are shorts appropriate for Istanbul and greek isles cruise?

tropical dreams

Advice is worth what you pay for it.

You can take the advice of people who have been there or travel there frequently.

Or you can take advice from someone who believes that their advice represents 'savvy' travellers. Not at all certain what savvy encompasses or if it is subject to personal preferences/opinions.

Entirely the OP's choice.

So many will tell you "not to dress like a tourist"...but guess what? You ARE a tourist...only the tourists go to the tourist spots! 90% of the other people in the major sightseeing areas are tourists, just like you! Wear what makes YOU comfortable, within reason, of course!!!!

Agree. It doesn't matter if wearing long pants or shorts...

We used public toilets in Istanbul and they were just the normal ones we are used to. Take coins though because some need coins for entry. The ones near the cafe in the Topkapi Palace are free though.

I did meet some of the dreaded squattie potties in Istanbul, although I saw some of the other kind too.. I've also come across them in Verona, rural France and an Autobahn service area in Germany. I seem to have a knack for finding them! If you have a comfortable skirt that you like, it's worth considering.

You have two choices. You can be a rude tourist and do what you want and wear shorts, or you can be a savvy traveler and dress appropriately. It's your choice.

That's exactly right! It always amazes me how egocentric some Americans are thinking it is OK to dress in shorts in an area where that is NOT the norm. This does nothing but foster resentment against tourists. What is so wrong about dressing appropriately for the area you are visiting? It is a simple sign of respect to dress appropriately and not just respect for the people whose country you are visiting, but self-respect.

Shorts are just not appropriate in mosques or churches.

The question was asked, some of us chose to answer but there is no reason to be rude to those who disagree with your opinion.

Sometimes the defensive posture of those who probably suspect they may not be showing the most respect comes out in a snarky post here. If someone chose to ask about what is appropriate dress, they obviously have an interest in being courteous to his/her hosts...... the people of the city/country they are visiting.

Manners are not just at a dinner table, they are in houses of worship, on the street, in a taxi, and in all parts of our lives. Dressing in accordance with the local norm is a nice courtesy. It is not mandatory. :rolleyes:

As a general rule of thumb, I don't wear shorts in a city. I'm comfortable with capris/cropped trousers though.

So for me, Istanbul = no shorts. Greek islands = shorts are fine (plenty of holidaymakers will be wearing them, too.)

I think that shorts, capris and crops are waaaaaaay too hot for touring in Greece because they touch your body. As a woman I feel lucky I can wear a loose and lightweight sundress or resort wear that is modest for touring in high heat, and not have fabric clinging to my body.

I've travelled to Turkey and never had a problem with shorts and tee shirts. Obviously in mosques you cover up but they also supply coverups if you don't come dressed appropriately.

There are some towns throughout Turkey who are more conservative than others and you should take each town into consideration but on the whole shorts are not a problem.

I agree shorts are fine in Greek Islands..... perhaps not so much so in Athens?

Where were you in Athens? We paid our entrance fees for the Acropolis, and nobody looked at us funny because we were wearing shorts. We paid our money at the Acropolis Museum (don't miss this by the way) and nobody looked at us funny. We then shopped, ate, and drank our way around the Plaka, and nobody looked at us funny.

Mostly everybody looked happy to see us, but I think this is the way the Greek people are. We could all be more like that.

We arrived in Athens this morning (Monday) at 8am. Pilot said it the temperature was 30 when we landed. Must have been 35 by 1pm when we came back to the hotel.

Dropped our bags at the hotel, put on shorts, and walked for four hours. We saw many,many people in shorts. No doubt a good number were tourists.

You will definitely not be out of place wearing shorts in Athens. And the same will hold true for the islands..here we come.

Edited by iancal

Where were you in Athens? We paid our entrance fees for the Acropolis, and nobody looked at us funny because we were wearing shorts. We paid our money at the Acropolis Museum (don't miss this by the way) and nobody looked at us funny. We then shopped, ate, and drank our way around the Plaka, and nobody looked at us funny.

Mostly everybody looked happy to see us, but I think this is the way the Greek people are. We could all be more like that.

All the typical tourist areas and some.

Acropolis, Acropolis Museum (fabulous), Parthenon, Plaka, lovely hotel and their terrific breakfast restaurant :), shopping, churches, Parliament Building, Changing of the Guard, Syntagma Square, ........

Edited by sail7seas

Wearing shorts won't necessarily define you as a tourist - the fact that on your chest, you're wearing a day-glo orange sticker with the number 5 on it, and are following a person carrying a flag just might point you out to locals.

If you dress modestly (no short shorts and midriff-baring tops), you will be fine.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Shorts are OK, short shorts are not. But reading these posts reminds me of an incident in Oslo, Norway (a long way from Istanbul). DW and I stopped in a local McDonalds (always useful for rest rooms) and while I was waiting for DW I got into a conversation with a few folks who were finishing their food. I asked them if they were enjoying their cruise...and they were shocked. One quickly asked me, "how do you know we are on a cruise?" I replied, "wearing your seapass card on a lanyard" is a real giveaway :).

Hank

The first rule is be comfortable :). Do not get hung-up in not looking like a tourist because you are a tourist, everyone will know it, and so what.

Bam! Nothing more needs to be said.

Funny....Here in Key West, I see tourists from all over the World, and they are almost always wearing their home attire...like Dutch men wearing capris or Brazilians adorned in their green and yellow futbol gear, or Asian girls dressed in all kinds of crazy stuff. Never once did I ever think they were being rude for being who they are, and I've certainly never resented them for not dressing like a KW local. It's the people who attempt to fit in and dress like the locals who always look like the biggest idiots. So, I remember that when I travel abroad. I research so as not to offend, but I also know how much they laugh at tourists who act like know-it-alls.

Edited by Aquahound

Lots of foreign tourists and lots of Greeks were wearing shorts at the Acropolis and Plaka today. Youngr teenage Greek girls were wearing short shorts.

Asked a local about this. He said younger Greeks, under 50,have no issue with shorts in the very warm weather like today-very common. Older, matronly types ( his words) wear dresses. When in Athens do what the Athenians do.

Blowing town tomorrow for a week touring the Pelopponese so will see what they are wearing.

Edited by iancal

Bam! Nothing more needs to be said.

Funny....Here in Key West, I see tourists from all over the World, and they are almost always wearing their home attire...like Dutch men wearing capris or Brazilians adorned in their green and yellow futbol gear, or Asian girls dressed in all kinds of crazy stuff. Never once did I ever think they were being rude for being who they are, and I've certainly never resented them for not dressing like a KW local. It's the people who attempt to fit in and dress like the locals who always look like the biggest idiots. So, I remember that when I travel abroad. I research so as not to offend, but I also know how much they laugh at tourists who act like know-it-alls.

We happen to love Key West (are coming back in a few months) but dressing like some of the locals is kind of interesting as the last time we were in Key West we saw quite a few folks wearing nothing (not a stitch) other then some body paint :). And trust me....if we went around nude the natives would be screaming!

Hank

I found this thread very useful as I am leaving tomorrow for a land tour of Istanbul and western Turkey. I have taken the above into consideration and I have packed a mix of maxi dress, very lightweight pants, crops, and 2 pairs of shorts. I have no tops that leave my shoulders bare. I also have a few wraps packed to use to cover my head or wrap around my waist if need be. I am joining a tour group so I figure that the group leader will be able to give some guidance as to what is appropriate attire for each day.

For anyone who is aware, it is very hot in Turkey right now and there doesn't seem to be any let up in temperatures while I am there. I will post on my return what I encounter.

Kelly

Enjoy your trip.

Turkey and Greece are favourites of ours. Especially good for independent travel.

It was warm yesterday, 35 at 11am but there was a very nice breeze. We are now on Greek time. Light blast, gyro for lunch at 2ish and dinner at 9/10pm.