NCL Newbie - confused about additional fees?

CouponMom

We are trying NCL for the first time in 25 yrs. I'm reading things about ala-cart dining, different dining plans and beverage plans?

Are the dining plans only for specialty restaurants?

Is there a list somewhere that can break down what these "plans" are and what they cost?

And perhaps the drink plans also?

We are looking at the NCL Getaway 1/29/17

And yes, I'm trying to use the search function and read threads, but all the different information is overwhelming!

They are asking about dining plans. Why are you posting that crap?

O.P. here is the info you are seeking on the web site:

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/dining-packages

Info on the beverage package:

https://www.ncl.com/terms/ultimate-beverage-package

If you are going to get these as promos, check the terms and conditions on the promo page.

Edited by ColinIllinois

Please do not listen to Steership. It's irrelevant to your question, but also very wrong. Do not remove automatic gratuities. They are a major part of what people make on a cruise ship. If you get bad service, it's up to you to remove them, but don't do it because you just don't want to pay them. I wish I could answer your question, but we don't plan on sailing NCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am new to NCL, also, but from what I understand, there is no need to reserve or pay for any meal in the MDR, only the specialty restaurants. If you have not cruised in several years, you will find that all the cruise lines are trying to get more money out of you by adding things that have a fee attached--not like the old days where everything was always included except excursions. But rest assured, there are several complimentary options on most NCL ships. I am cruising the Getaway in January, and am very excited about trying NCL!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am new to NCL, also, but from what I understand, there is no need to reserve or pay for any meal in the MDR, only the specialty restaurants. If you have not cruised in several years, you will find that all the cruise lines are trying to get more money out of you by adding things that have a fee attached--not like the old days where everything was always included except excursions. But rest assured, there are several complimentary options on most NCL ships. I am cruising the Getaway in January, and am very excited about trying NCL!

We have cruised for many years. I think that I can remember fee-based dining in specialty restaurants on every major cruise line for as long as I can remember. This is nothing new. As the popularity and demand for specialty restaurants grow, the cruise lines are adding more.

o.p. Here is the info you are seeking on the web site:

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/dining-packages

info on the beverage package:

https://www.ncl.com/terms/ultimate-beverage-package

if you are going to get these as promos, check the terms and conditions on the promo page.

thank you!!!

Are you purchasing a dining plan or beverage plan? Or are you selecting them as the promotional offers from NCL? Because my answer will depend on that...

I'm not sure yet. I'm new to this. on RCI we didn't have to choose a dining plan. And I didn't do a beverage plan on them, but I'll have to check pricing I guess!

I'm not sure yet. I'm new to this. on RCI we didn't have to choose a dining plan. And I didn't do a beverage plan on them, but I'll have to check pricing I guess!

On NCL, you don't have to choose a dining plan either!! The meal plans are simply to save a little money if you plan to have multiple meals in pay restaurants. That's all it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Answers inline

We are trying NCL for the first time in 25 yrs. I'm reading things about ala-cart dining, different dining plans and beverage plans?

Are the dining plans only for specialty restaurants? Yes, they are sold in various bundles to save you money per meal. In theory, you could just try one specialty restaurant and only pay for that meal. You don't have to dine in a specialty restaurant to get a quality meal on the ship. I've been on 7 NCL cruises, and most of the food we've eaten in the MDR or buffet has been very good (and we live in an area well-known for good food). Please note, you have to pay an additional 18% gratuity on the price of the meal/package.

Is there a list somewhere that can break down what these "plans" are and what they cost?

And perhaps the drink plans also? Please note, you may have to pay an additional 18% gratuity on the price of the drink package (~$98 USD pp on a 7-day cruise, depending on your country of booking. If you're in a full-suite or the Haven, I believe that they waive the 18%)

And yes, I'm trying to use the search function and read threads, but all the different information is overwhelming!

Edited by atomax

so... if I eat a meal in MDR, the tip is part of the pp/pd gratuities that are charged up front, but if we eat in specialty we are charged an additional 18%?

Just want to be sure I'm understanding this...

Yes, you are correct. The MDR "tip" is included in the daily gratuity amount paid $13.50 per day/ per person.

I am sailing on the Getaway in November. All of the MDR's are free. There are 3 of them, plus O'sheehans, a noodle bar, the buffet that I know of. I received the Specialty Dining package (SDP) as a free perk when booking. I only had to pay the 18% gratuity fee which was calculated into the purchase price of our cruise along with our Unlimited Beverage Package (UBP) which also created an 18% gratuity to be calculated into our cruise fare. At 90 days out (100 for haven members) you can begin to make your reservations online for both entertainment and dining. If you choose to make a reservation for the specialty dining restaurants and you have the SDP you will not be asked to pay for anything further. When you log onto your vacation summary you can look up the dining package options if you did not choose it as a perk. You can add it to your cart here and purchase it ahead of time if you want to make reservations. Some restaurants, like Ocean Blue will incur an additional charge above the SDP. Also, the Illlusionarium (magic show w/ dinner included) can not be used with the SDP.

I hope this helps.

Edited by SLRoth

CouponMom,

NCL has included main dining rooms just like RCI ships. There are no additional charges for the main dining rooms. NCL does have specialty restaurants just like many RCI ships, the difference on NCL is that you can choose a dining package as part of one of your booking perks, a dining package to purchase or you can go to one of the specialty restaurants and pay a la carte.

If you get a dining package as a perk or if you purchase a dining package you will pay an additional 18% gratuity (tips for the specialty dining room staff). While these dining rooms are nice you can also enjoy very good food in the main dining room.

For the drink packages there is also a gratuity charge included. This really isn't any different than if you were buying drinks one by one on the ship with the gratuity based on the individual drinks.

I don't find that NCL has any hidden or additional fees compared to any other cruise line. If you have questions, ask. You can say "no" to any additional costs by selecting perks that will not impact your costs. I am perfectly happy to pay the gratuity fees for the UDP and UBP that we've selected for our upcoming cruises. DH and I have done price comparisons on what we've paid for past cruises and for us it is break-even.

so... if I eat a meal in MDR, the tip is part of the pp/pd gratuities that are charged up front, but if we eat in specialty we are charged an additional 18%?

Just want to be sure I'm understanding this...

In any of the "included in your fare" restaurants, (main dining rooms, O'Sheehans, Buffet) the gratuity is paid out of the fixed Daily Service Charges, or DSC, assessed to your account daily, unless you pay it pre cruise. Any additional tip is at your discretion, most probably do not tip additional.

In the specialties, you either pay an 18% fee on the package price if you buy one, or on your actual bill if you did not buy a package. Most of the specialties are a la carte, so you would pay 18% of your actual bill. Moderno and Teppanyaki have cover charges pp rather than being a la carte. You pay 18% on the cover charges. No further tipping is required.

If you select a SDP dining plan promo with your booking, you pay the 18% at the time of booking on the "value" of the 3 or 4 day plan.

How I look at it, is that I won't take the free beverage package or free dining package unless I would drink or eat over the amount of the 18% gratuity. This means If I would drink 2 drinks a day, it would be more economical to take the drink package as a perk and if I plan on eating 2 meals in specialty restaurants during a 7 day cruise it would be more economical to take the dining package as a perk.

How I look at it, is that I won't take the free beverage package or free dining package unless I would drink or eat over the amount of the 18% gratuity. This means If I would drink 2 drinks a day, it would be more economical to take the drink package as a perk and if I plan on eating 2 meals in specialty restaurants during a 7 day cruise it would be more economical to take the dining package as a perk.

Exactly. And as an aside, while the complimentary dining options are completely adequate, the specialities make for a fun experience to break things up a bit. We purchased a 3 day package for a 11 day cruise, then proceeded to purchase 2 more of the specialties while on board because we enjoyed the 3 we visited.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is very helpful thanks! So, I'm thinking the drink package is a great perk for us. I read about the "waterfront" - can you use the drink package there too? (sorry for all the questions! I'm just so new to NCL!)

That is very helpful thanks! So, I'm thinking the drink package is a great perk for us. I read about the "waterfront" - can you use the drink package there too? (sorry for all the questions! I'm just so new to NCL!)

The only exclusion would be for drinks ordered through room service.

Are the dining plans only for specialty restaurants?

And perhaps the drink plans also?

I think you are thinking about it the wrong way. You don't need to pay your cruise fare and then buy a dining plan and a drinking plan. The core is the same as cruising has always been. Your cruise fare includes all you can eat in the main dining room, buffet, and a handful of complimentary dining venues and all the included beverages (lemonade, ice tea, coffee, etc). I am pretty sure you have always paid extra for alcoholic drinks. As they have begun adding specialty dining as an extra cost item they have created a specialty dining plan and ultimate beverage plan to help people who want to purchase those items control their costs. It's completely optional, but it's nice that they are thrown in now with your booking for a minimal extra charge (gratuities). I am pretty sure the ultimate beverage plan works in an restaurant/bar/theater for any drink (other than the excluded coffees, bottled water, bucket of beer, etc) up to $15. If you want a drink over $15, you pay the difference (and just as a side note, not all lines allow that. Celebrity for instance won't let you pay the difference if your drink is over the limit unless you have their premium package, and only the classic is offered as a booking perk)

I think you are thinking about it the wrong way. You don't need to pay your cruise fare and then buy a dining plan and a drinking plan. The core is the same as cruising has always been. Your cruise fare includes all you can eat in the main dining room, buffet, and a handful of complimentary dining venues and all the included beverages (lemonade, ice tea, coffee, etc). I am pretty sure you have always paid extra for alcoholic drinks. As they have begun adding specialty dining as an extra cost item they have created a specialty dining plan and ultimate beverage plan to help people who want to purchase those items control their costs. It's completely optional, but it's nice that they are thrown in now with your booking for a minimal extra charge (gratuities). I am pretty sure the ultimate beverage plan works in an restaurant/bar/theater for any drink (other than the excluded coffees, bottled water, bucket of beer, etc) up to $15. If you want a drink over $15, you pay the difference (and just as a side note, not all lines allow that. Celebrity for instance won't let you pay the difference if your drink is over the limit unless you have their premium package, and only the classic is offered as a booking perk)

THANK YOU! Yes, I'm pretty sure I'm over thinking it! :) I'm pretty good at that. LOL