Drinking Water on HAL Ships

I've been sailing HAL for three decades, and I find that after a couple of days aboard, my feet and ankles swell. It is really annoying, and never happens at home or even abroad on land, even if I'm eating in restaurants a lot. Does anyone know how HAL processes their drinking water supply aboard ship? I did call HAL, and the person I spoke to contacted Ship's Services and said that an "osmosis" system is used, but couldn't give me a definitive answer beyond that! This will not keep me from cruising. In my cabin, I drink bottled water but avoiding the ship's water is nearly impossible (think coffee, tea, soups, etc.) I've just curious and am hoping that a CC poster who has worked on ships can solve this mystery for me. As I said, this phenomena won't keep me from sailing, but it is not pretty to look at. (I'm thinking of wearing UGS on my upcoming South America trip!!!)

Drinking water on board comes from two sources, (1) potable water purchased and loaded at some ports of call, and (2) processed water made by the reverse osmosis (so-called "RO") process. RO water should be fully the equal in terms of purity of commercial drinking water from U.S. public water utilities, if not better. I'd wonder if what you experience isn't from some other cause, e.g. a change in diet.

Edited by Dave in NJ

Reverse Osmosis is what most "bottled" water companies use, if it doesn't come directly out of a tap somewhere! They generally "add back" some minerals (including an iota of salt,magnesium and potassium) for taste.

I would imagine it's the salt in the FOOD, not the water, and higher than normal humidity and a change in your routine.

One of my friends had that happen to her on her last cruise, and it had never happened before.

For me it's the hot weather and walks. Out on a tour in the hot sun my hands swell up so much I look like the Hulk! Back in the cool ship they return to normal. But other than the hot weather, water on the ship doesn't affect me like you.

Dan

This is extremely interesting to me since I always seem to have swollen ankles and fingers when cruising and it never happens to my husband. So no matter what is causing it to happen, I too agree that it must be more about each individual person.

I know I went to the spa one time and she was commenting on my ankles and saying she had never seen them swollen like this and I should go to the doctor when I get home since I have a medical problem, but by the time I get home, it's gone. AND it always seems to happen on cruise ships, but not when I travel abroad to foreign places not by ship.

But for those of us that are effected by whatever it is....any advice on how to settle it down? We can't stop eating and drinking water on cruise ships. :-)

For me it's the hot weather and walks. Out on a tour in the hot sun my hands swell up so much I look like the Hulk! Back in the cool ship they return to normal. But other than the hot weather, water on the ship doesn't affect me like you.

Dan

Same with me, Dan! My hands and feet swell in the sun (even at home). Once I'm back in a/c, they return to normal by the next day.

Tap water and food on the ship have never been a problem. :)

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

But for those of us that are effected by whatever it is....any advice on how to settle it down? We can't stop eating and drinking water on cruise ships. :-)

There is a thread on the fashion forum about this. They talk about "brushing". Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1637335

Hope this helps.

My ankles and feet started to swell at an alarming rate on the Westerdam a few weeks ago. So much so I couldn't wear my shoes, just sandles. I was told it was the salt in the food so to watch what I was eating. I stopped eating bacon, omelets, etc at breakfast and stuck to fruit and yogurt. I was also told to sleep with my feet elevated on a pillow. I never had an issue after I did that 2 nights in a row. I was on a 20 day cruise and this happened the first week.

The OP didn't say whether this problem only affects him/her on cruises in warm climates or when cruising in general, even in a temperate climate. They did suggest that they didn't notice it when abroad but not cruising but again it is not clear that this is in the same types of climates.

Swelling is common in hot climates because our blood vessels dilate as part of the body's natural cooling mechanisms. That results in a greater flow of blood to our extremities. The dilatation can also allow some of that fluid to leave the blood vessels and to accumulate in those areas where gravity has the most effect, primarily our ankles and to a lesser degree our wrists and hands. Normally that fluid returns as a result of a pumping action created by the muscles in our arms and legs. If the volume of blood pumped back is less than that pumped out we get swelling.

If we factor in other issues this can be exacerbated. In hot climates we may actually exercise less ( because it's so hot } so the return pump is working less than normal when we may need it more. This increases the imbalance between volume in and volume out and make it even more likely that we'd swell. Now add that in that we are on vacation anyway, so may well be even less active than normal, even if it were not for the heat.

If it is hot we will probably sweat more. When we do we actually lose body salt. Normally excess salt is associated with fluid retention ( and high blood pressure etc as a consequence) but if we have decreased salt that can also affect the osmotic pressure gradient ( how the body moves some chemicals in and out of our cells and tissues) in a way that can add to the problem. It can be inadequate salt and not the opposite that is the problem in warm climates.

So we have dilation, decreased activity and increased salt loss that can all contribute to swelling. These all apply even in healthy individuals. Add other complicating factors such as possibly pre existing mobility problems, varicose veins, obesity, congestive heart failure etc and you can see how a problem can potentially develop. If the swelling goes down overnight ( usually by peeing more than normal when at home ) it may not be a concern. If you have any of the health issues mentioned ( and probably others I haven't listed as well), if it fails to go down or you have any other worries then discuss it with your physician.

Things you can do yourself include exercising ( and it can be as simple as wiggling your ankles while sitting on your sun lounger.... although you may need to do it a lot to make up for your overall decreased activity), elevating the affected limbs whenever possible, wiggling while elevated and ensuring an adequate salt intake ( not avoiding it as might at first glance seem appropriate, although if you have blood pressure issues, kidney issues or other circulatory concerns you really should seek advice on this last issue).

Of course if this occurs even in temperate climates then the dilation and salt loss may not be a factor but decreased activity could still be a contributor.

Edited because I was reminded of the comment of my old principal. Delete all references to sweat. Horses sweat, men perspire.......and ladies "Glow".

Edited by Fizzer59

This is extremely interesting to me since I always seem to have swollen ankles and fingers when cruising and it never happens to my husband. So no matter what is causing it to happen, I too agree that it must be more about each individual person.

I know I went to the spa one time and she was commenting on my ankles and saying she had never seen them swollen like this and I should go to the doctor when I get home since I have a medical problem, but by the time I get home, it's gone. AND it always seems to happen on cruise ships, but not when I travel abroad to foreign places not by ship.

Swollen extremities in the heat affects women more than men, so that isn't unusual. Exercise, elevation of the limbs etc typically work. Avoiding fluids is not a good idea at all.

It is usually the food but the salt air also contributes. Hate it when I have major swelling issues and have to go to the low salt dinners which are preordered off the next evening's menu. Stay away from the soups.... Asked the Prinsedam chef once about the problem as have found it is ship and cruise related (i.e. never have a problem on the Amsterdam, always on the Prinsedam, only a bit on the Noordam) and his comment was along the lines of - 'if we do not use lots of salt, people complain about bland food'. Personally thought this was a cop out as I do not cook with salt but use lots of spices for flavors and friends come back on a regular basis for dinner.

My doc says to drink fluids (non-alcoholic) and elevate my feet when possible. I also bring dressy black slippers that look like capezzio flats for dinner when my feet are swelling as they can expand.

When checking with DH's Cardiologist about going on our last cruise (we'd had to cancel our previous reservation due to cardiac problems) the Doc was pretty emphatic that DH should be careful of salt in the food on cruise ships and pretend that the salt shaker didn't exist. At home I cook with little or no added salt.

DH avoided the shaker as well as sauces on the foods. That along with drinking water during the day and he had no ankle swelling :)

The OP didn't say whether this problem only affects him/her on cruises in warm climates or when cruising in general, even in a temperate climate. They did suggest that they didn't notice it when abroad but not cruising but again it is not clear that this is in the same types of climates.

Swelling is common in hot climates because our blood vessels dilate as part of the body's natural cooling mechanisms. That results in a greater flow of blood to our extremities. The dilatation can also allow some of that fluid to leave the blood vessels and to accumulate in those areas where gravity has the most effect, primarily our ankles and to a lesser degree our wrists and hands. Normally that fluid returns as a result of a pumping action created by the muscles in our arms and legs. If the volume of blood pumped back is less than that pumped out we get swelling.

If we factor in other issues this can be exacerbated. In hot climates we may actually exercise less ( because it's so hot } so the return pump is working less than normal when we may need it more. This increases the imbalance between volume in and volume out and make it even more likely that we'd swell. Now add that in that we are on vacation anyway, so may well be even less active than normal, even if it were not for the heat.

If it is hot we will probably sweat more. When we do we actually lose body salt. Normally excess salt is associated with fluid retention ( and high blood pressure etc as a consequence) but if we have decreased salt that can also affect the osmotic pressure gradient ( how the body moves some chemicals in and out of our cells and tissues) in a way that can add to the problem. It can be inadequate salt and not the opposite that is the problem in warm climates.

So we have dilation, decreased activity and increased salt loss that can all contribute to swelling. These all apply even in healthy individuals. Add other complicating factors such as possibly pre existing mobility problems, varicose veins, obesity, congestive heart failure etc and you can see how a problem can potentially develop. If the swelling goes down overnight ( usually by peeing more than normal when at home ) it may not be a concern. If you have any of the health issues mentioned ( and probably others I haven't listed as well), if it fails to go down or you have any other worries then discuss it with your physician.

Things you can do yourself include exercising ( and it can be as simple as wiggling your ankles while sitting on your sun lounger.... although you may need to do it a lot to make up for your overall decreased activity), elevating the affected limbs whenever possible, wiggling while elevated and ensuring an adequate salt intake ( not avoiding it as might at first glance seem appropriate, although if you have blood pressure issues, kidney issues or other circulatory concerns you really should seek advice on this last issue).

Of course if this occurs even in temperate climates then the dilation and salt loss may not be a factor but decreased activity could still be a contributor.

Edited because I was reminded of the comment of my old principal. Delete all references to sweat. Horses sweat, men perspire.......and ladies "Glow".

It happens to me on EVERY cruise, even in Glacier Bay in Alaska. Also, I live in SW Florida where the summers are brutally hot, and my feet and legs NEVER swell. It must be the food on board. But I will sleep with my feet raised up on pillows!

Thanks for the clarification. Is it decreased activity on vacation perhaps? If not then I would suggest your massage therapist's advice of getting it checked might not be a bad idea. Good luck.

Elevating your legs at night would help, providing you don't put the pillows under your knees. Your ankles need to be higher than your knees, which need to be higher than your hips.

Thank you one and all. Perhaps it is the salt in the food. (I don't cook with much salt at home.) I'll just have to tough it out, I guess. (A lot of people would love to "tough it out" on the Prinsendam!)

I will tough it out any day on the Prinsendam.

I actually found things were not that bad on that ship, but I agree that it is the food.

What you can do is tell them you have to limit your salt intake and they will treat it like an allergy and I believe they will have you select your meals one day in advance and there will be less salt.

btw - if you drink lots of fluids it does help mitigate it.

Edited by kazu

It's usually the food, or specifically the changes in your diet on the ship. If you start to consume more carbohydrates, it tends to increase your insulin levels. That, in turn, aids in sodium retention and water retention.

It's a bit complicated to explain in a post.