Flying to your cruise

Mary49

We will fly in the day of if cruising from Florida, but only if we fly out first thing, and there are plenty of other flights available that will get us there on-time.

We prefer to fly out the day before (or evening before if I have to work). Even though we get insurance, it's better to be safe than sorry, plus it's nice to get a head start on our vacation.

I live on LI & always fly from JFK or LGA. I'm coming up on my 8th cruise. I will be flying to NOLA the day before for this one. I've also flown the day before for my last 2 cruises & I sailed from NY once. That leaves 4 cruises that I flew day of. It was stressful, but I made it every time. The main reason I flew in the day before the past 2 & will do so upcoming is because these 3 are with my kids & I need to rush as little as possible when they are involved. Plus, I've never been to NOLA so I'm going to tour for the day.

I know weather isn't looking great this weekend, but you're odds are not too awful. 1 of my 4, we had a delay because of a light bulb. Still made it with hours upon hours to spare. Try not to stress. Flying is a crap shoot. In March, I left my LI home, drove to JFK, went through security, & was happily having lunch awaiting departure to Cleveland when suddenly all flights were grounded due to weather. I ended up leaving the airport in a rental car to embark on an 8 hour drive. But those 4 cruises day of I made it no problems. Takeaways? Fly a day early if you can. If you can't? Have a back up if possible. But from experience, you're definitely not dammed to hell coming in day of.

Best of luck!

We always fly in a least one day early. On several occasions, we found that it was actually cheaper to fly in two or three days earlier and the cost of the cheaper flights made up for the cost of the hotel for the extra days.

We have done both. The on time percentages for our routes is very high so there is only a small chance of missing our cruises. But if you stress about this stuff or have the time to be away from work, fly in a day early when you can.

I am wishing you good luck! The rain isn't supposed to start till around 8 a.m., so hopefully you will be boarded and ready to roll before it gets too heavy. They are doing runway construction at JFK, so you might have a delay in taking off. Let us know how you did!

Why anyone would take a 2 1/2 to 3 hour flight the morning of a cruise puts too much stress on the whole day.

Most likely you are up at 4 -4:30 a.m. to get ready , drive to airport , wait an hour or so, HOPE there are no delays.

Spend another 1-1 1/2 hours getting off plane waiting for luggage, then getting to port.

You have put in a full day, tired of the travel ( stressed) and THEN need to shift gears to VACATION mode.

Not fun!

Why anyone would take a 2 1/2 to 3 hour flight the morning of a cruise puts too much stress on the whole day.

Most likely you are up at 4 -4:30 a.m. to get ready , drive to airport , wait an hour or so, HOPE there are no delays.

Spend another 1-1 1/2 hours getting off plane waiting for luggage, then getting to port.

You have put in a full day, tired of the travel ( stressed) and THEN need to shift gears to VACATION mode.

Not fun!

This is exactly why we fly in a day early. DH needs a day to unwind from his job.

I do hope it works out for you, and I do hope you've learned your lesson and won't do it again, LOL!! :)

We are in Michigan, and generally cruise in January so there is no way we would fly in the day of the cruise. We usually fly in TWO days early, just to have that extra cushion. But we prefer driving now, rather than flying. But even in the summer we wouldn't fly in the day of the cruise, you just never know what kind of problems could crop up to cause you to miss the ship. Mechanical issues of the plane could be a big problem and cause you to be late. Or having a medical emergency on board and having to land at a different airport, so many things. If I were you I would not fly in the day of your cruise.

So folks say why would you not fly in a day early? Well to save money on the hotel, food, pet boarding, maybe work commitments.

If the flights are long, I like to come in two or three days early. One day is more stressful to me than day of. You have the airport stress and possible flight issues on the day you fly plus you have to get to a hotel. Transportation to the hotel has to be arranged. Seems like there are always lines for the transportation and hotel check-ins. Luggage to be taken care of at each step. Seems for that one night you spend more than two days of cruising on food (3 more meals) and lodging. Then you have to meet the check out time for the hotel, transportation again to ship. Adding one day just adds one day of stress to me. Can't really relax and do any sightseeing in one day. Extra days give you more options.

For short flights, one day with travel insurance is ok with me. Something might happen but it has happened to people who fly one day early too. Computers go down for more than a day, the Iceland volcano caused delays for many days, snow storms....

So there is not just one perfect thing to do.

Bon Voyage to the OP.

For our first cruise listened to some so called knowledgeable people. Let Carnival book our flights. Result flew the day of the cruise. Were the last two people on the ship. Got to drop our carryons and grab our life jackets for the safety drill. Now always fly in at least the day before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So folks say why would you not fly in a day early? Well to save money on the hotel, food, pet boarding, maybe work commitments.

If the flights are long, I like to come in two or three days early. One day is more stressful to me than day of. You have the airport stress and possible flight issues on the day you fly plus you have to get to a hotel. Transportation to the hotel has to be arranged. Seems like there are always lines for the transportation and hotel check-ins. Luggage to be taken care of at each step. Seems for that one night you spend more than two days of cruising on food (3 more meals) and lodging. Then you have to meet the check out time for the hotel, transportation again to ship. Adding one day just adds one day of stress to me. Can't really relax and do any sightseeing in one day. Extra days give you more options.

For short flights, one day with travel insurance is ok with me. Something might happen but it has happened to people who fly one day early too. Computers go down for more than a day, the Iceland volcano caused delays for many days, snow storms....

So there is not just one perfect thing to do.

Bon Voyage to the OP.

Just to give a different perspective that hasn't been mentioned...

All the stress points you mention in your 2nd paragraph are avoided if you fly in the morning of the cruise. (IF YOU GET THERE!!! I know, I know.) But if all goes according to plan (I know, I know), you land at the airport, collect your luggage (I know, I know) and grab a taxi to the terminal. Easy peasy, right?

I know, I know... We've done this for our last 5-6 cruises, taking an early morning flight out of Atlanta. We can usually get there well before 10am. But at this point we're probably playing the odds.

:cool:

I know, I know... We've done this for our last 5-6 cruises, taking an early morning flight out of Atlanta. We can usually get there well before 10am. But at this point we're probably playing the odds.

:cool:

The national average is that 2-3% of flights are cancelled outright and another 7-8% are delayed between 2 and 4 hours. So the odds of missing your cruise by flying in on the same day is less than 10% overall. Sometimes it will be higher and sometimes lower. If you can live with those odds, fly in the same day. If not, decide how much extra you are prepared to pay to 'insure' that you don't miss the cruise. For example if it will cost you an extra $200 pp to fly in the day before it would not make economic sense to pay this amount for a $400 pp cruise. This is a very high cost vs. the odds. It might make economic sense for a $4000 pp cruise. Or it might make sense for the $200 pp cruise if it will cost you an additional $2K or $3K to stay in a resort to replace the cruise.

Edited by DirtyDawg

We've traditionally flown Friday evening for a Saturday cruise. As others have said, getting to the cruise location (say Florida) is enough work for one day. Last month we caught a 5:30p flight landing at MCO around 8p. Shuttle to the local hotel and then out for a bite to eat. It allows us to take a more leisurely approach on Saturday morning.

And we'd be prepared to leave earlier if a serious weather situation was brewing. We've never experienced that for a cruise but have had to beat a Chicago blizzard out of town before. As our friend from Denver said earlier, just get me wheels up brother!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, just wanted to let everybody know that I made it safe and sound for my cruise in New Orleans. I couldn't have asked for a better flight. Left on time with no delays and arrived around 11:00. Carnival Transfer was waiting for me at the luggage claim. Going home later flight around 6:30 but had a hour delay due to Air Traffic at JFK. Got in around 11:30pm and in my room around 12:30 as I am a Platinum Member. All in all it was a great flight and great cruise. I would even fly Delta again even though I love Jet Blue. :D

I wouldn't sweat it too much if you have a direct non-stop flight to where you are going. If you have a connection that you have to make day-of and if you miss it, you are going to miss the cruise, going a day early probably makes more sense. In my case, I almost always fly day-of to cruises that leave from the east coast and that I can get to easily with no plane change and as long as I have a few backup options of something happens to the flight I intend to take to the port, I am good. Going west, I almost always fly in the day before or more, except for the one time I met my friend in Los Angeles for a ridiculously cheap cruise day-of a few years ago and it wouldn't have devastated me if I would have somehow missed it. Regardless, it was an early morning direct flight anyway so no worrying about connections or intermediate stops where all kinds of things can go wrong. I have had a few close calls but I have never missed a cruise when I have flown in day-of because of issues with the flights down, knock on wood, lol. You should be fine if taking an early flight out anyway, because those planes are almost always sitting RON the night before and unless you have extreme issues like maintenance or severe weather at the origin or destination, a little weather (snow and ice not included lol) is not going to keep you from getting out or into your destination city. You will be fine. Happy cruising.

We have flown in twice before on embarkation day. The first time went perfectly fine. We flew from Knoxville to Miami with a connecting flight in Charlotte. Cruise transfers went great, all luggage retrieved, and no flight delays.

The second time, was on our May 14 cruise on the Vista. We flew from Asheville to Fort Lauderdale (direct flight) with prepaid cruise transfers. The whole flight was going great, until we went to baggage claim and found out that the airline (Allegiant) has lost my bag. LUCKILY, I had my carry-on with some stuff, but my checked bag was in NJ with all my dresses and toiletries and etc.

Would I fly in the day of again? Sure, it is easy for those of us who work to save vacation time.

But....We will drive any chance we can. Miami was just too far for us to drive this year.

We stopped flying in the day of several years ago. The weather was okay, but there were some mechanical issues with the plane. Long story short, by the time we made it to Miami, it was about an hour after the ship had sailed out of port. A representative of the cruise line (RCCL) made arrangements for us to take a plane to Nassau (the first port) to catch up with the ship. You only have to miss sail away once to become a firm believer in flying in the day before. clear.png?emoji-wink-1685

ouch! Thanks for the tip. Thought we'd try flying in day of but after reading this not going to chance it.

I try to fly in the day before when leaving from a port not within driving distance. I have a cruise booked for after Thanksgiving weekend, and decided to fly in the morning of the cruise. My flight leaves at 7:00am for an 8:15am arrival from MCO to MIA, if worst comes to worst with the flight or weather, I'll still be able to drive and make it in time. I hope everything works out for you, and enjoy your cruise!!

I am glad to there there weren't any problems but anything can happen. Yesterday all British Airways flights were grounded due to a computer issue. Another reason I like to fly in early.

Generally I want to ensure my flight is scheduled to leave before I hit the I don't have enough time to drive. To Florida for me that is a 24 hour minimum.

If it makes you uncomfortable to fly in the day of a cruise, next time book earlier. It doesn't bother me, and I have done it maybe 30 times or so without a problem.

From NY, I can fly non stop direct with carry on luggage to MIA, FLL, or MSY, I take the earliest flight out that morning, winter or summer, doesn't matter.

I've been at the airport with a confirmed seat and watched people yelling to get on a flight because theirs was cancelled the day before and they must get to their cruise today. It's all a crap shoot when bad weather, equipment failure, or staff shortages occur

I have morning flights for my next 3 cruises beginning in MIA, MSY, and SJU and I won't lose any sleep about it. We're all different, so do what's best for you. My experience won't help you and your experience won't change mine.

That's the luxury of living near major hubs. Many of us have one airport and two airlines as options.

I do hope it works out for you, and I do hope you've learned your lesson and won't do it again, LOL!! :)

We are in Michigan, and generally cruise in January so there is no way we would fly in the day of the cruise. We usually fly in TWO days early, just to have that extra cushion. But we prefer driving now, rather than flying. But even in the summer we wouldn't fly in the day of the cruise, you just never know what kind of problems could crop up to cause you to miss the ship. Mechanical issues of the plane could be a big problem and cause you to be late. Or having a medical emergency on board and having to land at a different airport, so many things. If I were you I would not fly in the day of your cruise.

Living in Michigan, I also fly in 2-3 days early in the winter months. I think some folks take for granted they have multiple airports, airlines, and flights options. One return flight that was cancelled, as they were rebooking me that asked "was there any other airports I could fly in to?" Sure, but I would be hundreds of miles from my car and no way to get to it. The East Coast folks were flying back to various airports and catching public transportation.