and nudge-nudges-say-no-more etc from the rest of the group...)...

And it was okay - although I'm not sure I could put the other lock on - if the door can't be opened from the outside just on the ordinary door mechanism, I'm wondering what the point of the secondary lock is. I can't see that it's needed, so I don't need to worry about it.

Anyway, even if the door to the corridor and the door to the balcony both jam there is the telephone to call someone to get me out.

I was talked out of booking a short cruise, which I'd thought might be the next step - apparently, too many of them are over-run with, uh, rowdiness...

So, now I just need to renew my passport and work out where and when. Yay!!!

So, there it is - my report. And thank you again for all your help!!!

Thank you, Jo! I just need to find a way of getting a reasonable price given that it's about twice the price for a balcony cabin than a non-balcony cabin - and then twice that again for solo... I just need to know more, but I will soon!!!

I imagine claustrophobia is different for different people. However, I have a good friend who is very claustrophobic, she cruises often, and has absolutely no problem with it. Like you, she won't go in elevators. But she doesn't even mind a cruise with an inside cabin. Good luck to you.

Thanks for reporting back. Please let us know once you take a cruise as well. Just so you know, the deadbolt CAN be opened from the hallway in case of an emergency but only certain crew members have that key/authorization.

Thank you - good to know!!!

I imagine claustrophobia is different for different people. However, I have a good friend who is very claustrophobic, she cruises often, and has absolutely no problem with it. Like you, she won't go in elevators. But she doesn't even mind a cruise with an inside cabin. Good luck to you.

I totally salute her for not minding an inside cabin!!! I did try to look at one of those but couldn't even make myself go in - it was like a little tunnel just to get in... I am open, though, to the possibility of becoming more used to it so that if I start with a balcony, then maybe I could try one with no balcony the time after that - um - actually - maybe not...

Sorry to hear about your claustrophobia. You can go on a smaller ship, some have less than 100. You can get a balcony room. You can always get fresh air alone sitting outside. You can sleep with the balcony door open some. Most have room service. You can visit the buffet at odd times and find less crowds and move around people. The back tends to be way less crowded. There are always a quiet corner on a ship. Backs of shows are less crowded. Not everyone shows up for muster drills. Join the spa, they tend to be more quiet. The Haven rooms on the Norwegian Escape can be completely private, butler service even. You board privately in a much smaller group, private dining rooms. And ultimately you can do it.. Research the Haven rooms online and in YouTube. Might be more ideal. Some meds help as well. And ultimately you can do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Who gave you that idea about muster drills. If you do not show up at muster, you will be on the dock waving at the ship as it leaves w/o you.

DON

Who gave you that idea about muster drills. If you do not show up at muster, you will be on the dock waving at the ship as it leaves w/o you.

DON

Exactly! And if Rosie decides to try Oriana, now that she's had a day visit, her cabin including the shower room will be checked by her room steward, and there will be nowhere to hide, for the staff will be standing in every possible area where cruisers might go...

• 2 weeks later...
Hi - it's great to have such a resource as these forums!

Unfortunately, I think I might have put myself off the whole idea of cruise ships before I've begun - I keep reading up about a ship and thinking - Fab! This is the one! - and then I'll read more about it and put myself off it. And so I'll start reading about another one and now I'm just going in circles.

So then I thought maybe I'd do a ship's visit in Southampton and see for myself before I booked anything but having read all about that in depth I don't think I'll get to see what I need to see... Apparently, you might not even get to see a cabin, let alone try locking yourself in it to see what happens... And to do that I'd need to take a couple of days off work so it's a bit daft to take the risk of not seeing what I need to see.

I am quite badly claustrophobic, but it's the fear of getting trapped above all else that produces the (irrational) panic, so it's the locks on the doors and windows that I need to know about, not so much the floor space etc.

I would have to have a balcony cabin and it would be a solo trip. (So I know I'm paying over the odds straight-off, but I'm prepared for that because I've wanted to go on a cruise for a long time.)

But I am worried that I won't be able to handle the claustrophobia if the locks are the wrong kind or the doors etc get jammed. I would never get in a lift anyway so they're not a problem. (I'm hoping I won't have to climb too many floors, though...) But I can't handle being stuck in great crowds of people, either. eg in the drill muster...

I keep reading and reading and then I think I'll just book a four-day trip to see how it works out - but it is possible that I'd get on the ship and then a door will jam and I'll get carried off the ship some time later a complete basket-case.

Any suggestions? I can't believe I'm the only claustrophobic person to want to go on a cruise...

The other major thing (uh, I have a list of little things, too) is that a friend who went on a solo trip last year found herself constantly plagued by people who seemed to think she shouldn't be on her own. For that reason - is there room service? Could I have all my meals in my cabin? I'm reading contradictory things about that.

Anyway - I've waffled enough. Thank you for reading.

You are not alone feeling this way. I went on my first cruise and loved it. I was fine in large windowless theatres and rooms. Ships are excellent at having atriums that appear sunny and well lit even though they are enclosed.

I admit that I awoke at 4 am during my second-to-last night and had a bit of a fright and cold sweat because I realized I couldn't get off the ship in the middle of the sea and was in effect trapped. It was a brief bit of malaise that was over in 10 minutes, and I went back to sleep. I enjoyed everything else about the cruise, and have my second one scheduled for this fall.

So, I say go for it.

1. Bring your cache of relaxation techniques (music, visualization, deep breathing, exercise etc) in case you get panicky.

2. You have the right idea to take a shorter cruise to see how it goes.

3. Cabin doors are made for easy egress. Try out all the locks when you get to your room to get the hang of it and build your confidence. When your room attendant comes to introduce themselves, go over the locks with them in the room if that's helpful.

4. Though very unlikely, think "What's the worst that can happen if I get locked in?" Take a deep breath, pick up the phone and call to get help. You are never alone!

You might find that this is the best vacation ever! You are adventuresome and willing to get out of your comfort zone. Enjoy!

Lisa:cool:

DON

DON, that's not true. They will require you to attend a make up muster drill the next morning. However, the easier way to do this is simply call the cruise line's special needs department and ask to go to a muster drill for those with disabilities (which are usually held in a lounge away from the crowds or they may come to your cabin to do it if you are so disabled that going to a lounge would be difficult - they do this for children with Autism, for example.)

Rosie,

I just wanted to mention that if you were to do a river cruise, there is little chance you will ever feel trapped - particularly the Rhine. If you want off the ship at any time, you can jump in the river and walk to shore (the Rhine is not deep) and knowing that and also that there will never be a time you can't see land, I believe that this sort of cruise might be your best option for your first cruise. Look at lines like Uniworld, Tauck, Avalon, Crystal River Cruises and Viking River Cruises. Many river cruise lines don't charge a single supplement either - check that out as it can save you a lot of money. Also, river ships only have 40 - 190 passengers - they are not huge ships, so no big crowds and any of the problems associated with big crowds don't exist on these ships - in fact the river cruises tend to be more patient and look out for each other. All cabins have windows, some have French balconies, some have true balconies, but no matter where you cabin is, you can walk to the open deck quickly.

Rosie,

I just wanted to mention that if you were to do a river cruise, there is little chance you will ever feel trapped - particularly the Rhine. If you want off the ship at any time, you can jump in the river and walk to shore (the Rhine is not deep) and knowing that and also that there will never be a time you can't see land, I believe that this sort of cruise might be your best option for your first cruise. Look at lines like Uniworld, Tauck, Avalon, Crystal River Cruises and Viking River Cruises. Many river cruise lines don't charge a single supplement either - check that out as it can save you a lot of money. Also, river ships only have 40 - 190 passengers - they are not huge ships, so no big crowds and any of the problems associated with big crowds don't exist on these ships - in fact the river cruises tend to be more patient and look out for each other. All cabins have windows, some have French balconies, some have true balconies, but no matter where you cabin is, you can walk to the open deck quickly.

LOL! Well you certainly came up with a good solution. Now that is thinking outside the box and I hope the OP does look into this suggestion.

DON, that's not true. They will require you to attend a make up muster drill the next morning. However, the easier way to do this is simply call the cruise line's special needs department and ask to go to a muster drill for those with disabilities (which are usually held in a lounge away from the crowds or they may come to your cabin to do it if you are so disabled that going to a lounge would be difficult - they do this for children with Autism, for example.)

This is good to know. Thanks for sharing this info. My DGD is autistic but no so much that she can't function. She would be terrified in an emergency but who wouldn't. Once we calmly explain to her what is happening she will be fine. BUT it is great to hear about for others.

You are not alone feeling this way. I went on my first cruise and loved it. I was fine in large windowless theatres and rooms. Ships are excellent at having atriums that appear sunny and well lit even though they are enclosed.

You might find that this is the best vacation ever! You are adventuresome and willing to get out of your comfort zone. Enjoy!

Lisa:cool:

Thank you for sharing your experiences, Lisa!

I was struck by how light and 'open' the public areas seemed throughout the ship - previously having had concerns about that, I now have none.

Anywhere that loads of people are likely to gather I will naturally gravitate to the edge so I'll be okay on that score, I reckon, too.

Yes - I have my strategy, and the more I read about cruises and ships the more I will add to it.

Wishing you a fab second cruise!!!

Rosie,

Thank you for the thought. Unfortunately, all the river cruises I fancy doing involve flying somewhere first in order to get to them. Flying is a whole other can of worms. And - if I'd thought I might make myself get on the plane in the first place, the BA debacle over this weekend has reminded me that it's simply not worth it. In a million years! (For me.) If not for that I would absolutely love to do some river cruises, especially in the US - especially the Mississippi - ooh, the thought of visiting Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans... No. I mustn't think of it. Not yet, anyway - maybe later when I've done a few other cruises....

Regarding the AC and balcony doors. The thermostat in your cabin only controls a small chiller unit that cools the recirculated air in your cabin. By design, 20% of the cabin's air volume is exhausted every hour (via the bathroom fan), and 20% of the cabin's air volume is made up of fresh outside air, to keep air quality up. This fresh air make-up is taken from the outside via a large fan and cooled and dehumidified in large chiller units located in fan rooms in those large "gray areas" down the middle of the deck plans. This fresh air supply is ducted to a group of cabins, typically 20-30, representing all the cabins on one side of the ship, on a given deck, in a given fire zone. The supply of this air is designed to slightly overpressure the cabins in relation to the passageways, so that in the event of a fire, smoke will not migrate from the passageways into a non-involved cabin. Now, when you leave your balcony door open, it does two things. On most ships it will turn off the chiller that cools the recirculated air in the cabin. The second thing it will do, is relieve the overpressure in the cabin, and a greater percentage of the fresh air supply will try to rebuild the pressure in your cabin (but will blow out through the open balcony door), so that the remaining 29 cabins in your block get less fresh air, and tend to get warmer. The "wind tunnel" effect you have experienced is the manifestation of how leaving the balcony door open unbalances the AC for the entire section of cabins.

Just a question , i know that at night yeah should not leave door open etc [people do but should not ] but if it was during the day would it matter as much as most would be probably not in their room anyway just a thought on if someone decided to be in their cabin and left the door open for an afternoon sooze with the sound of the sea ?? but at night yes shut it for the reasons they are meant to do so

Concerning the balcony door... it would be bad form to leave it open. As others have already explained about air conditioning and wind tunnels and such. And you don't want to be one of those people who act like they can do anything they want to just because it is their vacation and they paid for it. However, consider a couple of things. If your cruise is in an area where the weather is not that hot, then disruption of the air conditioning is not that big a deal. Do the Norwegian coast or Baltic Sea, not the Med. Also, note that the balcony door will open. Just like the door into the hallway, it will open. Even when its closed, it will open when you want it to open. Sleep with the drapes open. If you are feeling closed in, get up and open the door and go on the balcony and take some deep breaths. On your first meeting with the cabin steward, make sure they understand that you must have the drapes open all day and night. I have a mild form of what you experience, and I feel a bit confined by the closed drapes at night. On the other hand, even if we dock alongside another ship, I don't need to worry about passengers across the way checking out my choice of overnight wear...

One other thought. A few years ago we did an overnight ferry from Oslo to Copenhagen. In many ways like a cruise ship. Similar cabin, etc. There are several companies that ferry out of England to Ireland, France, Denmark etc. Book a return ticket on one including a stateroom and give it a try. Then move on to a proper cruise ship...

Best of luck!

Stan

while reading i thought that too about curtains open and just going out for fresh air etc hopefully thats will be the way to go i reckon if anything

• 1 month later...

I'm so glad to have come across this thread. I too am claustrophobic and am planning my first cruise with my husband and kids. After reading your thread I learned that I might also have the other phobia that involves feeling trapped. I can get into an elevator if it's one I'm familiar with (like the one at my job) but I avoid other elevators. Even if I have to get into an unfamiliar elevator I can do it but am stressed until it's over. If ever got stuck I would have a major panic attack. Driving through tunnels is another trigger for me. I avoid them, if I have to I can but I am stressed the entire time. If traffic gets backed up and I'm stuck I start having physical symptoms like feeling very hot, breathing heavy, heart beating fast, etc. Last year I needed to fly to attend a work conference but I got too scared and made up a lie to get out of going. Finally I asked my doctor for a Xanax prescription, because I need to be able to fly and sometimes drive through tunnels. I'm figuing out my dosage now - so far I have tried 1 and 2 pills (lowest dosage) and that did nothing for me. My doctor told me to try three.

Sorry for the long rant... back to crusing stuff.

So, I'm researching now for a cruise in June of next year. I'll have to fly to the port. I'm also very much worried about sleeping quarters on the boat. I have been looking into a balcony room, but I don't know if looking out into the open sea knowing I can't leave the ship will make me feel trapped?? Debating if a cheaper window room will do. I'm not sure. Next I plan to look at youtube vidoes to get a better sense of the rooms.

I'd love to hear if you've gotten any further in your planning. I'm just beginning my research and only discovered this site this week so I'm just dong a lot of reading right now. I have found a specific cruise I am interested in, now just need to figure out how all this booking/perks/picking room/excursions stuff works. I'm a complete newbie to all of this.

Hi - it's great to have such a resource as these forums!

Unfortunately, I think I might have put myself off the whole idea of cruise ships before I've begun - I keep reading up about a ship and thinking - Fab! This is the one! - and then I'll read more about it and put myself off it. And so I'll start reading about another one and now I'm just going in circles.

So then I thought maybe I'd do a ship's visit in Southampton and see for myself before I booked anything but having read all about that in depth I don't think I'll get to see what I need to see... Apparently, you might not even get to see a cabin, let alone try locking yourself in it to see what happens... And to do that I'd need to take a couple of days off work so it's a bit daft to take the risk of not seeing what I need to see.

I am quite badly claustrophobic, but it's the fear of getting trapped above all else that produces the (irrational) panic, so it's the locks on the doors and windows that I need to know about, not so much the floor space etc.

I would have to have a balcony cabin and it would be a solo trip. (So I know I'm paying over the odds straight-off, but I'm prepared for that because I've wanted to go on a cruise for a long time.)

But I am worried that I won't be able to handle the claustrophobia if the locks are the wrong kind or the doors etc get jammed. I would never get in a lift anyway so they're not a problem. (I'm hoping I won't have to climb too many floors, though...) But I can't handle being stuck in great crowds of people, either. eg in the drill muster...

I keep reading and reading and then I think I'll just book a four-day trip to see how it works out - but it is possible that I'd get on the ship and then a door will jam and I'll get carried off the ship some time later a complete basket-case.

Any suggestions? I can't believe I'm the only claustrophobic person to want to go on a cruise...

The other major thing (uh, I have a list of little things, too) is that a friend who went on a solo trip last year found herself constantly plagued by people who seemed to think she shouldn't be on her own. For that reason - is there room service? Could I have all my meals in my cabin? I'm reading contradictory things about that.

Anyway - I've waffled enough. Thank you for reading.

I believe that Muster drills should not be mandatory.