Live from Vantage River Navigator--Rhine & Moselle

FuelScience

We, along with two other couples traveling together, embarked the River Navigator today in Amsterdam. We boarded around 12:30, turned in our passports at the reception desk (will be returned tomorrow), and were immediately taken to our rooms. Vantage had a light lunch for early arrivals.

Our cabin (422) so far seems roomy and comfortable and is comparable to cabins on the three Viking cruises we've done previously. We're anxious to see how Vantage stacks up against our Viking experiences. So far so good.

We arrived in Amsterdam early on Wednesday and enjoyed two great nights at misc eatdrinksleep, a six-room boutique hotel just south of Nieuwmarkt Square. I've written a description of our stay there on the Amsterdam Hotel Advice thread on the River Cruise Ports board.

I'll try to post fairly regularly during the cruise. Excited to finally be on board!!

FuelScience

Yes thanks for the live post from Vantage. Bev and I are getting excited about our cruise on the Splendor Aug 31st from Budapest to Bonn.

We are concerned about the river levels.

I know you will enjoy that cruise. Below is the link to our trip story with Vantage.

http://stevekathytravels.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/europe2010.pdf

I would also recommend a book called "Castles along the Rhine and Main"

We, along with two other couples traveling together, embarked the River Navigator today in Amsterdam. We boarded around 12:30, turned in our passports at the reception desk (will be returned tomorrow), and were immediately taken to our rooms. Vantage had a light lunch for early arrivals.

Our cabin (422) so far seems roomy and comfortable and is comparable to cabins on the three Viking cruises we've done previously. We're anxious to see how Vantage stacks up against our Viking experiences. So far so good.

We arrived in Amsterdam early on Wednesday and enjoyed two great nights at misc eatdrinksleep, a six-room boutique hotel just south of Nieuwmarkt Square. I've written a description of our stay there on the Amsterdam Hotel Advice thread on the River Cruise Ports board.

I'll try to post fairly regularly during the cruise. Excited to finally be on board!!

FuelScience

Just got my documents Wednesday. Can't wait...:D

Just finishing up day two of Vantage’s Rhine/Moselle cruise. This morning we left the boat around 8:45 for a short (~35-40 minutes) bus tour of the city. The tour ended at the Rijksmuseum, where each group was divided into two smaller groups. We had about two hours in the museum, an hour with our guide and an hour on our own. When that tour was over, we walked outside and crossed the street and boarded canal boats for a typical Amsterdam canal tour. The tour ended up being somewhat non-typical due to the gay pride week festivities. The canal pride parade wasn’t scheduled to begin until 2:00 p.m., but some of the canals were already clogged with boats of onlookers, and we met many "festive" boats. Overall, the Vantage Amsterdam tour was much better than the Viking tour we did on the Tulips and Windmills cruise last year, which consisted of a bus tour followed by a walking tour.

We arrived back at the ship a little late for a 1:00 lunch, and the ship pulled away from the dock around 1:45 p.m. We had a pleasant trip down the canal and entered the Rhine sometime during dinner.

I’ll mention a couple of interesting things that I’ve noticed. First, we were told yesterday that anyone who wanted an iPad for use on the cruise could pick on up at the registration desk. A deposit was required, but it would be returned at the end of the cruise. Apparently no charger is included. People just bring it back and swap for another when the battery is low.

On the first page of the menu, Vantage lists something like 14 different foodstuffs that might be associated with an allergy. When you open the menu, each item has several numbers listed beside it so that people with food allergies can immediately see if any dish has a potential allergen. Cruisers were also encouraged to discuss any allergies with the restaurant staff.

Overall it’s been a very nice day. We’re scheduled to arrive in Cologne around lunchtime tomorrow. If you have any questions about the cruise so far, feel free to ask.

FuelScience

FuelScience

We were in cabin 414. Is Sammy your Room Steward? If so, tell him "Hi, from us (Miss Linda & Mr. Mike)".

We were quite surprised at the amount of storage in the room.

I’ll mention a couple of interesting things that I’ve noticed. First, we were told yesterday that anyone who wanted an iPad for use on the cruise could pick on up at the registration desk. A deposit was required, but it would be returned at the end of the cruise. Apparently no charger is included. People just bring it back and swap for another when the battery is low.

On the first page of the menu, Vantage lists something like 14 different foodstuffs that might be associated with an allergy. When you open the menu, each item has several numbers listed beside it so that people with food allergies can immediately see if any dish has a potential allergen. Cruisers were also encouraged to discuss any allergies with the restaurant staff. FuelScience

These are both very interesting and I've never experienced either of them. I can't wait to play with the IPad!!! Do they have enough for everyone or is it first come first served?

I love the new menu layout. I guess people have been asking and this makes it much easier to please everyone without making a big deal over allergens.

We were in cabin 414. Is Sammy your Room Steward? If so, tell him "Hi, from us (Miss Linda & Mr. Mike)".

Schmoo you won't believe this but we're in 414 when we do this trip leaving US on 8/27!!!! In every one of my prior European river cruises with Vantage we've been in room 412. This time it wasn't available and they gave us 414. I can't believe we were both in the same room. If you left anything behind, let me know and I'll bring it home with me!!! :D (unless of course it's chocolate)

These are both very interesting and I've never experienced either of them. I can't wait to play with the IPad!!! Do they have enough for everyone or is it first come first served?

I love the new menu layout. I guess people have been asking and this makes it much easier to please everyone without making a big deal over allergens.

Schmoo you won't believe this but we're in 414 when we do this trip leaving US on 8/27!!!! In every one of my prior European river cruises with Vantage we've been in room 412. This time it wasn't available and they gave us 414. I can't believe we were both in the same room. If you left anything behind, let me know and I'll bring it home with me!!! :D (unless of course it's chocolate)

No problem there, all our "leftover" chocolate is currently residing in my fridge to be enjoyed as a remembrance of the trip. ;)

In every one of my prior European river cruises with Vantage we've been in room 412.

HK, since you're from Long Island: do you remember Ted Brown on WNEW, and his frequently played clip "412! What's a 412???"

HK, since you're from Long Island: do you remember Ted Brown on WNEW, and his frequently played clip "412! What's a 412???"

I am, and I do remember Ted Brown on WNEW....LIRR train? Asked DH....it was a crime....crime was over-acting!! (He's older than I)

Edited by Hydrokitty

I am, and I do remember Ted Brown on WNEW....LIRR train? Asked DH....it was a crime....crime was over-acting!! (He's older than I)

Yes! It's a clip from Stan Freberg's satire of Dragnet. The actual show introduced police terminology to the civilian audience ("10-4" etc.). Sgt. Joe Friday (Jack Webb) was famously laconic ("Just the facts, ma'am"*) and his sidekick was more animated. In the Freberg version the sidekick gets more and more manic until Friday threatens to run him in on a "412." Hence the screaming outburst: "412! What's a 412???" And the deadpan answer, "overacting."

*Wikipedia claims that "Friday never actually said this in an episode, but it was featured in Stan Freberg's works parodying Dragnet." Like "Play it again Sam" it has become the most famous line from the show, even if it never actually happened. :)

We were quite surprised at the amount of storage in the room.

Shmoo,

No, our steward is Dhoni, but I'll keep an eye out for Sammy and pass on your greetings if I get the chance.

FuelScience

Kitty,

I think that it's first come-first-served. One of our friends has serious shellfish allergies, and it's great for her to be able to take a quick look at the numbers and see if anything is dangerous.

It's Sunday morning here, and we're cruising up the Rhine headed for a 1:30 arrival in Cologne. I'll try to post a summary at the end of the day.

FuelScience ____________

This morning Vantage had a late breakfast (7:30-9:00). After breakfast we sat on top of the ship and watched Germany go by. We went by Dusseldorf during breakfast and arrived in Cologne as we were finishing lunch around 1:00 p.m. We docked just north of the Chocolate Museum—in front of a Viking longship (three docked in Cologne today).

The Vantage walking tour started around 2:15. We made our way through the old city to the cathedral plaza (Domplatz) where we were left to look around on our own. Since it was Sunday, not much was open. We took a walk through the cathedral and then went to the Café Reichard, a very nice Konditerei just west of the cathedral plaza, for cake and coffee. We decided that it was a little too late for us to be to justify visiting the Roman museum by the cathedral or the chocolate museum near the boat, so we took a leisurely walk down a shopping street back to the boat and returned to the Navigator at around 5:30 p.m. where we relaxed on the top deck with a drink.

After dinner, a string trio (La Strada—guitar and two violins) performed from 9:00 to 9:45. The ship left Cologne at 10:30, so those who wanted to spend an evening on the town had that opportunity.

There is one nice thing that we haven’t noticed on our previous three river cruises. The charger for the Navigator’s QuietVox receivers has two USB ports that can be used to charge cell phones or other small electronics! The bad news is that the QuietVox receivers still use their proprietary, not-so-comfortable headsets so that you can’t just use your own ear buds. Vantage may not have an option for changing this.

Next up is Cochem after a morning of cruising on the Moselle!

FuelScience

Hello FuelScience,

as you sailed during the night I could not give the River Navigator and you a wave as I had planned. Have a great time on the Moselle. It is going to be a nice warm to hot day. Cochem is a lovely town, easy to look round in an afternoon. Are you going to Reichsburg castle?

Pity you did sort of miss the opportunity to go round the Roman museum at a leisurely pace. The Cafè Reichard is such a nice place. Glad you enjoyed it.

Trier is stunning, you will be in for a treat as far as history is concerned.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

notamermaid

Hello FuelScience,

as you sailed during the night I could not give the River Navigator and you a wave as I had planned. Have a great time on the Moselle. It is going to be a nice warm to hot day. Cochem is a lovely town, easy to look round in an afternoon. Are you going to Reichsburg castle?

Pity you did sort of miss the opportunity to go round the Roman museum at a leisurely pace. The Cafè Reichard is such a nice place. Glad you enjoyed it.

Trier is stunning, you will be in for a treat as far as history is concerned.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

notamermaid

Vielen Dank Mermaid!

I think that we passed the Deutsche Eck around 7:00 a.m. I'm looking forward to the museum in Trier. We were there before on a Sunday and didn't get to visit the museum. Maybe I'll get enough Roman history there to make up for missing the Museum in Cologne!

Thanks again for all your posts on river conditions. I'll let you know when we will be passing on our way back to the Rhine!!

FuelScience

FuelScience

We spent a very pleasant morning cruising the Moselle. We entered the Moselle at the German Corner (Deutsche Eck) around 7:00 a.m. Sailing the Moselle features some of the most beautiful scenery I’ve seen on a river cruise. Despite being delayed behind another cruise ship at two locks, we docked at Cochem on time at 1:30 p.m. Vantage sent us up to the castle in vans in three shifts at 2:30, 3:30, and 4:30. We were in the 3:30 group. We were finished with the tour at about 4:30. Two of the vans went straight back to the ship and the third deposited people in Cochem so that they could shop and walk back to the ship. I chose to walk back to town. It was a very easy quick walk, and I think that I may have gotten into town before the bus. After shopping we came back to the boat, showered (it was 90F in Cochem this afternoon) and relaxed in the lounge before dinner (25% off on Mexican drinks!).

We came through Cochem on Viking’s Cities of Light three years ago, so a tour comparison may be in order. Viking’s tour included a walking tour of Cochem along with the castle tour. Vantage’s castle tour included being greeted by the “lord of the castle” in uniform, being serenaded by a troubadour, and getting a drink of wine in a souvenir glass, while Viking’s tour was just the standard castle tour.

We left Cochem on time at 6:00 on our way to Schweich, where about 80 of the 132 passengers will get on buses for an all-day optional tour to Luxembourg. In preparation for the tour, Vantage is showing Battle of the Bulge in the lounge tonight (170 minute film starting at 9:00 p.m. is too much for us after a big dinner with wine).

First, I’ll say that those who chose not to take the optional tour to Luxembourg just relaxed on the boat. As I stated yesterday, about 80 passengers took the tour.

The day started with a lecture at 8:30 on “The Romans in Germany.” The lecture ended just in time for those of us who were going to Luxembourg to go board the buses. It took about an hour to get to the American cemetery in Hamm. There, veterans of the Korean War (no WWII veterans on the trip) went forward at the chapel to lay a wreath that Vantage had brought. After taps and the national anthem, the assistant director of the cemetery talked for about an hour in intermittent rain describing first, the Normandy invasion, and second, the Battle of the Bulge, finishing up with information about Patton as the group walked to his grave.

It was a 10-15 minute ride from the cemetery to downtown Luxembourg City. Our guide, who had ridden on the bus with us from Schweich, gave information about Luxembourg throughout the trip. We arrived in the city around noon, and our guide took us around the city in a one hour tour that was almost identical to the one we had with Viking three years ago. After the tour we were on our own for lunch. I could have sworn that the Vantage web site had said that we’d get either a box lunch or Euros to pay for our lunch, but apparently that wasn’t the case.

On the hour-long ride back to the ship, the guide gave more information about the sights we were seeing—mostly big banks—and explained how Luxembourg came to be such a banking center.

Those who’d stayed on the boat were offered a morning walk into Schweich by the concierge. This was not a guided tour, but a chance to shop or just take a look around.

This evening is fairly routine, with a port talk at 6:40, followed by dinner at 7:00 and “Liar’s Club” with the cruise director, hotel manager, and concierge in the lounge at 9:00.

One thing that is a little frustrating is Vantage’s policy of letting big parties reserve tables. Most of the prime tables are blocked off for large parties (14 or so) every night. It would be nice to at least move them around so that some of the rest of us could enjoy those tables with the best views.

FuelScience

One thing that is a little frustrating is Vantage’s policy of letting big parties reserve tables. Most of the prime tables are blocked off for large parties (14 or so) every night. It would be nice to at least move them around so that some of the rest of us could enjoy those tables with the best views.

FuelScience

I would mention this to either your TM or the restaurant manager. I don't ever remember them doing that before...and I agree with you it is certainly not fair to let them monopolize the best tables. Are these all large groups traveling together?

Fascinated by your travelogue, as we will be boarding the Navigator when you disembark in Basel. Our room is far away from the 400 deck, way down in the bilge section I think. Have been tracking ship position daily. Thanks for the leads to the three different tracking web sites -- on days when one is unresponsive, another one works.

I would mention this to either your TM or the restaurant manager. I don't ever remember them doing that before...and I agree with you it is certainly not fair to let them monopolize the best tables. Are these all large groups traveling together?

That would irritate me as well.

I'd say a fair compromise would be to only allow reservations of the less popular tables.

For preference though, no reservation of tables at all would seem more equitable as is generally the norm.

That would irritate me as well.

I'd say a fair compromise would be to only allow reservations of the less popular tables.

For preference though, no reservation of tables at all would seem more equitable as is generally the norm.

On all of my previous cruises with Vantage they have not allowed table reservations except for one time when a family group of 6 were allowed to keep a table together, but it wasn't one of the best tables.