Any noisy balcony cabins to avoid on QE?

LewiLewi

We are light sleepers and want to make sure that we don't wind up in a cabin that is noisy. We are wondering if all of the deck 8 cabins will be noisy because of being under the Lido deck or the gym. Are there other places that we should avoid.

Thanks in advance.

We had one of the Britannia Club balconies on Deck 8, I can't remember the number but it was almost opposite the laundry. It was the noisiest cabin we have ever been in. I wouldn't recommend it for light sleepers or those who like a lie-in.

We've stayed in and around both stairway A and pretty far back aft - just below the outside area on deck 9. I seem to remember there was a bit of early chair scraping first thing in the morning (sorry, can't remember the precise time) but it only lasted briefly. I don't think we've ever really noticed a lot of noise at the bow end and I am light sleeper too. We were in 8025 last time and it was really quiet - being so far forward there seemed to be fewer people walking past. Of course, you do notice the motion of the ship more at the bow....

The general rule is to choose a cabin where there is a cabin above you and below you. That makes decks 5, 6 & 7 best in this respect.

You may also want to choose a midships cabin to reduce the effects of motion.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Queen Elizabeth cruise ship passengers beware of noisy cabins on Deck 8.

My wife and I have just spent 18 nights on QE cruising from Sydney Australia. We had a balcony cabin on Deck 8. The cabin was badly affected by a banging pipe sound. I complained to the purser supervisor and was advised the noise was a steam pipe that supplied steam to the dishwashers on the Lido Deck located above Deck 8 but that the noise only occurred between the hours of 7am and 11pm and from 11pm until 7am the steam was turned off so that the banging sound did not occur during those hours.

Thus from exactly 7am until 11pm every day, evening and night of our cruise my wife and I could hear a continual bang bang - bang bang something like a hammer whacking a metal pipe. It was extremely intrusive and totally unacceptable on a ship touted to be of excellent quality.

We had paid full price for our cabin having booked it about 12 months before the cruise. What a disappointment for us to have to put up with such a noise.

The purser offered to downgrade us to a cabin on Deck 5 at the very stern of the ship however the downgrade put us off and in any event when I went to inspect that cabin it also had something rattling away in the passageway outside the cabin door.

It simply was not worthwhile packing up all our belongings and moving to a cabin that was also noise affected and suffering a deal of stern pitching.

QE did not offer to move us to at least a cabin of the category that we had paid for or better. Shame on QE. Shame on Cunard for allowing their ship to be so noise affected.

Sorry to hear of your bad cabin, but how do you expect Cunard to be able to magically create an empty cabin at the correct grade or better? Cruise lines seek to avoid any empty cabins, and, unlike hotels, people don’t leave on a daily basis.

Stuart.

Edited by Wiltonian

5 hours ago, TerenceSmith said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic, sorry to hear about your noisy cabin. It would help if you let us know the cabin number.

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting this thread as looking at booking on QA in Princess and notice that the P2s are on deck 8 below the buffet. Those of you that have experienced a cabin below a buffet (obviously not on QA!) is there much noise from above?

9 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

You would be better off starting a new thread, you're likely to get answers about Queen Elizabeth!

I don’t mind that, just wanted to know what it’s like below a buffet restaurant. I’m guessing it’s worse below the pool deck. Where were you for you “worst room”?

• 2 weeks later...

Passenger cabins above, below, and across the corridor, and no connecting cabins is the only way to go. I study the deck plans carefully before I book to ensure that She Who Must Be Obeyed is not disturbed.  Makes for a more pleasant cruise for both of us.😁

4 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Passenger cabins above, below, and across the corridor, and no connecting cabins is the only way to go. I study the deck plans carefully before I book to ensure that She Who Must Be Obeyed is not disturbed.  Makes for a more pleasant cruise for both of us.😁

Add to the list,

Above the Queens Room and Theatre, as there can be music penetration.

10 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Do you then tell Cunard you don't want to be upgraded?

We initially booked a standard inside, were moved to deluxe inside, and last time I checked we are in obstructed OV.  Hopefully they won't take any of the upgrades back.

Point is we didn't get to choose any of the upgraded cabins.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 9:49 PM, TerenceSmith said:

My wife and I have just spent 18 nights on QE cruising from Sydney Australia. We had a balcony cabin on Deck 8. The cabin was badly affected by a banging pipe sound. I complained to the purser supervisor and was advised the noise was a steam pipe that supplied steam to the dishwashers on the Lido Deck located above Deck 8 but that the noise only occurred between the hours of 7am and 11pm and from 11pm until 7am the steam was turned off so that the banging sound did not occur during those hours.

Thus from exactly 7am until 11pm every day, evening and night of our cruise my wife and I could hear a continual bang bang - bang bang something like a hammer whacking a metal pipe. It was extremely intrusive and totally unacceptable on a ship touted to be of excellent quality.

We had paid full price for our cabin having booked it about 12 months before the cruise. What a disappointment for us to have to put up with such a noise.

The purser offered to downgrade us to a cabin on Deck 5 at the very stern of the ship however the downgrade put us off and in any event when I went to inspect that cabin it also had something rattling away in the passageway outside the cabin door.

It simply was not worthwhile packing up all our belongings and moving to a cabin that was also noise affected and suffering a deal of stern pitching.

QE did not offer to move us to at least a cabin of the category that we had paid for or better. Shame on QE. Shame on Cunard for allowing their ship to be so noise affected.

I understand your point that they should not allow such a noisy cabin on the ship in the first place.

On 4/28/2019 at 11:49 AM, TerenceSmith said:

Which cabin number was it, please? And sorry for your spoiled trip.

13 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

Do you then tell Cunard you don't want to be upgraded?

We initially booked a standard inside, were moved to deluxe inside, and last time I checked we are in obstructed OV.  Hopefully they won't take any of the upgrades back.

Point is we didn't get to choose any of the upgraded cabins.

Yes, always on any cruise line.  Any cruise line's idea of an upgrade is an upgrade in category and not location.  You may wind up right below the pool deck or above a night club, for example.  And if you think about it, there's probably a good reason that "upgrade" cabin is unsold.  If the cruise line can "upgrade" you into a less desirable location, your old cabin is available for sale.

I've never been disappointed with cabins above, below, and across the corridor.