Identification

mcchane1

Everything I read states certified birth certificate and drivers license I have never seen anything about needing supporting documents if the 2 names don't match. My daughter is divorced and her last name doesn't match on birth certificate and drivers license. She doesn't have a Copy of her marriage certificate. Should she get one?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If she gets a passport the name discrepancy won't matter. It will probably be cheaper to get a copy of the marriage certificate. Ideally she should get both. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by traveler279

Nothing mentions the names not matching because it's supposed to be self explanatory. If the names don't match, what's stopping people from just borrowing documents from other people if they aren't legal residents? How would they know that the two "jane's" are the same person?

I second what Traveler279 suggested; get a passport.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

It called having "Bridging" documents to show how your daughters name started out as one name (birth cert) and changed to some other name (marriage Cert) and still became still some other name (divorce or other court doc) and ???? These are all called "Bridging" documents. It's soooooo much easier to just have a Passport good for 10 yrs! :)

Everything I read states certified birth certificate and drivers license I have never seen anything about needing supporting documents if the 2 names don't match. My daughter is divorced and her last name doesn't match on birth certificate and drivers license. She doesn't have a Copy of her marriage certificate. Should she get one?

Yes, or a passport, whichever is more convenient for her.

While I agree a passport is best. Which is what I have, hence no experience with the birth certificate. She says she "doesn't think it necessary. Guess I can't make here. Ugh

Curious what doesn't she think is necessary? A passport or the Bridging Documents that match Birth Cert to Current name on ID....

Edited by JVilleGal

While I agree a passport is best. Which is what I have, hence no experience with the birth certificate. She says she "doesn't think it necessary. Guess I can't make here. Ugh

If she does not want to follow your advice - then it is her problem and not yours. Let her figure it out. Sometimes people really only learn when they figure it out on their own.

Well too bad for your son if he likes to travel, cause he picked a woman with no desire to see the world. Oh well.

Nothing mentions the names not matching because it's supposed to be self explanatory. If the names don't match, what's stopping people from just borrowing documents from other people if they aren't legal residents? How would they know that the two "jane's" are the same person?

I second what Traveler279 suggested; get a passport.

The documentation required for any type of travel is heavily defined by law and regulation- there is nothing "self-explanatory" about it. The fact is neither the law nor the regulations say anything about this issue. CBP does have the authority to ask for further documentation if needed (even if someone presents a passport), but from all that I've read it is rare that they do. While the cruise is going on CBP vets all of the passengers including checking government databases. It really isn't that common to find two people with 1) the same first name and 2) the exact same date of birth.

The documentation required for any type of travel is heavily defined by law and regulation- there is nothing "self-explanatory" about it. The fact is neither the law nor the regulations say anything about this issue. CBP does have the authority to ask for further documentation if needed (even if someone presents a passport), but from all that I've read it is rare that they do. While the cruise is going on CBP vets all of the passengers including checking government databases. It really isn't that common to find two people with 1) the same first name and 2) the exact same date of birth.

It might be rare, but it still doesn't make sense for anyone to think they can show up with documentation that has 2 different names on them. Maybe I'm giving people too much credit for having common sense. It's like when newlyweds book a trip in the wife's new last name and don't realize their ID doesn't match the booking until they're at the airport, or people who don't realize their passports are expired until a week before they leave [emoji849]

It might be rare, but it still doesn't make sense for anyone to think they can show up with documentation that has 2 different names on them. Maybe I'm giving people too much credit for having common sense. It's like when newlyweds book a trip in the wife's new last name and don't realize their ID doesn't match the booking until they're at the airport, or people who don't realize their passports are expired until a week before they leave [emoji849]

We've done it several times and while we did have our marriage certificate with us no one ever asked to see it. There is a difference between an ID not matching and what we are discussing. When you went to the DMV to get your new license what did you have to give them? Your marriage license. So the authorities already know that you've produced proof to change your name to what is on your ID.

When you apply for a passport for the first time you don't send your marriage license in, so why would you need to produce it for a closed loop cruise? The State Department will be checking the same databases that CBP does.

It does make sense, thousands of married women board cruise ships every day with their birth certificates and drivers licenses. Don't you think the cruise lines would mention the need for bridging documents if they were needed?

It does make sense, thousands of married women board cruise ships every day with their birth certificates and drivers licenses. Don't you think the cruise lines would mention the need for bridging documents if they were needed?

Not only the cruise lines, but CBP. Their website makes no mention of a requirement for bridging documents:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting.

Also, everyone here keeps stating drivers license, but the requirement is for "government-issued photo ID. DL's are obviously the most common, but they aren't a requirement.

We've done it several times and while we did have our marriage certificate with us no one ever asked to see it. There is a difference between an ID not matching and what we are discussing. When you went to the DMV to get your new license what did you have to give them? Your marriage license. So the authorities already know that you've produced proof to change your name to what is on your ID.

When you apply for a passport for the first time you don't send your marriage license in, so why would you need to produce it for a closed loop cruise? The State Department will be checking the same databases that CBP does.

The marriage certificate shows that the person on the bc became the person on the new ID.

Just showing a bc and a DL with different names doesn't show the legal change at all or that the person is the same person. See the part you're missing?

If my husband presented a bc saying Robert Jones but his license says Robert Smith, don't you think they would question that? Shouldn't they, wouldn't YOU, want him to have some documentation that Jones became Smith at some point?

Same for married western women, or at least the ones who change their names. Every person who has changed their name should have that bridge document with them and it should always be checked.

Because I could grab a bc of some other Molly name and my own license with a different last name. Having a DL in a different last name doesn't prove that it's the same person.

As for checking records, what records?

DS and I had our nexus interviews the other week. The agent had DH and DS's BCs right up there on his screen. I have to bring mine in for them to scan (bc if I lose my passport the nexus card can act as the passport, he said, if they have my bc entered). Why? Because even though they had a frightening amount of info there they didn't have the CA system up for my bc. And they almost certainly didn't have our Oregon marriage certificate in there. You're asking them to do too much.

Are most women who changed their names asked for the bridging document? Sadly, no. (Massive security hole there) If you're asked for it, and you don't have it, how fun will that be?

So much easier to not change your name!

Everything I read states certified birth certificate and drivers license I have never seen anything about needing supporting documents if the 2 names don't match. My daughter is divorced and her last name doesn't match on birth certificate and drivers license. She doesn't have a Copy of her marriage certificate.

So her bc says Jones, her license says Smith, but she's a Mcgillicuddy?

And she thinks it's reasonable for her to be allowed onboard with what could be three different people's' IDs?

Ok.

Just because she shows up with Mr Mcgillicuddy doesn't mean they'll be ok with it.

Why doesn't she have a copy of the marriage certificate?

Why hasn't she changed her name

On the DL yet? (Of course she'd need a certified marriage cert for that!)

Well I told her she needs a copy of her marriage license (even though she's now divorced). I guess she can burn it after the cruise.

Oh I see more clearly now.

Born a Jones, changed to Smith. What is she now? Did she not go back to Jones? There was a marriage certificate at some point for her to change to Smith, yes?

What if she brought her divorce documents to show that she had been married to Smith?

It's probably not going to be an issue (though if asked I probably wouldn't mention the divorce if she's still going by married name) but if she's asked about it she will likely regret having nothing.

I always bring my marriage certificate if I'm sailing without a passport. Truthfully I don't recall if they've ever asked. I just prefer to have it just in case.

I found this online https://www.regonline.com/custImages/290000/297999/RequiredTravelDocuments.pdf

Different Surnames (Last Names):

If a woman has several surnames on different documents such as birth certificate and drivers license, then

she must bridge the difference with other documents, such as, marriage license and/or divorce papers.

The additional bridging documents must be the original or a certified or notarized copy.

Edited by dcgrumpy