Where do you WANT each ship to be deployed in 2017?

I agree, South is better than north for starting a cruise. Charleston is best case. But Norfolk is still closer than FL for us. (not that I want to drive North if I don't' have to). Besides, I figure JAX is too close to PC for RCI to consider.

Erika

Jax to PC is about same distance as PC to FLL

Jax to PC is about same distance as PC to FLL

Didn't realize that. I was thinking FLL was about twice the distance than that. Still would LOVE a port somewhere between MD and FL. Charleston would be a best choice if for no other reason than they built (building?) a new cruise port.

Erika

Didn't realize that. I was thinking FLL was about twice the distance than that. Still would LOVE a port somewhere between MD and FL. Charleston would be a best choice if for no other reason than they built (building?) a new cruise port.

Erika

190 to FLL vs 160 to Jax I believe

I would love to see Royal Caribbean in Mobile AL and Jacksonville FL

That would be nice. They could certainly put some of their smaller ships in the Jacksonville port. Would be great to have an option other than Carnival.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Royal ship going out of Charleston, SC.

Would love to see any Royal ship home port in Charleston, SC.

The Carnival Junkheap :rolleyes: that currently sails out of Charleston is a no go.

I understand the locals do not favor additional cruise ships.

That is so crazy to me. For a city that thrives on tourism, and makes so much of their money from maritime activities, they just don't seem to care for cruise lines. I should know much more about Charleston as a port since I live relatively close, but I have not kept up on the politics.

I don't even know where the cruise port is now. I know it used to be right in downtown Charleston relatively close to the Waterfront Park with the big pineapple fountain. It would seem to me that moving the port toward the rest of the shipping port or old Naval Base area would be satisfactory to keep the "skyline" pristine. Not that seeing a ship by the water would be all THAT offensive.

I can see the benefits to keeping the ship downtown, as Charleston would be a great port stop and people could get off the ship and mill around downtown and pump LOADS of money into Charleston's economy.

However, it's not like Port Canaveral's port is right in the heart of the "shopping" and beach area- so the distance of having to shuttle into town should not be a huge problem.

Maybe it's Carnival that is the problem and not the fact of having just any cruise ship. I can't remember which Celebrity ship was there for a time- maybe Mercury. Whatever it was, they could not seem to rid that ship of Noro.

Anyhow, will keep wishing for a ship out of Charleston-whether it ports downtown or a little further out.

Northwest Pasage - Alaska to NY/NJ via the northern route. Crystal Serenity is making this run in 2016 and with a little more global warming Oasis should be able to follow in a couple of years.

I'd prefer an ice breaker for that route