Pricing Question

irishayes

We are looking at a Seven Seas cruise in early 2018, but I'm a bit confused with their pricing.

Just looking at the lowest category veranda cabin, it lists the brochure price at $10,998 per person, then next to it shows a "2-for-1 fare" of $3999. Is that the entire fare? Why the vast difference between the brochure pricing (which is per person) and the 2-for-1 fare which I'm assuming is the total fare?

Is the "2-for-1 fare" pricing a special rate they have going on for a short time, or is this always how they price their cruises?

This is how Regent always prices their cruises. The 2 for 1 price is approximately 50% of the brochure fare (give or take a few percentage points). The fares stay fairly constant but Regent looks at cruise fares quarterly and those itineraries that are selling well may go up in price. If a cruise is not selling well, incentives may be offered to fill the ship and occasionally the price will be reduced. The areas of the world that we've seen the most incentives and/or price reductions is in the Mediterranean and South America.

If you are thinking about booking a Regent cruise, I highly suggest finding a TA that regularly books Regent. In addition to assisting you in many ways, many give a percentage of the cruise fare back to you right before the cruise. Additionally, OBC's may be available.

Hope this helps:-)

Irishayes - Disregard and ignore the column that says, "brochure fare per person". All prices in that column are meaningless and no one actually pays that price. It's there only for marketing purposes and to make you feel like you're getting a "great deal".

The next column over marked, "2-for-1 All Inclusive price" is the "real price" (sort of) and is the actual PER PERSON fare that you should use as a starting reference point when trying to figure out what (approximately) you'll be charged, per person, for that cruise, in each respective stateroom/suite.

Others can explain why I said, "sort of". I.e., If you choose to, you can deduct out the built-in price for "free" airfare and "free" pre-cruise luxury hotel and "free" ground transfers from airport to hotel to ship that Regent has "hidden" in the "2-for-1 price". They're not actually "free", at all. They're just included in the per person price. Regent allow you to deduct out those 3 included services and it will lower the "All Inclusive Price" that you'll have to actuallypay Regent and you can/will have to arrange and purchase those 3 items (air/hotel/ground transport) on your own seperately, if you choose to.

Regards.

So then the pricing is $3999 per person? NOT 2-for-1?

Yup. BUT...keep in mind that that $3999 per person includes EVERYTHING. Air, transfers, drinks, specialty restaurants, tips, etc.

The first time my wife and I priced cruises, we were like :eek:

Once we sailed with Regent the first time, we were like :D

That "2 for 1" gig is kinda getting old. But you get used to it.

Irishayes - Disregard and ignore the column that says, "brochure fare per person". All prices in that column are meaningless and no one actually pays that price. It's there only for marketing purposes and to make you feel like you're getting a "great deal".

The next column over marked, "2-for-1 All Inclusive price" is the "real price" (sort of) and is the actual PER PERSON fare that you should use as a starting reference point when trying to figure out what (approximately) you'll be charged, per person, for that cruise, in each respective stateroom/suite.

Others can explain why I said, "sort of". I.e., If you choose to, you can deduct out the built-in price for "free" airfare and "free" pre-cruise luxury hotel and "free" ground transfers from airport to hotel to ship that Regent has "hidden" in the "2-for-1 price". They're not actually "free", at all. They're just included in the per person price. Regent allow you to deduct out those 3 included services and it will lower the "All Inclusive Price" that you'll have to actuallypay Regent and you can/will have to arrange and purchase those 3 items (air/hotel/ground transport) on your own seperately, if you choose to.

Regards.

And that's where TC's advice about a good TA who is familiar with Regent is your best friend. They know how to wade through all the marketing dreck.

Usually the agents who specialize in regent and other luxury cruises give more perks. That is one, but not the only, reason I switched from a mass market agent to one who specializes in regent. Other reason is if the fare goes down before final payment, my agent will try to get it for me. Previous agent didn't even try.

Usually the agents who specialize in regent and other luxury cruises give more perks. That is one, but not the only, reason I switched from a mass market agent to one who specializes in regent. Other reason is if the fare goes down before final payment, my agent will try to get it for me. Previous agent didn't even try.

RachelG - how did you find your "Regent" TA? We've call all of our local agencies... they all wanted our business but none of them specialized in Regent cruises. Our GOOGLE search wasn't much more successful. We have always booked all of cruises directly with the vendor. We did with our upcoming Regent cruise. I was wondering if you knew if we were to find a TA can we transfer our reservation to them. We could do this with the cruise line we usually sail. It would be nice to have someone else checking out price fluctuations and receiving a TA gift. Thanks for your continued help! Happy Sailing!

RachelG - how did you find your "Regent" TA? We've call all of our local agencies... they all wanted our business but none of them specialized in Regent cruises. Our GOOGLE search wasn't much more successful. We have always booked all of cruises directly with the vendor. We did with our upcoming Regent cruise. I was wondering if you knew if we were to find a TA can we transfer our reservation to them. We could do this with the cruise line we usually sail. It would be nice to have someone else checking out price fluctuations and receiving a TA gift. Thanks for your continued help! Happy Sailing!

We aren't allowed to recommend specific travel agents on this board, but if you do a search for "luxury cruise travel agent" you should be able to find some. I would not use a local travel agent for booking Regent. They don't know the product well enough. As for booking direct with the cruiseline, I did this a couple of times early on, and got fairly good service, but no perks or extras.

If you booked directly you can transfer the booking to a TA within 30 days, and yes there are TA's who give discounts in the form of a rebate check.

While we cannot recommend specific TA's, we can give consortium information - companies such as Signatures Travel Network, Virtuoso and Ensemble come to mind. These consortiums have hundreds of TA's and definitely could direct you to one that regularly books Regent cruises.

Edited by Travelcat2

Two for one is just like "everything included." They are simply marketing ploys.

Or my all-time favorite: FREE!! FREE EXCURSIONS!! FREE BUSINESS-CLASS AIR!! FREE BOOZE!! MORE FREE EXCURSIONS!! FREE SPECIALTY RESTAURANTS!! FREE TRANSFERS!! FREE PRE-CRUISE HOTEL!! EVEN MORE FREE EXCURSIONS!!! FREE!! FREE!! FREE!!

With everything being so 'free', I think THEY should pay ME to sail! Hahahaha! :D

Thank you again, Travelcat2. Have been using AmEx platinum.

I was thinking about your question regarding transferring your booking. If there is availability on your cruise (check the Regent website) and you are not within the penalty phase, you can cancel your cruise and rebook with another TA. You will be charged $200 for the cancellation but that will be recouped when you rebook. This might be easier for you than telling your TA that you want to transfer to someone else. It will seem as if you are simply cancelling the cruise. Just a thought!

If your AmEx platinum is through American Express (rather than through another bank), and you pay for your cruise with your card, you will receive $300 OBC's!

• 4 months later...

We are relatively new to cruising and the only two cruises we have done so far have been on Crystal. I am thinking of booking the Regent Explorer for a Baltic cruise in 2018. I'm just trying to get my head around the pricing and what is included in the listed price. Apart from all the onboard inclusions such as drinks, specialty restaurants, excursions etc am I right in assuming that the fare also includes business class air fare, one night pre cruise hotel accomodation and transfers to and from the ship? If so does that relate to all stateroom categories and is the included air only from the US? We are from Australia and I assume we would need to have the air deducted from the fare? Thanks in advance!

We are relatively new to cruising and the only two cruises we have done so far have been on Crystal. I am thinking of booking the Regent Explorer for a Baltic cruise in 2018. I'm just trying to get my head around the pricing and what is included in the listed price. Apart from all the onboard inclusions such as drinks, specialty restaurants, excursions etc am I right in assuming that the fare also includes business class air fare, one night pre cruise hotel accomodation and transfers to and from the ship? If so does that relate to all stateroom categories and is the included air only from the US? We are from Australia and I assume we would need to have the air deducted from the fare? Thanks in advance!

I believe that Australia has much different rules than in North America in terms of air. I would check with your local Regent office or with a TA that is familiar with and books Regent cruises. (In North America and I believe now in Europe, you get Business Class air included on international flights. You can opt out of air and receive a credit -- the amount of the credit is depending upon the itinerary).

Pre-cruise hotel accommodations are offered to passengers in Concierge and above suites.

Most excursions are included but there are excursions (called Regent Choice excursions) that do have a cost.

Your choice of ships and itinerary is wonderful:)

REGENT PRICING IN THE UK

Just a reminder that things are a little different in the UK:

1. We do not have the 2 for 1 "marketing ploy"; rather we have listed "Standard Fare" and a "Special Fare", the latter being Regent's actual price
  2. UK prices include Economy Air (and transfers). Business Air is only included for Penthouse Suites, and higher, where the cruise begins or ends in Europe. Regent do not pre-reserve airline seats; UK guests have to do this direct with the airline and pay any applicable charges
  3. As with the US, we can opt to take a credit for included air and hotels if not required
  4. TAs in the UK offer a straight discount on Regent pricing rather than a rebate i.e. final payment is the TAs discounted price less the deposit paid at time of booking
  5. Unless booking on-board, UK guests are required to pay a non-refundable deposit of 20% at time of booking
  6. Payment with an American Express card does not result in OBC

Sorry to interrupt this thread, which I realise is mainly about US pricing, but thought this info might be of interest particularly for anyone from the UK who has not sailed with Regent previously