Rude Passengers

sarasfw

A funny thing happpened to me in a mid deck elevator aboard the Regal Princess the other day (sounds like the start of a bad joke). For the most part of the cruise everyone was very nice and diplomatic, following general eticate one would follow in public elevators, wait for people to exit first, asking which floor, etc. Commonly the doors would open to find a heavilly crowded box. Everytime someone would say "come on in, we have room for one more" always with a smile. They themselves had been waiting a lifetime on another floor and figured what the heck a little chummier and this person doesn't have to wait anymore. I smile a little more when I see people give up a little comfort to help a stranger.

One day I was one of the "fun box" occupants in a fairly full elevator when the doors opened, a young couple waiting when one of my fellow joy riders said "plenty of room, come on in" as they did another couple in the elevator made a discusting sound and barged out almost knocking people down in the effort. "That is so rude to cram into a full elevator like that" the wife exclaimed as she was trudging away.

Made me stop and think...she had a point, or did she. I guess it is sort of rude, but at the same time I think its rude not to give up a little comfort to help a fellow passenger.

Edited by SlyOldLady

One of the things you need to do on board is to observe the notices displayed in elevators regarding the maximum number of people it is designed to safely hold. It is surprising that most people in a packed elevator think it's full. But if you read the safety notice and draw people's attention to it you can actually fit in an extra four not just the one.

Regards John

A funny thing happpened to me in a mid deck elevator aboard the Regal Princess the other day (sounds like the start of a bad joke). For the most part of the cruise everyone was very nice and diplomatic, following general eticate one would follow in public elevators, wait for people to exit first, asking which floor, etc. Commonly the doors would open to find a heavilly crowded box. Everytime someone would say "come on in, we have room for one more" always with a smile. They themselves had been waiting a lifetime on another floor and figured what the heck a little chummier and this person doesn't have to wait anymore. I smile a little more when I see people give up a little comfort to help a stranger.

One day I was one of the "fun box" occupants in a fairly full elevator when the doors opened, a young couple waiting when one of my fellow joy riders said "plenty of room, come on in" as they did another couple in the elevator made a discusting sound and barged out almost knocking people down in the effort. "That is so rude to cram into a full elevator like that" the wife exclaimed as she was trudging away.

Made me stop and think...she had a point, or did she. I guess it is sort of rude, but at the same time I think its rude not to give up a little comfort to help a fellow passenger.

You do have to be careful of filling an elevator too full. We have been in the back of elevators several times when people kept cramming in. We were litterly being crushed against the back of the elevator. Sometimes it's more than just giving up a little comfort. We never get into an elevator that is comfortably full. If it's a busy time we just get in an empty one going the wrong direction and come back.

Some of this discussion reminds me of an experience that actually happened to me at a local mall. As I was entering the mall I held open the door to let a lady (or so I thought) enter. She stopped dead in her tracks and yelled at me, "I can open my own doors."

Hank

Hank....you can open a door for me anytime. Maybe bag my groceries, save a lounger or a chair in the theater. But don't worry I will not ask to blow my nose on your sleeve at the dinner table.:D

Some of this discussion reminds me of an experience that actually happened to me at a local mall. As I was entering the mall I held open the door to let a lady (or so I thought) enter. She stopped dead in her tracks and yelled at me, "I can open my own doors."

Hank

Isn't it nice when they do that.

It's happened to me a few times.

One of the things you need to do on board is to observe the notices displayed in elevators regarding the maximum number of people it is designed to safely hold. It is surprising that most people in a packed elevator think it's full. But if you read the safety notice and draw people's attention to it you can actually fit in an extra four not just the one.

Regards John

But as a generalization if you divide the number of passengers it carries into the weight limit they need to weight about 67 kg or 150 lbs each.

Well ... maybe at the beginning of the cruise ... but few come in under that at the end of the cruise. 😂😁😂

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

What I mean is that an kevator designated to carry 10 will have a weight limit of around 670 kg

Now after a nice long cruise I can get upto about half that by myself surely.

Umm....it doesn't. As the parent of an adult daughter with a disability issue' date=' I can tell you that there are many wonderful people who will wave her in if an elevator comes which is lovely, but she is able to wait her turn like anyone else. I think people offer because whether in a wheelchair, scooter, or using a walker, she has no choice--the elevator is essential for her. She doesn't like electric scooters because she is concerned that she'll hit someone. People walk in front of her and don't look. This is a particular problem at theme parks, which is the one place she absolutely needs the scooter.

Let me assure you that if I ever caught her cutting a line using mobility assist equipment as an excuse it would be the last time it happened.

Part of the problem on the ship is that there are people using scooters who don't use them in everyday life and have very poor control of their equipment. That may be part of the traffic flow issue. But no, a scooter shouldn't buy you the right to be rude or an expectation that cutting the line is OK.

That said, unless you've needed it or lived with someone who has, I don't think you can appreciate what a limitation a mobility or balance problem can be.[/quote']

Agree

Hi,

On a recent cruise I was going to sit near a lady who had two empty

seats (on either side of her) on a tender. She told me that both of

them were reserved. She then told me that she didn't want anyone sitting

next to her. I said "really?".

Yeah, I would have said "that's nice" & sat down.

Hank

I would have been most glad to have just let them shut in her face. I guess I'm just an old softy!

Rudeness I saw on the Regal last December: People paying good money to rent cabanas at the Retreat pool. Other strangers deciding to park their asses on the end of the cabana area to hang out by the pool. I mean, hey, why not just crawl in the bed with the paying guests? If I were in that cabana I would have shoved them off with my foot!

Also on the same sailing, we were at the Seawalk bar, all ready for the bartender flair show which is VERY popular. Managed to squeak in at the end of the bar, standing. There is a man next to us sitting on a stool, he has a cane with him and is wearing a hat that indicates he is a US Veteran, and is beyond retirement age. A lady comes up to the bar after the show has started with a 2 or 3 year old, she is trying to show this child the flair show (why are you trying to entertain your baby with bartenders throwing liquor around at a bar which is intended for adults to enjoy?) She manages to finagle her way in near the bar and eventually, through sheer brute force and determination, wrangles the Vet off his stool so she can bounce her baby on it throughout the show. So he had to stand the whole time. The man she displaced was a perfect gentleman about it. I, however, wanted to throw her overboard!

I would certainly have called her out for it & most publically shamed her in front of everyone!

As the old saying goes.. "All it takes for evil(or boorish behavior in this case)to triumph is for the good to do nothing"! Next time, please stand up for a vet! They deserve It!!

Some interesting stories here in this thread...I guess I will share one here. I won't name the cruise line since the incident is under NDA.

The story starts in the dining room when a passenger sees something that another passenger was wearing something that was considered rude or inappropriate. The article in question wasn't anything offensive in and of itself and is something that is worn by many people everyday. So the passenger flags a waiter down and requests that the waiter remedy the situation by having the offending passenger remove the article. So the waiter walks over to the other passenger and politely asks the passenger to remove the article. I'm not sure what was said, but the passenger did not remove the article. Once again the initiating passenger flags the waiter down and makes the request again. This time, the waiter went over and forcibly removed the article off the passenger.

When it was all said and done, the cruise line fully compensated the 'rude' passenger and more.

The Maître D should have been the one notified to resolve the issue. I hope this wasn't about a hat.

I went into the theatre once on another line where a kid (maybe 10 years old) was "saving" 14 seats for his family. I calmly showed him where it says in the Navigator (equivalent to the Patter) that there is no saving of seats in the theatre.

I've done it other times too, with "not so blatant" saving. Sorry, but if the seat is empty, it's for someone who is there not a phantom who never comes.

When there is a empty seat next to me and someone asks if it is saved, I also quote that policy that "there is no saving of seats in the theatre" and that if they want the seat, it is theirs.

We had someone chat DW because she had a free seat beside her, yep I'd gone to the toilet.

He was lucky it was her he chatted not me.

What you go to relieve yourself and your spouse can't remain in their seat?

This whole seat issue is getting way out of hand.

We had someone chat DW because she had a free seat beside her, yep I'd gone to the toilet.

He was lucky it was her he chatted not me.

What you go to relieve yourself and your spouse can't remain in their seat?

This whole seat issue is getting way out of hand.

I had the same thing happen to me . My DH went to the men's room, he left his tux jacket on the chair he was seating on next to me. I had a lady get nasty with me over the seat, until I said to her "do you think his tux jacket is what I wear over my formal outfit"? Just then my DH came back and she left in a flash.

Hank

Had that happen to me once. I responded (maybe a bit more loudly than necessary...) "Nobody said you couldn't!"

I had the same thing happen to me . My DH went to the men's room, he left his tux jacket on the chair he was seating on next to me. I had a lady get nasty with me over the seat, until I said to her "do you think his tux jacket is what I wear over my formal outfit"? Just then my DH came back and she left in a flash.

Have to admit there was nothing on the chair except the imprint of my big fat .....

I am a patient person but on a recent cruise I lost my patience. On line in the Horizon Court I was moving along the line when a man put his hand on my shoulder and shoved me. I was stunned and said you just pushed me when he leaned over and an inch from my ear and screamed "move it" at the top of his lungs. I lost it and loudly said you just accosted me and the bully that he was ran off. After 28 days on a ship the crowds, the pushing to get on the elevators and tenders was unnerving. None the less we loved Princess and her crew, it was some of the passengers that gave us pause. :eek:

Edited by DUFFYSMOM