Celebrity Solstice - new to cruising and have questions

Muffinz

Hi All I'm new to this site and to cruising!

Wife & I are looking at doing a cruise on Celebrity Solstice in March next year

leaves Sydney 30 March for 12 days up to Cairns / Port Douglas...etc... and back to Sydney

we've got some brochures from travel agents and have some questions that the travel agents didn't have answers for.

I wondered if any seasoned cruisers could help answer them

How much do drinks cost on-board the boat? E.g. standard beer and wine…. So we know whatdrinks package to get (if any)

How much does the laundry cost – do you pay per item washed or do you just pay for1 laundry bag that you can fill with whatever?

Can you take alcohol on board? E.g. can we buy some beer or rum n coke bottles / cans andtake them on board for personal consumption? or are they very strict about not taking any alcohol on board?

The boat has an internet café by the looks – is this included in the fare or extra? (we are deciding if we need to take our own laptop or not)

we are also looking at a balcony / veranda room on deck 9 - does anyone have a preference for what deck or where on the deck the rooms are located - we don't want to be above or below a noisy bar / restaurant...etc..

any advice for 1st time cruisers would be much appreciated :)

thanks in advance

Hi muffinz.

I can answer some of your questions.

You are allowed 2 bottles of wine ( per double ) to be carried onboard.

What you should try and get when researching your cruise is a classic beverage package thrown in as a part of your booking, then it will cost nil.

Internet is extra cost on the ship.

In relation to your stateroom we always choose our by looking at the ships deck diagram and make sure cabins are below and above your deck you are selecting and not discos or lounges for eg. We always book a verandah mid ships for a smoother sailing.

Ps. Deck 9 looks fine.

We will also be cruising on the solstice in late January 2018. Sydney to nz and return.

Regards bob.

Ok, if you're going to talk the talk, they are cruise SHIPS not BOATS, Boats go on ships, ships do not go on boats. More credibility.

We have stayed on Deck 9. IMO there is less traffic on the higher decks, there are less cabins so less people. You have to want to go there. As was mentioned, you want a deck which has cabins above it and below it so there are no public spaces ( think noise). Deck 9 is nice because you are not far from the pool deck or the Oceanview Cafe as well as the Solarium and the spa. You can't go wrong there. The only thing to think about is the higher you go in the ship if you are prone to getting seasick if the ship rolls you will feel it more. The areas nearer to the elevator banks and the middle of the deck are a little more stable. DW walks thru the third deck where the oceanview cabins are and nearly gets sick. It is very dark and gloomy there and it has a bad aroma too, whether it's from ship smells or bad air circulation. So IMHO stay away from there if you can.

If you get on the ship and look for the negative you will find it. If you look to have a good time and focus on the positive you will do much better. DW and I are booked next year for a 14 day on the Eclipse which will be our 4th cruise with Celebrity. Somehow we always enjoy ourselves.

Happy cruising.

Edited by NordicPrince
typos

Wife & I are looking at doing a cruise on Celebrity Solstice in March next year

leaves Sydney 30 March for 12 days up to Cairns / Port Douglas...etc... and back to Sydney

we've got some brochures from travel agents and have some questions that the travel agents didn't have answers for.

How much do drinks cost on-board the boat? E.g. standard beer and wine…. So we know whatdrinks package to get (if any)

Basic beer is $5-6, wine ranges from $7-10- better wines are in the $13+ ranger per glass. Cocktails with good alcohol range from $7.50-9. Top shelf alcohol ups the price. If you have the option to choose the Classic beverage as a booking perk I would recommend that you take it. Covers bottled water, speciality coffees/teas, fresh squeezed juice, fountain soda, your "standard" beer, some wines and many cocktails.

How much does the laundry cost – do you pay per item washed or do you just pay for1 laundry bag that you can fill with whatever?

You can pay per item, occasionally they have a offer for a bag of wash & fold laundry ( not large) for $50. Good for DH's undies, jeans, workout clothes, socks. For 12 days you could probably get by without using the laundry.

Can you take alcohol on board? E.g. can we buy some beer or rum n coke bottles / cans andtake them on board for personal consumption? or are they very strict about not taking any alcohol on board?

The 2 bottles of wine are all the alcohol you can bring on the ship. You can bring on bottled water or soda.

The boat has an internet café by the looks – is this included in the fare or extra? (we are deciding if we need to take our own laptop or not)

Internet is not included in your cruise fare. You can purchase a unlimited internet package (only 1 device at a time can be on-line). I haven't priced a 12 night package but would guess it is the $199-249 range for 12 nights.

we are also looking at a balcony / veranda room on deck 9 - does anyone have a preference for what deck or where on the deck the rooms are located - we don't want to be above or below a noisy bar / restaurant...etc..

thanks in advance

My advice for first time cruisers-don't try and find out everything before hand. Don't worry about menu's, photos of every nook & cranny of the ship, daily activities and shows. Much of the fun, at least for us has been the excitement of discovery; exploring the ship, a different dinner menu every night, new shows, trying different bars, etc.

Also don't get sucked into speciality restaurants ( the MDR is great), photo packages or art auctions. If you book join your roll call- most roll calls have people organizing independent shore excursions. These tours are generally much less expensive than the cruise line excursions and at least as good and most of the time better.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise

thanks for the replies and advice

Our travel agent has managed to reserve us a balcony room on deck 9 with the classic drinks package

We are totally new to Cruising, so apologies for all the questions - I'm just getting excited about it!

I've seen a lot of youtube clips that people have done of the celebrity solstice and it does look very nice

reading a lot of reviews and some people said they washed out their bra / knickers in their bathroom and hung them in the shower to dry or in their wardrobe.

how early can you board the solstice? cruise departs Sydney 30 March at 1830 (6:30pm) - we will be staying in Sydney the night before.

thanks again :D

If you go to the pier around 10:30-11 you should be able to check in and be on the ship by 11-11-30. The cabins won't be available until about 1 so any carry-on luggage you will have to keep with you. You can get lunch at the Oceanview Cafe (buffet), the Mast Grill near the pool- great hamburgers, fries & hot dogs or at the Aqua Spa Cafe - by the Solarium.

Have a great time.

If you go to the pier around 10:30-11 you should be able to check in and be on the ship by 11-11-30. The cabins won't be available until about 1 so any carry-on luggage you will have to keep with you. You can get lunch at the Oceanview Cafe (buffet), the Mast Grill near the pool- great hamburgers, fries & hot dogs or at the Aqua Spa Cafe - by the Solarium.

Have a great time.

Thanks for the advice :-)

we are also looking at a balcony / veranda room on deck 9 -

thanks in advance

my Hubby and I are booked on this cruise and looking forward to it very much.

we cruised on Solstice to NZ last year and had such an amazing time....you certainly have a beautiful country there.

Solstice is a very beautiful ship and you are sure to have a wonderful time.

deck 9 should be great.....cabins above and below are a definite plus ..we were on deck 11 last time and have chosen deck 8 for this trip.

unless you are booking and inside cabin then you should get the classic drink package included with your fare.

from memory most beers are around 7-8 dollars spirits 9 or so wine 9 or so....cocktails from 11-15 remember these are US dollars. coffee in the café around 5. we had the drink package which we upgraded to the premium package so didn't take much notice sorry. the cost to upgrade from classic to premium was US$11.80 a day pp

they do have a laundry bag option....either 30 or 35 dollars they wash and dry and fold and deliver back to your room.

if you have a favourite wine then pick up a couple of bottles and take on board. Your room steward will gladly bring you an ice bucket and some wine glasses.

if you do decide to book, there is a roll call for this cruise on the boards here....and also register for the meet and greet. its quite fun to meet up with the others from the forum.

see you on board

cheers

Belinda

Solstice is a great ship to cruise on...we have cruised her twice....Whilst I agree the MDR food is fine it is nice to try at least one of the Specialities....

Tuscan Grill is at the rear of the ship and has great wake views, excellent to book a window table just after sail away! Murano's offers tableside preparation on some items which adds to the 'drama' of the meal whilst Silk Harvest offers a good mix of Asian food.

Have a great cruise.

We really enjoyed Solstice. I agree with what was said above. Discovering new things is always fun, especially on a cruise ship. Try the martini bar, which is always fun. I also agree with signing onto the roll call. You can meet some very nice people. We always got an internet package bec DH worked a bit every day, and I worked a bit from time to time.

Have a great cruise.

Ohiodoglover

Thanks for the advice :-)

If you have access to Smithsonian TV channel or can research it on the internet, they have an hour show on the Solstice doing one of its first Australia runs. Its under a series, not sure if its Mighty ships or Mighty cruise ships. We were on the Solstice only a few weeks before that show while it was in Alaska.

I agree with most of those posting here. I would take your time once you are on board. Explore the ship, have a drink in different bars, look at the menus in the main dining room (MDR) and get a feel for what you like. There is no need to eat in the speciality restaurants unless the menus appeal but if you fancy one, do ask for a discount. As you have a drinks package, there is little need to carry wine on board, or soft drinks unless you have something very specific that you must drink.

There are lots of places to relax, both inside and out. You will soon find a favourite and if you don't have a kindle there is a library aboard but the range of books is not exciting, however, it's surprising how much time can pass just watching the sea go by...

As for washing clothes - I have done undies but only on longer voyages. Prices are about the same as hotels, if you need to.

You may find yourselves hooked and once you have been, it's one of the best ways to see a large part of the world. You have been warned!

Wife & I are looking at doing a cruise on Celebrity Solstice in March next year. leaves Sydney 30 March for 12 days up to Cairns / Port Douglas...etc... and back to Sydney. any advice for 1st time cruisers would be much appreciated thanks in advance

Good luck with your upcoming cruise. You have received a number of good suggestions and ideas. Below are links to a couple of my fairly popular postings with lots of visuals. These might be of help in considering your options on the Solstice, plus in and around Sydney, the Great Barrier Reef, etc. Much to see and do around Cairns, Port Douglas, the Daintree Rainforest, etc. Do the pictures below help reflect some of the excellent potentials? Happy to answer any additional questions. Just post on my live/blog and I will be happy to respond there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 179,676 views for this posting.

Did a “Solstice: Visuals, Highlights Shared!” summary from two different adventures on this ship with many pictures and other details on its many options. This includes our recent Australia to New Zealand sailing. Check it out, including these early 2014 updates, at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Now at 44,433 views for this posting.

The Kuranda rail trip took us back a different routing, plus lots of interesting scenery, dramatic waterfalls, major engineering work, many train tunnels, big bridges, etc. The rail line dates back to 1891. For our group of six, we did the upgrade to the "gold" rail seating with plenty of wine, nice food/snacks, etc., in a wonderful, old-style rail car with great service and attention by the staff The great company and nice sights (plus the flowing wine), made it very much fun on a day with on and off patches of rain.:

RailRainforestTrip5_zpsb5f3a226.jpg

From the Daintree Rainforest and National Park near Cairns, Australia, here are two samples of our exploring there. We did a somewhat challenging 1.43 miles circular hike in the deep, deep of this dramatic rainforest. Lots of rocks, up and down paths, twists and turns, hard work, etc., as this picture illustrates. But we survived!! Even at our ages. Our group crossed the Mossman Gorge on a fairly long swinging bridge. Not Indiana Jones, but for us it was super spectacular. Here is one of my favorite pictures as it show John in our group looking at one of these huge trees in the middle of this rainforest and contemplating its majesty, size and history. And I told John, the picture shows his more photogenic side!:

PixRainFampPDouglas4_zpsc488581a.jpg

PixRainFampPDouglas5_zps27db0023.jpg

This picture gives a little sampling for Port Douglas. Here and in many of these towns that get lots of rain, they have covered walkways in the towns to protect people from the rain and/or sun. Got to shop?? Plenty of opportunities here!! Plus, good places to eat.:

PixRainFampPDouglas10_zps080f48b3.jpg

For the Great Barrier Reef, we chartered a plane and flew out from Cairns to Lizard Island, one of the most isolated locations in Australia. Chief Pilot Greg has done about 2200 trips to this location and really knows it well. Here we are on the beach getting his briefing for snorkeling in these reef areas right off of this location/beach. Yes, we saw real lizards here when we walked from the landing strip to our beach location. Captain Cook named this island because when he landed, he saw so many lizards!! Had a wonderful lunch on the beach. On the way to Lizard Island, we flew our over the edge of the reef to better understand this amazing 1500-mile long natural wonder, how it works, etc.:

GBRLizIsland23_zps64a7a569.jpg

For our snorkeling, I got to try out my new Nikon AW110 underwater camera. Shot about 260 underwater pictures. Here is one quick sample below. More visuals and details on the full live/blog.:

GBRLizIslanReef1_zpsd2288c6f.jpg

thank you for all the advice... this is all new to us and very exciting being our 1st cruise

I've seen plenty of clips on youtube about the solstice, some of the rooms, restaurants and other facilities on the ship and it's just making me more excited!

Wife is paying the deposit for the cruise tomorrow. :p

we are looking at taking a boat ride out to the Great Barrier reef - probably from Port Douglas? Wife seems to think there is a glass bottom boat there where you go out to the reef and see the sealife from the glass boat - I'll look into that.

Apart from that we like shopping, well mainly her, but hey someone has to carry the bags and general sightseeing... although that train ride through the daintree forrest looks good

I read somewhere that someone washed out their undies / bra and hung them over the shower to dry, so we may try that with our smalls

Edited by Muffinz

We were on the Solstice out of Sydney this past Feb. and boarded as others have said, around 11. If you're staying in the downtown area near the quay you can easily walk to the ship. Great cruise. Enjoy!

First cruise, eh? Welcome aboard. Here are a couple of things to be aware of:

1. Have fun!!!! Itzavacation!

2. Bring your patience. This is especially important on embarkation and disembarkation day.

3. DON'T FLY IN ON THE SAME DAY AS EMBARKATION DAY! You are better off flying in a day or two early and seeing the port city.

4. As for drinks, you are better off getting a drinks package rather than budgeting on a per-drink basis. (See Is a Cruise Drink Package Right for You?) Cruise lines do NOT appreciate "rum runners" who sneak their own alcohol on board. You can bring on two bottles of wine, but other alcohol is held until the end of the cruise.

5. Did you purchase travel insurance? (See Travel Insurance Primer for Cruise Travelers) I purchased mine for the medical evacuation and overseas medical treatment part. Just don't purchase the travel insurance through the cruise line. Also, the waiver for pre-existing conditions is around

6. Make sure your passports are up to date and ready.

7. Bring a highlighter pen to highlight items in the program.

8. Internet is a extra cost item.

9. Before thinking about the speciality restaurents, please give the Master Dining Room a try. You would be surprised at the variety of meals. Try some things you ordinarily would not have.

10. Check the articles on the Cruise Critic main page.

First cruise' date=' eh? Welcome aboard. Here are a couple of things to be aware of:

1. Have fun!!!! Itzavacation!

2. Bring your patience. This is especially important on embarkation and disembarkation day.

3. DON'T FLY IN ON THE SAME DAY AS EMBARKATION DAY! You are better off flying in a day or two early and seeing the port city.

4. As for drinks, you are better off getting a drinks package rather than budgeting on a per-drink basis. (See Is a Cruise Drink Package Right for You?) Cruise lines do NOT appreciate "rum runners" who sneak their own alcohol on board. You can bring on two bottles of wine, but other alcohol is held until the end of the cruise.

5. Did you purchase travel insurance? (See Travel Insurance Primer for Cruise Travelers) I purchased mine for the medical evacuation and overseas medical treatment part. Just don't purchase the travel insurance through the cruise line. Also, the waiver for pre-existing conditions is around

6. Make sure your passports are up to date and ready.

7. Bring a highlighter pen to highlight items in the program.

8. Internet is a extra cost item.

9. Before thinking about the speciality restaurents, please give the Master Dining Room a try. You would be surprised at the variety of meals. Try some things you ordinarily would not have.

10. Check the articles on the Cruise Critic main page.

thanks for that - we are getting our passports done in the next couple of weeks so they will be up to date

Our agent has got the classic drinks package for us to that's good

My wife works for a Travel insurance company so she will be able to get us a great rate through her work

also we will be flying in the day before the cruise and spending the night in Sydney before the cruise - just to be safe

To be taking your first cruise on celebrity is awesome! It is our favorite cruise line. Couple things that were not mentioned by other people are:

-this one isn't going to matter because you got a beverage package, but everybody mentioned bottles of wine and no one mentioned they have to be 750 mL – not 1.5! This is pretty much standard on all cruise lines except for the really expensive ones. Alcohol is included on them.

- food in the main dining room is superb. Just saying!

-as for your cabin location… If you put in a Google search: celebrity solstice aloha 8571 L ... something like that with your information in it, it'll pull up the pros and cons of the location of each cabin on a cruise ship

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello Muffinz

Being your first cruise on Celebrity, you have chosen wisely & have received very good information. Most first timers mistakes are as follows:

Over-packing for this trip

Not Reading your daily to plan accordingly for that day's events, they will be in your cabin

Join your roll call to receive additional information or to join a private excursion

Try not to be at every event, or discover everything on the ship, or spend all your time taking photos, & not enjoying some quiet time.

Meet some fellow passengers to expand your experience.

Be polite to your fellow passengers & kind to all the staff & crew members

Most important... Have fun & enjoy your time on your holiday We have always enjoyed all of cruises & the wonderful times & fellow cruisers we have met.

Happy Travels, John

Drinks - if you plan on having five or more drinks per day including specialty coffees, it probably pays to by the package. The drinks are priced like a fairly expensive club - $5-10 dollars depending what you order

Laundry is expensive on the ship. You pay per item. I believe Jeans are 7 and even socks and underwear are 3. There is no self-laundry on the ship. About halfway thru, they usually make an offer for a $20 bag as much as you can fit inside it without tearing. They use paper bags which tear easily so bringing some masking or packing tape to keep the bag from tearing is smart.

You can't bring alcohol and all bags are put through an x-ray machine like at an airport. You could try to stow a bottle or two in the middle of your luggage before you check it at the port and hope it gets thru. You can play dumb if it doesn't.

Wifi on board is pretty expensive especially at the beginning of the trip. They have deals as the journey moves on. There's usually free wifi at ports - just follow the ship employees.

Decks 8 or 9 are usually good. We usually shoot for the middle of the ship for a smooth ride. There are deck plans on the cruise line site so you can avoid being under the Oceanview Grill which would be loud. Also, watch your room placement in terms of elevators. This kind of traffic can be loud.

Wash your hands often. We bring Clorox wipes to clean the cabin. Have your steward empty out your fridge because the mini-bar stock is expensive. We often stop at supermarkets and buy soda or juice for our room. Bring zip lock baggies so you can grab snacks or fruit from the buffet for your excursions.

The ship's tours are very expensive but you get a guaranteed seat, guide and the ship will always wait if you return late. Doing it on your own is easy if you have time to plan and organized. You can also pair up with other travelers via the roll call and book less expensive and less crowded trips privately.

Have fun!

Edited by Jdudemill

thanks for all the replies - it is all good advice that I am putting into a word document so we can remember everones advice!

just 1 other question, does the cruise leave from Circular Quay in Sydney or from White Bay?

I asked on tripadvisor for advice on a good hotel close to the ferry terminal and someone asked if the cruise leaves from circular quay or white bay....

Can someone let me know so I know where to be looking for a hotel

Many thanks

Drinks - if you plan on having five or more drinks per day including specialty coffees, it probably pays to by the package. The drinks are priced like a fairly expensive club - $5-10 dollars depending what you order

Laundry is expensive on the ship. You pay per item. I believe Jeans are 7 and even socks and underwear are 3. There is no self-laundry on the ship. About halfway thru, they usually make an offer for a $20 bag as much as you can fit inside it without tearing. They use paper bags which tear easily so bringing some masking or packing tape to keep the bag from tearing is smart.

You can't bring alcohol and all bags are put through an x-ray machine like at an airport. You could try to stow a bottle or two in the middle of your luggage before you check it at the port and hope it gets thru. You can play dumb if it doesn't.

Wifi on board is pretty expensive especially at the beginning of the trip. They have deals as the journey moves on. There's usually free wifi at ports - just follow the ship employees.

Decks 8 or 9 are usually good. We usually shoot for the middle of the ship for a smooth ride. There are deck plans on the cruise line site so you can avoid being under the Oceanview Grill which would be loud. Also, watch your room placement in terms of elevators. This kind of traffic can be loud.

Wash your hands often. We bring Clorox wipes to clean the cabin. Have your steward empty out your fridge because the mini-bar stock is expensive. We often stop at supermarkets and buy soda or juice for our room. Bring zip lock baggies so you can grab snacks or fruit from the buffet for your excursions.

The ship's tours are very expensive but you get a guaranteed seat, guide and the ship will always wait if you return late. Doing it on your own is easy if you have time to plan and organized. You can also pair up with other travelers via the roll call and book less expensive and less crowded trips privately.

Have fun!

You cannot take food from the buffet on excursions.. especially fruit. There are laws which disallow this. A few ports even use dogs when you leave the ship. Follow the laws and respect the country you are visiting please!!! If you want a snack for a port bring sealed products from home

Also hiding a bottle in your luggage could very likely delay getting it . You will get called to the naughty room where they will open it in front of you. If it is anything other than your allowed bottle of wine they will take it and return it to you the last night. And of course you will be late getting your luggage and have to take the time to stand in line for the process

thanks for all the replies - it is all good advice that I am putting into a word document so we can remember everones advice!

just 1 other question, does the cruise leave from Circular Quay in Sydney or from White Bay?

I asked on tripadvisor for advice on a good hotel close to the ferry terminal and someone asked if the cruise leaves from circular quay or white bay....

Can someone let me know so I know where to be looking for a hotel

Many thanks

Cruise will most definitely leave from Circulat Quay.... Solstice way too large to go under the bridge to White Bay.

Cheers

Belinda