Mariner room with and without bathtub

I will be on the Mariner in about a month and have read some reviews that they did not like the bathroom with the bathtub as much as the one with the shower only. Can anyone tell me why someone would not like the bathtub when that seems more desirable. I currently have a G cat room with a bathtub but can still can change my room to a shower only bathroom.

Thanks for any advice on this, Rick

We prefer showering to bathing so the suites with shower-only are perfect for us :)

The suites with a bathtub/shower combo are awkward to get in and out for a shower, especially if you are tall (high bathtub; low ceiling)

In the suites that have been converted to shower only (the majority) the shower uses all the space originally occupied by the (short) bathtub so the shower is very roomy with a useful tiled seat/shelf at one end

Attached pictures show the different arrangements

Mariner_Bath.jpg.9c9c059e1c5921c0ade3ec12adae245a.jpg

Mariner_shower.jpg.ca5b5c3db4d4540569ce5f3f84da521c.jpg

We always pick a shower only cabin. I am 5ft and know I would struggle out a high side tub safely esp if ship moving a bit, and my husband who is 6ft 3 would no doubt struggle with the low ceiling height.

The shower only is a good shower with overhead and hand held option too. For me personally I feel safer with this type of cabin design, but it's very much a personal choice. Compared to Navigator and Voyager the Mariner bathrooms are very small. Jean.

We prefer the Mariner shower only option , we rarely use the tub/bath in a hotel room/ cabin anyway, but when its hot will shower at least once a day. The Mariner shower has a seat which with the dual hand held shower head as well as the fixed power shower means you can wash your feet easily as well, plus there is enough room for 2 (if that appeals!!) Also no shower curtain a glass door, a line which dries swim wear etc is also provided.

I am 6ft 2 and find the height issue in a combined tub/shower plus the step down which my DW dislikes greatly, means we always on the Mariner have had shower only. We are on the Navigator on a B2B for22 days this summer, so will have both, however I would doubt the bath will be overused.

However bath v shower is a personal issue that brings strong opinions out. In the UK now the shower continues to increase in popularity esp in the under 55 age groups and males particularly seem to favour showers, very much a change from 30/40 years ago.

Navigator--not that I know of. Standard suites on both Navigator and Voyager have a bathtub with shower and a separate shower stall, the latter of which is quite small.

The large shower stalls on Mariner sound great--hope I get one (we have a GTY.)

To the OP, it's an accessibility issue--for many in our typical age group, bathtubs are dangerous when taking a shower and we'd rather just walk in. Of course, if you love having a bath, then you're out of luck.

To my knowledge, all suites on the Navigator have separate showers and bathtubs. The Mariner used to have all bathtub/shower combos until they were inundated with complaints about how difficult it is to get into and out of the bathtub (even if you are able bodied) and how low the ceiling is which isn't really that low -- the bathtub is just raised up too much. The showers that replaced the bathtub are wonderful.

While not a deal-breaker, we prefer Mariner's shower-only suites.

Anybody know if suites on navigator have any just showers?

As far as I know, the only suites on the Navigator that are shower–only are the four Handicap Suites.

We prefer the Mariner shower only option , we rarely use the tub/bath in a hotel room/ cabin anyway, but when its hot will shower at least once a day. The Mariner shower has a seat which with the dual hand held shower head as well as the fixed power shower means you can wash your feet easily as well, plus there is enough room for 2 (if that appeals!!) Also no shower curtain a glass door, a line which dries swim wear etc is also provided.

I am 6ft 2 and find the height issue in a combined tub/shower plus the step down which my DW dislikes greatly, means we always on the Mariner have had shower only. We are on the Navigator on a B2B for22 days this summer, so will have both, however I would doubt the bath will be overused.

However bath v shower is a personal issue that brings strong opinions out. In the UK now the shower continues to increase in popularity esp in the under 55 age groups and males particularly seem to favour showers, very much a change from 30/40 years ago.

Thanks for the info. I asked Flossie on another thread about the shower lines and if they had them in both the shower and the tub/shower combination. I now have an answer about the shower. I think we're going to try to change to the shower only based on everyone's comments here. Hope we can get the same cabin for a B2B!

We have a dissenting view.

It's a tough choice for people who, like us, much prefer baths to showers. The tubs are, in fact, too short, and perhaps too low for showers for tall people. On the other hand, when we've had shower only rooms (such as on the Wind Surf), we've really, really missed having a bath.

The lack of decent bathtubs is the reason why the Mariner is our least favorite Regent ship.

If you are not (like us) a bath person, I'd probably go for a shower - but it's not worth changing to a worse location that what you have.

The large shower stalls on Mariner sound great--hope I get one (we have a GTY.)

Wendy,

It would not hurt to put in a request with your TA and/or Regent

When we opted for a GTY on Mariner, last summer, we asked for our shower preference to be noted and got what we requested :)

Flossie

So if I understand the Navigator had a separate tub and shower, not a combo?

Yes - both the Navigator and Voyager (our favorite ship) have a separate tub and shower!

Edited by Travelcat2

My wife always wants a bath tub. She's five feet tall so for her the Mariner tub is just right.

I like tubs but typically use the outdoor jacuzzi because the Mariner tub isn't deep or long enough for me. (Or I get the same before dinner relaxation from a sauna and shower...)

The tubs on Mariner are just down right dangerous for relatively short people (I am 5'4" but include myself in the group). There is a big step down getting out. We now always get a shower only on Mariner--and they are nice and big.

The Mariner bathtub/shower situation has a long (and I think interesting) back story. When the Mariner first sailed, all the 256 sf. suites (plus balcony) had a tub/shower combination. The problem was that the tub was mounted on a "platform" area 6" above the bathroom floor. Taller guests complained here on CC about the lack of headroom while trying to shower. That was about the time of our first Mariner cruise. I took a small tape measurer along and measured the headroom for those standing in the tub taking a shower. It measured 6' 2". So those that tall or taller found taking a shower to be a real problem. I'm about 5' 7" and my wife is 5' 1". We like to take showers. She, of course, had no problem. On the other hand, even I had problems hitting my knuckles against the ceiling when shampooing in the shower. On the Mariner's first dry dock, Regent (then Radisson) converted a number of these suites to shower only, with a nice sized shower stall. Some suites were left as they were for those who prefer a tub bath. I felt that the tub/shower combination had an additional problem. For those of us who shower, there simply isn't much horizontal room in that enclosure. The "shower only" shower stalls have more room side to side, as well as more headroom.

So for those who always take showers, the "shower only" configuration is best. For those who always take tub baths, the tub/shower configuration is, of course, best.

Edited by Dolebludger

For those who have the tub/shower combo and are not too tall, ask your room attendant for a step stool. The first time we were on the Mariner , we asked for a step stool as I am 5' and my husband had just had hip surgery. The stool was perfect for getting in and out and had a top step "handle" that made it safe. Now we always ask for shower only but know there is an alternative if we have the tub room.

• 8 months later...

You can't call it realy a BATH on the Mariner in the combi suites. It is more a small babybath. We had the combi because my wife like to relax in it.

It was and no bath and no shower. So she only could use it with more skin out the water than under and the shower was so small you always feel the curtain.