First cruise of the Alaska season - May 2-9

My sister and I are boarding the Westerdam in just a few hours for the first Alaskan cruise this year. We are going to have so much fun and if you'd like to follow along, our blog is http://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com.

There will be photos. There will be dinner menus. There will be lots of running commentary ;)

Edited by TheSecondSister

YAY! I've been combing the boards hoping to find a 'live from' or 'blog' I could sail vicariously to on THE most special place on earth! Have a wonderful time - I'll be here, popcorn in hand and a cup of Chai tea from the Homer Brewery in hand to enjoy the 'view'. Thanks for taking us along!

Thanks from Kentucky - I'll be sharing your blog with my granddaughters who will be cruising with us to Alaska on the Westerdam in early June ... I'm sure that your blog will enhance our "getting-ready-to-go excitement" over the next 3 or so weeks!!!

Hope you have a great time and smooth sailing all the way,

Rod

WOW! I just visited your blog (with modest expectations as to how good it would be) and, to put it mildly, I was blown away - what an incredible documentary you (and your sister) have created.

Of special significance (to me) was your (very good) recipe for "Bourbon Pecan Pie", not to be confused with "Derby-Pie" which comes from Kern's Kitchen here in Louisville and is made with walnuts instead of pecans ... since today is Derby Day, I will be enjoying my DW's (delicious) version of a pecan-based Derby Day pie for dinner desert ...

Thank you again for sharing your blog.

Only a few hours until you board ... smooth sailing,

Rod

I was on the Westerdam March 21-28, 2015 it was our 3rd cruise with HAL and the best so far. On the last night of the cruise we gave additional cash tips in the dining room - very discreetly. After we gave the assistant waiter his cash, our friends saw the assistant waiter walk over to the head waiter (for our section) and the money was handed to the head waiter. I never saw this before. I did not want to embarrass anyone so I did not question them. Does anyone know for sure if HAL requires the staff to turn in any additional cash tips that they receive??? If I had known that the additional tips would be pooled, I probably would not have given them the cash.

Thank you all for your good wishes and kind words. I shall do my best not to disappoint. :)

Despite it being the first cruise of the season, check in and boarding were smooth, efficient and no delay. (Boarding started at 11:35.)

Edited by TheSecondSister

IRL-Joanie,

Thankfully the "riot" issues in Seattle were contained in a relatively small, few block area - no where near where any cruisers would have any reason to be unless visiting someone in the Capital Hill Area. The problems were probably close to 10 miles from the HAL Pier and more than that from the airport. I-5 was also at least a mile away - but even that could be easily avoided if you were willing to drive some miles out to the way.

Yes, it was a serious problem in that small area, but for the rest of Seattle - the national News Media did us no favors - there was no risk. I must say, from what the local media showed (we may learn more that changes that impression) if looked and sounded like the Seattle Police did a wonderful job of containing and channeling the rioters.

Now, this is not just a Seattle issue - stories about the Watts Riots in a part of LA made many folks think LA was burning - well a few blocks were. Same with the Newark Riots many years ago, and the examples of on.

Yes, if you lived or worked in the area, things were awful, BUT, Most of LA (or Newark) would not have even know about the problems without the Media reports.

This morning at least one local news did report on and show the Westerdam, apparently the very first Alaska Cruise ship in Seattle for the season. They said that more Alaska cruises were scheduled to leave from Seattle this year than ever before.

Looking forward to following your adventures, great blog. Boarding the Statendam for Alaska on June 1, until then looking forward to seeing Alaska vicariously through you.

Have a wonderful time!

I was on the Westerdam March 21-28, 2015 it was our 3rd cruise with HAL and the best so far. On the last night of the cruise we gave additional cash tips in the dining room - very discreetly. After we gave the assistant waiter his cash, our friends saw the assistant waiter walk over to the head waiter (for our section) and the money was handed to the head waiter. I never saw this before. I did not want to embarrass anyone so I did not question them. Does anyone know for sure if HAL requires the staff to turn in any additional cash tips that they receive??? If I had known that the additional tips would be pooled, I probably would not have given them the cash.

It could have been tip pooling. It could have been evidence of tip collusion at work. It could have been something as simple as the repayment of a personal loan or a bet. Rest assured, I doubt that anyone will know for sure what was going on.

This has been as close to a perfect day as any I've ever had. I've posted my latest blog, wrapping up the day. (https://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com/)

For those that want to know, I opted for the mid level unlimited internet plan - only $60 for the whole trip. So far internet speed hasn't been a problem, but then again, we aren't that far away from "civilization" - tomorrow, going up the BC coast, might be a different story, but so far so good!

Life is good,

Signed up to follow your blog. From your picture archive I discovered that we were on the same 2 week Amsterdam cruise in 2012. Your pictures brought back lots of good memories!! Looking forward to this trip "with" you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We just got off the Westerdam, having spent 3 weeks on her. A lovely ship and a great crew led by a captain with a terrific sense of humour.:) Will be following along with you.

We have the same great officers and many of the same great staff that you did; Captain Van Eerten even managed 4 toots as we headed out of Seattle. On other ships, we've usually gotten only one. I enjoy the tootling - but then again, I live not far from some train tracks, and train whistles always make me smile!