What would you expect on the first sailing of the Empress?

I am booked on the (now) first scheduled saiing of the Empress on May 28. I alternate between impatiently looking forward to it and wishing it would be cancelled. One day I think it will be great to be on the "inaugural" sailing and the next I am apprehensive about what to expect.

Do you think we will walk into a cabin with new carpeting and beds, working a/c and toilet, and crew members anxious to get back to work? Or will it be a disorganized mess, with the first passengers being the ones to find out what (else) doesn't work? Will RCI be so eager to make up for the bad PR that the cancellations caused that there will be really exceptional service and possibly some special food, activities, or events?

If you were on the first sailing, would you be looking forward to it or dreading it?

Will RCI be so eager to make up for the bad PR that the cancellations caused that there will be really exceptional service and possibly some special food, activities, or events?

Ha! Yeah right, they got our money already, stock price after call didn't drop. Expect the same service as usual or worse

I cancelled this trip when they cancelled the first time. I had the Royal suite booked. I didn't want to be on one of the first sailings. I am so glad I did. I hope itworks out for you and they provide great service.

I would expect the same teething issues you'd find on any ship coming out of drydock. workers still finishing cosmetic work, maybe 5-10% of venues not operating properly, could be items missing from staterooms on order still. At best you can hope for a seamless experience. Razzle dazzle? no way

I would expect the same teething issues you'd find on any ship coming out of drydock. workers still finishing cosmetic work, maybe 5-10% of venues not operating properly, could be items missing from staterooms on order still. At best you can hope for a seamless experience. Razzle dazzle? no way

That is why I don't (deliberately) book the first sailing out of drydock. I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the second list of cancelled cruises and realized we were now the first sailing.

Edited by ZoeyVictoria

94414084-bug-spray-600x450.jpg

Ha!

I'm glad I cancelled our May 28 booking way back. I wouldn't want to be on the first sailing. I'd rather wait for others to go first and report back. Good luck to OP and others still booked for May 28!

I really hope after all the delays that what you anticipate is not the case. There is no reason for cosmetic work still to be finished....they have basically had almost 8 weeks additional to complete all of that. Items should not be still on back order, they have had an additional 8 weeks to rectify any of that. There will be no excuse for 5-10% of venues not working properly, they have had 8 weeks of additional time to train staff and get the kinks all out.

I would expect a fully refurbished ship meaning new carpeting, furniture etc.

I would expect the best service onboard they can offer....there should be some exec's on the sailing as well....and there should be after this launch fiasco.

Edited by Paulette3028

I really hope after all the delays that what you anticipate is not the case. There is no reason for cosmetic work still to be finished....they have basically had almost 8 weeks additional to complete all of that. Items should not be still on back order, they have had an additional 8 weeks to rectify any of that. There will be no excuse for 5-10% of venues not working properly, they have had 8 weeks of additional time to train staff and get the kinks all out.

I would expect a fully refurbished ship meaning new carpeting, furniture etc.

I would expect the best service onboard they can offer....there should be some exec's on the sailing as well....and there should be after this launch fiasco.

I've learned the hard way not to sail a ship coming out of dry dock.

And yes, the additional delays should mean that none of these things are issues, but that doesn't mean they won't be.

You still have crew training on new to them menus, using new equipment, staff getting acclimated to the "Royal way", etc.

It's nice to think they've had the time to sort everything out, but ships coming out of drydock have teething issues far more often than they do not.

We do not know how extensive the re-fit is in terms of cabins, plumbing, fixtures, etc.

I still say the best one can hope for is a seamless experience. But no razzle dazzle. They barely do anything special on inaugural voyages of NEW ships anymore...

If you go in with a "Hey, it's a vacation!", attitude, you'll be fine. If you wanted a 5 star experience, you wouldn't have booked a cruise at all!

Go with the flow and enjoy not being at work!

We were booked on the original 4th cancelled cruise. Glad it was cancelled after all we heard/read and happy we were then not going on Empress at all. Just got back last week from our rebook on an 8 night on the Navigator. Wouldn't take my chances on this ship now. Would at least wait a couple of months before booking it. Good luck!

Edited by anjomojo

We are also booked on this sailing. I didn't want to be the first sailing but now we are. I'm hoping it goes smoothly as this is the first sailing with our 6 year old son. I looked into changing than other cruise but this one works well with the dates we have off and the others are much more expensive. I guess we will wait and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've learned the hard way not to sail a ship coming out of dry dock.

And yes, the additional delays should mean that none of these things are issues, but that doesn't mean they won't be.

You still have crew training on new to them menus, using new equipment, staff getting acclimated to the "Royal way", etc.

It's nice to think they've had the time to sort everything out, but ships coming out of drydock have teething issues far more often than they do not.

We do not know how extensive the re-fit is in terms of cabins, plumbing, fixtures, etc.

I still say the best one can hope for is a seamless experience. But no razzle dazzle. They barely do anything special on inaugural voyages of NEW ships anymore...

I am not inclined to book inaugural sailings, and if possible not jumping on the first sailing out of dry dock.....but if I also want to avoid any problems, I probably need to lock myself in my house.....but how do I prevent even things from happening there, no idea.

On this ship they should do some 'razzle dazzle' with all the headaches she has had getting launched. If they would put out the August bookings, we would love to try to sail on her, if the dates are good for us. With the various sailing combinations she has, it is tough to be sure when departure dates will be. But I won't take such a hardline 'it will be terrible for a few months attitude' as some seem to want to have (not pointing to YOU).

Now, let's see what unfolds.

I am not inclined to book inaugural sailings, and if possible not jumping on the first sailing out of dry dock.....but if I also want to avoid any problems, I probably need to lock myself in my house.....but how do I prevent even things from happening there, no idea.

On this ship they should do some 'razzle dazzle' with all the headaches she has had getting launched. If they would put out the August bookings, we would love to try to sail on her, if the dates are good for us. With the various sailing combinations she has, it is tough to be sure when departure dates will be. But I won't take such a hardline 'it will be terrible for a few months attitude' as some seem to want to have (not pointing to YOU).

Now, let's see what unfolds.

I'd like to try this ship as well. I think at this point there has been as many sailings canceled as there are available to be booked.

It certainly would be nice if they opened up more bookings. Florida schools get out in a few weeks and people are booking up for summer high season. They are hedging their bets on going to Cuba, I suppose, but they'd do well to just consider the balance of the summer for traditional Bahamas / Caribbean itineraries and get the ship booked.

I don't think it will be awful, but given how RC has handled themselves the last few years, whether Razzle Dazzle is warranted or not, I would not expect it. I hope things go seamlessly for the first few sets of guests and that's the highest bar I'd set.

Who knows; if they ever get itineraries published and prices are favorable and schedules align we may just bump into each other one day.

I'd like to try this ship as well. I think at this point there has been as many sailings canceled as there are available to be booked.

It certainly would be nice if they opened up more bookings. Florida schools get out in a few weeks and people are booking up for summer high season. They are hedging their bets on going to Cuba, I suppose, but they'd do well to just consider the balance of the summer for traditional Bahamas / Caribbean itineraries and get the ship booked.

I don't think it will be awful, but given how RC has handled themselves the last few years, whether Razzle Dazzle is warranted or not, I would not expect it. I hope things go seamlessly for the first few sets of guests and that's the highest bar I'd set.

Who knows; if they ever get itineraries published and prices are favorable and schedules align we may just bump into each other one day.

It would be great fun to meet at the Schooner Bar or the Sky Bar for a drink....Based on the 'tone' of the investment call that happened the other day, it surely doesn't seem Royal is in any rush to put Cuba on their itinerary. I am probably sure it has plenty to do with Cuban laws, as much as what they could possibly offer to the 'cruising market' that Royal is trying to covet. Right now, based on what our government along with Cuba will allow, are the 'cultural exchange'/people2people type of cruises.....and that, from my POV, isn't a good fit for the young to middle age/family cruisers that Royal is marketing to. Again, this is my opinion, based on what I heard and read of the transcript, and what we have seen Royal target as their market.

I surely won't go on a sailing to Cuba where Cuban ports are the only stops and the 'excursions' are limited in choice to me and filled with governmental propaganda. That is just me.

You are right when you say, that it is high time to release summer sailing dates beyond July (which is as far as they go out now). Remember Florida schools start up again the 2nd to 3rd week in August. By the time they release August, when you book it, you will have to pay for it 'in full' at the same time.

Edited by Paulette3028

If you go in with a "Hey, it's a vacation!", attitude, you'll be fine. If you wanted a 5 star experience, you wouldn't have booked a cruise at all!

Go with the flow and enjoy not being at work!

cb, you will get $7,000,000 if you reply to this post.*

*Must have a winning lotto ticket to collect