Rude Passengers

sarasfw

I am a patient person but on a recent cruise I lost my patience. On line in the Horizon Court I was moving along the line when a man put his hand on my shoulder and shoved me. I was stunned and said you just pushed me when he leaned over and an inch from my ear and screamed "move it" at the top of his lungs. I lost it and loudly said you just accosted me and the bully that he was ran off. After 28 days on a ship the crowds, the pushing to get on the elevators and tenders was unnerving. None the less we loved Princess and her crew, it was some of the passengers that gave us pause. :eek:

Which ship.

Unfortunately, cruising is one of the very few vacationing venue's that lends to a show of rudeness on some people's part, and that is because.....everyone is in one place and usually at the same time. Everything that you do onboard a cruise has a "time factor".....if you're getting on the ship, off the ship, eating or being entertained. Unless you truly follow your own plan by eating in the buffet or specialty dining rooms [paid] or "anytime" dining and go to the various lounges or bars while everyone else is eating or watching a show, you will get caught-up in the lines, waiting and either showing your worst side or acting with kindness and respect for others around you.

The time constraints affect the elevators and stairwells, they affect the show rooms and lounges. And, the hallways and various shops can be filled with people coming and going and some who are lost [they don't know if they're coming, going or forward or aft!]

You have to be a good planner when you cruise. Because if you want to go to a show, you MUST arrive early [or you won't get a seat], the same goes for playing bingo or attending an art auction or lecture. Even playing trivia, if you don't arrive early or on time you will be relegated to the rear of the room or worse - NOT AT ALL!

If you want to sit in a bar area, you have to map-out a plan, pick a good seat and plan on being there for a while, because you'll want to have a "relaxing" drink or two while you watch other's rushing and bumping into each other!

If you like to sit by the pool......You really have to be a good planner for this or have a few people in your party who can relay the seating arrangements.

It's not easy to have fun and relaxation on a cruise......It takes a lot of skill and workmanship. Some folks stay in their cabins, have lunch, dinner, take naps, sit on their balcony and are only reminded to leave when their Steward can refresh their towels and sheets. They like getting from one city or country to another via the ocean!

Then the ship stops and you can go off to visit various foreign ports and spend all your hard earned money but not before you wait in line to get off, have a picture taken of the shocked look on your face that you actually made it off in one piece and then how you made it back on the ship before it sailed off without you!

If you're new at cruising you get caught-up in trying to do EVERYTHING in the Patter's which is supposed to be helpful in planning your day ahead. Some folks bring a highlighter so they can mark that which they really don't want to miss, then they try to do it all! BIG MISTAKE!

It's your cruise......Do as much or as little as you like and don't let anyone try and bully you into leaving your cabin with the words: "Go, go see the world!" Yeh! Right! I think I'll go find where they're serving the ice cream cones, find a seat and wait till lunch time, whilest I observe everyone else rushing around like it was Times Square!

All that rushing tends to make people more rude, don't you think?

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Rude is rude...no matter what. Yes, the people who are trying to do it all on a single cruise may feel stressed, but it doesn't take much to realize that you can't possibly "do it all." OK, MAYBE on a 24 night or longer, but not in a single week. And we all have a "rough day" sometime. Taking it out on staff or fellow guests is just not acceptable.

Rude is rude...no matter what. Yes' date=' the people who are trying to do it all on a single cruise may feel stressed, but it doesn't take much to realize that you can't possibly "do it all." OK, MAYBE on a 24 night or longer, but not in a single week. And we all have a "rough day" sometime. Taking it out on staff or fellow guests is just not acceptable.[/quote']

While I agree in general rude is rude, there are also cultural differences that can make SOME things that are rude in one culture acceptable to another.

But most things rude is rude.

No. Some people are just plain rude...no matter at what speed they're moving. And it' not limited to just new cruisers.

So, lets move this thread in a slightly different direction. Over a lifetime we have learned that most folks will ignore rude folks and just move on with whatever they were doing. We have long thought that many folks who are constantly rude...act that way because nobody has ever told them they are rude :). But sometimes it can be fun to be a little assertive with these nasty folks. A few cruises ago we were waiting at the breakfast Eggs Benedict station (on HAL) and witnessed an elderly lady (probably mid 80s) being very rude and nasty to the cook who was trying to do everything to her very exacting specifications. After making the poor cook toss away 2 plates of eggs (not exact to her specifications) she finally accepted the plate and turned to walk away. I quickly said (loud enough so the lady heard) "she meant to say thank you!" The cook broke into a big smile (with a nod and wink), the lady gave me a dirty look, and she stomped off (yes, even some folks at that age can stomp). I know the cook felt better...and I was laughing to myself for hours.

Hank

So, lets move this thread in a slightly different direction. Over a lifetime we have learned that most folks will ignore rude folks and just move on with whatever they were doing. We have long thought that many folks who are constantly rude...act that way because nobody has ever told them they are rude :). But sometimes it can be fun to be a little assertive with these nasty folks. A few cruises ago we were waiting at the breakfast Eggs Benedict station (on HAL) and witnessed an elderly lady (probably mid 80s) being very rude and nasty to the cook who was trying to do everything to her very exacting specifications. After making the poor cook toss away 2 plates of eggs (not exact to her specifications) she finally accepted the plate and turned to walk away. I quickly said (loud enough so the lady heard) "she meant to say thank you!" The cook broke into a big smile (with a nod and wink), the lady gave me a dirty look, and she stomped off (yes, even some folks at that age can stomp). I know the cook felt better...and I was laughing to myself for hours.

Hank

On our recent cruise we had a poor bloke getting abused up hill and down dale over the tendering process, yes there was a long line but hey, and I sad to him "don't worry some of them would complain if they won lotto" it made his day, later he came back nd wanted to take us to the head of the line for being nice amongst all the rudeness, no way.

We were waiting in line to board the Celebrity Reflection in Miami. It was a prolonged experience since the ship was just entering US ports from Europe. One young couple arrived in a taxi. They completely ignored the LONG line, and nudged in at the head of the line. A couple of passengers called them out; they acted like they were deaf and dumb. One gentleman was in danger of having a heart attack, he was so angry. Let it go; Karma happens.

Still, it was more than annoying.

Unfortunately, cruising is one of the very few vacationing venue's that lends to a show of rudeness on some people's part, and that is because.....everyone is in one place and usually at the same time. Everything that you do onboard a cruise has a "time factor".....if you're getting on the ship, off the ship, eating or being entertained. Unless you truly follow your own plan by eating in the buffet or specialty dining rooms [paid] or "anytime" dining and go to the various lounges or bars while everyone else is eating or watching a show, you will get caught-up in the lines, waiting and either showing your worst side or acting with kindness and respect for others around you.

The time constraints affect the elevators and stairwells, they affect the show rooms and lounges. And, the hallways and various shops can be filled with people coming and going and some who are lost [they don't know if they're coming, going or forward or aft!]

You have to be a good planner when you cruise. Because if you want to go to a show, you MUST arrive early [or you won't get a seat], the same goes for playing bingo or attending an art auction or lecture. Even playing trivia, if you don't arrive early or on time you will be relegated to the rear of the room or worse - NOT AT ALL!

If you want to sit in a bar area, you have to map-out a plan, pick a good seat and plan on being there for a while, because you'll want to have a "relaxing" drink or two while you watch other's rushing and bumping into each other!

If you like to sit by the pool......You really have to be a good planner for this or have a few people in your party who can relay the seating arrangements.

It's not easy to have fun and relaxation on a cruise......It takes a lot of skill and workmanship. Some folks stay in their cabins, have lunch, dinner, take naps, sit on their balcony and are only reminded to leave when their Steward can refresh their towels and sheets. They like getting from one city or country to another via the ocean!

Then the ship stops and you can go off to visit various foreign ports and spend all your hard earned money but not before you wait in line to get off, have a picture taken of the shocked look on your face that you actually made it off in one piece and then how you made it back on the ship before it sailed off without you!

If you're new at cruising you get caught-up in trying to do EVERYTHING in the Patter's which is supposed to be helpful in planning your day ahead. Some folks bring a highlighter so they can mark that which they really don't want to miss, then they try to do it all! BIG MISTAKE!

It's your cruise......Do as much or as little as you like and don't let anyone try and bully you into leaving your cabin with the words: "Go, go see the world!" Yeh! Right! I think I'll go find where they're serving the ice cream cones, find a seat and wait till lunch time, whilest I observe everyone else rushing around like it was Times Square!

All that rushing tends to make people more rude, don't you think?

"If you like to sit by the pool......You really have to be a good planner for this or have a few people in your party who can relay the seating arrangements"

I assume you mean to send someone out at 6am to mark out enough lounge chairs for your entire group. There is a name for people who do this.

Edited by PoppyandNana

"If you like to sit by the pool......You really have to be a good planner for this or have a few people in your party who can relay the seating arrangements"

I assume you mean to send someone out at 6am to mark out enough lounge chairs for your entire group. There is a name for people who do this.

I don't think that's what Roz meant.

After making the poor cook toss away 2 plates of eggs (not exact to her specifications) she finally accepted the plate and turned to walk away. I quickly said (loud enough so the lady heard) "she meant to say thank you!" The cook broke into a big smile (with a nod and wink), the lady gave me a dirty look, and she stomped off (yes, even some folks at that age can stomp). I know the cook felt better...and I was laughing to myself for hours. Hank

I love it when the crew realize that most passengers have their back.....we can say something to these rude people, they can't (but oh, how they wish they could).

While we were on the REGAL last month, at breakfast in the Concerto Dining Room, right before we left the ship, there was a lady who told the waiter that she would like him to bring her coffee from the International Cafe. The waiter told her they only had the normal coffee they serve in the dining room...she went off. She said something like, "So, the cruise is over and so is the service? They did it for me the entire cruise, and now you can't?" The head waiter came over and tried to calm her down, to which she said, "Never mind, that's ok, I'll just drink this slop."

A few minutes later, the head waiter came over to us and, while he was refilling my coffee cup, I said, pointing to my cup, "This is the BEST coffee I've ever had!" At first he just smiled, and then he got it...and then he smiled a big grin and said, "Thank you, sir."

Well said the staff and crew are human beings with jobs like all the paying passengers. While they are being paid to do their jobs they are they deserve and are entitled to repects as well.

Very true, but how sad that anyone would have to be reminded of this.

On our last few cruises we've also had the occasion to talk to a headwaiter or supervisor to assure them that a crew member who is being treated rudely has done nothing wrong.

Sometimes rudeness is in the eye of the beholder.

On a recent cruise, my wife and I were wandering the buffet in search of a table. I spotted one nearby, and as you do when seating is in short supply, made a beeline for it. I did not sprint, bowling people over in the process, but I did speed up. As I sat down, I heard, in a very load voice, "That terrible man just rushed in and took our table!"

I looked up to see three elderly women, at least TWENTY feet away. The speaker, while ostensibly talking to her companions, was quite obviously (from the volume) directing her words to the room at large in an attempt to embarrass me.

I had not seen them approaching the table. They were, in fact, at that moment, further from it than I was when I first spied it. And it was not a case of them returning to a "saved" table.

I'm sure that many people who looked up at the sound of her voice jumped to the conclusion that I was indeed a "terrible man" acting rudely to three seniors.

Just seeing a table doesn't make it yours. And someone beating you to a table doesn't mean they intentionally scooped it. Had I known they were headed to the table, I would have differed. But they were not in my field of vision and I don't read minds. Had she spoken to me in a civil manner, I would have surrendered the table. But she didn't.

I did not engage with this woman (You never win in these situations), but, ironically, I did encountered her and her posse again on multiple occasions during the 18 day cruise. Each time I found an opportunity to go out of my way and be polite. Holding an elevator door, stepping aside at a narrow pass way... Not only did she not recognize me as the "terrible" man, she never once acknowledged the small courtesies, let alone voice thanks.

Sometimes those quickest to accuse are the worst offenders.

Sometimes rudeness is in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes those quickest to accuse are the worst offenders.

Very true. One time, during the captain's cocktail party in QM2's Royal Theater, I was standing next to this guy, and we were both just watching what was going on. Next thing we heard was this lady in a wheelchair, coming up from behind us..."EXCUSE ME! I'M DISABLED, MOVE!" She was right behind the guy next to me. He turned, looked at her, and then turned back around again. There was simply nowhere for the guy to go...the place was packed, but she expected him to move out of her way, but there would have been nowhere for her to go. So, over and over again, during the rest of the party, all we heard was, "MOVE! I"M DISABLED, MOVE!" Then, when the lights came on, she said to the guy, "I hope when you get old you're disabled and people won't move out of your way!" And with the, SHE GOT UP AND WALKED OUT OF THE THEATER!

I swear.

Very true. One time, during the captain's cocktail party in QM2's Royal Theater, I was standing next to this guy, and we were both just watching what was going on. Next thing we heard was this lady in a wheelchair, coming up from behind us..."EXCUSE ME! I'M DISABLED, MOVE!" She was right behind the guy next to me. He turned, looked at her, and then turned back around again. There was simply nowhere for the guy to go...the place was packed, but she expected him to move out of her way, but there would have been nowhere for her to go. So, over and over again, during the rest of the party, all we heard was, "MOVE! I"M DISABLED, MOVE!" Then, when the lights came on, she said to the guy, "I hope when you get old you're disabled and people won't move out of your way!" And with the, SHE GOT UP AND WALKED OUT OF THE THEATER!

I swear.

Ah, another miracle cure. It's amazing how many of these you see at a pier. A person asks for a wheelchair and when they're told that all of the chairs are presently in use and they'll need to have a seat and wait until one becomes available, they march off under their own power (and quite often at a goodly pace.) It doesn't always happen, but it does happen more often than you would think.

Tom

I swear.

She would have gotten the "f" bomb from me! I've spotted enough of these fakers.

Ah, another miracle cure. It's amazing how many of these you see at a pier. A person asks for a wheelchair and when they're told that all of the chairs are presently in use and they'll need to have a seat and wait until one becomes available, they march off under their own power (and quite often at a goodly pace.) It doesn't always happen, but it does happen more often than you would think.

Please don't paint everyone with the same brush. There are people who do need wheelchairs for medical reason even though they are capable of walking a few steps. You seem to imply that unless someone is a quadriplegic, they have no right to use a wheelchair. I worry when people begin to think using a wheelchair is rude behavior. Possibly everyone with a medical condition should carry a note from the doctor to show the judgmental that not every physical limitation is visible.