Ultimate Balcony Dinner vs Regular Room Service

Nashna

We are sailing in a wonderful forward corner Lido mini-suite on the Regal in March. We understand that due to the size of the stateroom balcony (wrap around) that we will have a table and chairs on the deck, along with two recliners. Since we have never had that much balcony space, we thought it would be fun to have dinner on the balcony on the night we sail at 10:00 pm from St. Thomas. I understand that the Ultimate Balcony Dinner is a four course served meal. I'm not sure that we require that level of service. Frankly, it isn't the $100.00 meal cost that I'm concerned about. I'm more concerned about having a server hovering around while we finish our courses. Has anyone tried the Ultimate Balcony Dinner? What was your experience? Conversely, if you just had a room service dinner, how did you enjoy the experience? Thank you in advance for your input.

Honestly, there's no comparison between the UBD and "regular" room service. The UBD is very classy and well done. The servers don't hang over you while you're dining. When we did it recently, the weather was uncooperative so we had it in the mini suite. The servers were either out in the hallway between courses, or, after the entrees were served, they gave us a phone number to call when we were ready to have those dishes removed and dessert served.

Thank you for the quick reply. Your information is is helpful. Were you able to change any of the courses? My husband has Celiac Disease and can't have any wheat products. Princess talks about including drinks...are those drinks wine or cocktails?

Thank you for the quick reply. Your information is is helpful. Were you able to change any of the courses? My husband has Celiac Disease and can't have any wheat products. Princess talks about including drinks...are those drinks wine or cocktails?
Yes, you can request changes in the food.

Drinks: I think you get both. I don't drink, so never really paid any attention.

They put a tablecloth on the table, flowers, etc. And more food than you can possibly eat.

As far as the regular room service...you can order (anything in any amount) as long as it's in the room service menu.

The menu is limited.

Sandwiches (some hot, some cold), hot dog, burger, french fries, daily soup, salads, chili with chips, coffee, tea, milk, a couple of desserts.

We have done the UBD many times. There is no hovering. You can eat as fast or as slow as you want. A room Service supervisor will discuss the dinner with you a day or 2 before you UBD. You can ask the servers to bring courses when you wish. They usually hang out on the passageway. They bring the table setup as the mini table may not be very big.

As noted you can only order items on the RS menu if you just want to have RS dinner.

There is not much to choose from.

We did the UBD last year while cruising Alaska, and it was fabulous! My husband also does not eat any fish and they made accommodations throughout. The server also brought extra apps for my husband to make up that he was missing the crab cakes. We each got our own cocktail and opted for a full bottle of Asti instead of the half French champagne. We were concerned about the potential awkwardness of hovering but there was none. It was relaxing.

Agreed. It's one of our favorite things to do on Princess - they will work with you (within reason) on menu adjustments, and you set the pace (although be kind to your server, no 5 hour meals :) )

When we did it last we basically told the server when to come back when they delivered each course...

We did the UBD on Regal a couple weeks ago, the 3rd time we had done one. It was awesome! Our server, J Smith, was wonderful. Ask for him when you make your reservation. The servers waited in the hall and came in and checked on us every so often. We didn't make any changes to the menu but we have in the past, no problem. We love the free photo taken during the evening but we always have our camera out and have the server take a few more pictures. We didn't want to open the champagne so they left the bottle and bucket for us and we had it several nights later.

Try to book your dinner shortly after you board. St Thomas is a popular night. Our cabin was on the dock side so we missed seeing the pretty lights of town but we could see a hotel on our side that did a light show set to music. We pretended it was just for us.

We love the UBD so much it's one of our new cruising traditions.

I'm sold too! It sounds fantastic. Can you schedule it pre cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, you can order ahead of time. We selected a specific date for our upcoming cruise on the Regal. However, once on board you'll receive a card in your room with the UBD info; the card will tell you to call the dine line to set up the time on the date you chose. Someone will contact you later to discuss the details of the meals and to get your preferences. You are going to love it!

We did the UBD last year while cruising Alaska, and it was fabulous! My husband also does not eat any fish and they made accommodations throughout. The server also brought extra apps for my husband to make up that he was missing the crab cakes. We each got our own cocktail and opted for a full bottle of Asti instead of the half French champagne. We were concerned about the potential awkwardness of hovering but there was none. It was relaxing.

How was it on a balcony to Alaska? Was wondering if it was to cold.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

A UBD while underway is pretty special, but a UBD at dockside is incredible! We had one in Venice. Highly recommended. The service is outstanding, and while they don't hover, if you want they will stay and talk to you - we love interacting with the staff. They will also take photos with your camera as well. We like the group shots when the supervisor comes around.

One suggestion, double check the photos before the photographer leaves the room. Lots of glass and mirrors in the cabin can cause a lot of reflections. Our favorite photo was on the balcony under a full rising moon over Venice!

IMHO the UBD is a still a bargain and a better deal than the Chef's Table. Much more intimate, romantic, special, quiet, leisurely and FUN!

I really can't add much to what has already been said about the UBD, but I would like to relate my wife's comments after our UBD: "I've never felt so pampered in my life." Hint: "Pampered wife" is a very, very good thing.

I'll also add this link to a video I recommend:

I really can't add much to what has already been said about the UBD, but I would like to relate my wife's comments after our UBD: "I've never felt so pampered in my life." Hint: "Pampered wife" is a very, very good thing.

I'll also add this link to a video I recommend:

\

I had already just booked the UBD dinner when I viewed the video. That video just confirmed our dinner choice for our stop in St. Thomas. Thank you for posting.

Couple of notes about UBD now that I have more time...

1> In my book the absolute best time is sailaway from a port. Still no underway wind, views of the port as you leave, etc. (Our favorite was Cartagena)

2> Alaska will usually be fine mid-season. Shoulders would probably be too cold.

3> Do note that in case of inclement weather it will be moved inside. Still nice, but not the same. That's the only risk.

4> As an FYI, if you sail NCL in the Haven, your butler can do this as part of their duties for no addl charge besides their tip (you don't get the photo or the booze and its not a special menu, but still)- every night if you want...

We've did it twice. Loved both evenings. Once in Montevideo on a beautiful evening in port, Star Princess. We were facing the city so it was super to watch the lights come on across town as we dined. The next was this last Thanksgiving. We were on the Pacific Princess sailing along the Balkans in the Adriatic Sea. We had a mini, which had a very wide cabin allowing the entire glass wall overlooking the balcony and sea to become a big picture window when the blinds were pulled way back.

It was chilly that night so we decided to eat inside. Good choice. We had Maine Lobster instead of turkey, wife is from Northern Maine and her favorite. Reason we chose that night was because they hadn't got us situated in the MDR yet at a decent table and time.

They provided champagne and wine. Champagne to be used to toast when the photographer takes your picture, pictures are not part of the package. It was a busy night and the photographer was late, so he gave us the pictures for free. We didn't drink the champagne but toasted with wine. We brought the champagne home with us and on Christmas day, with all the kids and grand kids at dinner, we shared the champagne.

We have always had our photos included with the UBD for no additional charge.

I thought only one photo was included and additional ones would need to be purchased.

By the way, in the treads about the new $99 ($199 on board) photo package, it was noted that pictures from the UBD were not included in that.