Coral Princess Aft.

Ms Ann

On the plans for the coral Princess, there are narrow open decks on the aft of the ship, with openings to the hallway by the cabins. Are these decks accessible to the passengers, or just crew?

They are viewing decks, open to all.

On the plans for the coral Princess, there are narrow open decks on the aft of the ship, with openings to the hallway by the cabins. Are these decks accessible to the passengers, or just crew?

The aft deck on Baja (11) and Caribe (10) are wonderful places to enjoy a little solitude. Both have deck chairs, and are never crowded. You're usually sheltered from the wind too.

Edited by Jasperdo

We recently enjoyed two weeks during a full transit of the Panama Canal on the Coral Princess in cabin E737 which is the last starboard balcony cabin that wraps around to Emerald aft deck. The door to this very secluded public aft deck was right outside our state room door. We spent most of the day transiting the Canal on this aft deck or our stateroom balcony. Awesome location for viewing canal, leaving port, sunrises, sunsets, and viewing glaciers (the ship usually rotates).

Unfortunately the aft cabins to the rear of the last elevators on the Coral experience severe vibrations when the Coral exceeds 13 to 15 knots, and when using the rear side thrusters during docking. During the first two days of our cruise when the ship was averaging close to 20 knots, the noise and shaking was very uncomfortable and felt like the ship was about to fall apart, and several requested to be moved, but the ship was full. Apparently the vibration is caused by the propeller back wash.

Attached are some photos of the rear of the Coral showing all of the aft decks, the Emerald aft deck, and the door leading to the aft deck.

P1100873.jpg.df9da3c601d86d547c3403e048fd2606.jpg

P1100748.jpg.1f133d85245411ce41925d8cfc6e8ce6.jpg

P1110808.jpg.660237c0df6f5efcf19ea7540dc34da4.jpg

We were on Caribe aft on the Coral and went back there a lot on our cruise! The aft balconies are bigger and are half covered and half open! Perfect for Alaska glacier viewing!

Were the naturalist's comments broadcast there when viewing the glaciers?

Yes they were on the TV station so you could listen if you stayed on your balcony. We also had Kathy Slamp on for the entire cruise and she was great! They also brought on the woman who ran the Iditarod In one of the ports! Great enrichment speakers on this cruise!

Were the naturalist's comments broadcast there when viewing the glaciers?
I don't know about the aft decks, but the Port Lecturer's commentary was definitely broadcast on the forward "secret door" viewing areas on Baja and Caribe deck forward. I spent a lot of time there going through the Panama Canal, and the commentary was loud and clear up there.

Unfortunately the aft cabins to the rear of the last elevators on the Coral experience severe vibrations when the Coral exceeds 13 to 15 knots, and when using the rear side thrusters during docking. During the first two days of our cruise when the ship was averaging close to 20 knots, the noise and shaking was very uncomfortable and felt like the ship was about to fall apart, and several requested to be moved, but the ship was full. Apparently the vibration is caused by the propeller back wash.

Can this vibration be felt on all decks aft? (Caribe in particular):eek:

It is a lovely area to view the northern lights at night.

Can this vibration be felt on all decks aft? (Caribe in particular):eek:

I would think so. It really shook the walls of our room (E737) and next door neighbors. It was really concerning during the first two evenings when ship was running at 20+ knots. Sound like something was ready to fall apart. We usually book full aft cabins on Princess ships and NEVER felt or heard noises like this on the Coral.

A search of the Princess board for CORAL AFT VIBRATION may help answer.

This thread Aft rooms on the Coral Princess has several post that mention the vibration. Very nice photo with view from shore of all aft viewing decks is in the message thread.

We did not notice excessive vibration when we had E736 for our Coral Panama Canal cruise.

It was a wonderful cabin. :):):) Would not hesitate to book E736 on the Coral again. The Coral Princess is our favorite ship.

Edited by JWJs

We felt the vibration in D709 on the Island Princess Alaska northbound --the Coral's sister ship. It was excessive on the first night when the ship was catching up on a 2 hr sail away delay but we still slept well.

We sailed in D707 on the Island and experienced no noticable vibration at all. We weren't trying to catch up on lost time though. It was smooth sailing from Vancouver to Whittier :D

The aft deck is the perfect place for viewing and when there was narration we could usually hear it from the end cabins - when those passengers were viewing from their balconies and had the speakers turned up :)

• 2 years later...

Just did a fort Lauderdale round trip to the panama canal. The aft zone (700) has severe vibrations at all times but especially bad when at sea. Spoke with the head customer service officer and they told me that this was not an issue for anyone else. Then spoke with the floor supervisor and he said that this has been a huge problem for some time. And they always have him come to the room to try and explain away the problem. I have been on over 10 cruises and have stayed in the aft part of the ship and never experienced anything like this before.

Just did a fort Lauderdale round trip to the panama canal. The aft zone (700) has severe vibrations at all times but especially bad when at sea. Spoke with the head customer service officer and they told me that this was not an issue for anyone else. Then spoke with the floor supervisor and he said that this has been a huge problem for some time. And they always have him come to the room to try and explain away the problem. I have been on over 10 cruises and have stayed in the aft part of the ship and never experienced anything like this before.

Welcome to CC.........

We have sailed aft many times and have sailed the Coral/Island more then 8 times each. There are vibrations during docking from thrusters but have never experienced severe vibrations in port or at sea. They are very smooth running ships. IMO.

This is more than distressing to read. We are booked in E736 and were really looking forward to the aft views for our Alaska voyage. We were expecting the vibrations when entering or exiting ports but not when at sea. Since, as you say, it is an ongoing "huge" issue, I wonder why more people haven't posted on here about it?

Welcome to CC.........

We have sailed aft many times and have sailed the Coral/Island more then 8 times each. There are vibrations during docking from thrusters but have never experienced severe vibrations in port or at sea. They are very smooth running ships. IMO.

I think I'd rather take your word on this - especially knowing how many cruises with Princess you have under your belt!

Welcome to CC.........

We only have 3 cruises on the Coral/Island (all in series 7XX mini-suites on Caribe and Dolphin) and absolutely agree.

The aft area is a public viewing area. Great fun and one of my favorite things about the Coral and Island.

Island is getting a major refit and the aft areas are all being converted to staterooms. The Promenade will no longer go all the way around, the Universe Lounge will be history, the aft pool will likewise disappear. All of those aft areas are being turned into staterooms.

• 2 years later...

We are booked into E737 on Coral in November. Thanks, everyone, for the vibration comments. If we experience this at least we'll know what it is:) Ray and Marcie - can you tell me if the stateroom balcony is at all open to the public aft area or is it private?

We are booked into E737 on Coral in November. Thanks, everyone, for the vibration comments. If we experience this at least we'll know what it is:) Ray and Marcie - can you tell me if the stateroom balcony is at all open to the public aft area or is it private?

We are booked in the same cabin in 2019 for a canal cruise. I would like to hear about your experience.

and another question regarding the balcony for E737, is it covered?

The last balcony cabins on Emerald deck 737/736 are exposed to the back aft public viewing area.

They are covered but because its open to the back of the ship there is not much protection.

In the photo E736 is the curved balcony cabin to the left of where the 2 people are standing on the lower aft viewing deck with the blue flooring.

It is a mirror image to E737 on the opposite side of the ship.

They are excellent cabins IMO.

photo-e.jpg