How many of you are taking advantage of $1.00 deposits today?

CineGraphic

As many have commented, it's a great deal if you have no FCDs in hand. And if we decide to do something else for 2019 (including the new yet-to-be-named Princess ship debuting), we're only out $4.

So we decided to book a couple "mileage run" cruises on our quest to reach Elite status sooner rather than later, and make a California/Vancouver/Seattle coastal Pacific Northwest vacation out of it.

Coral Princess 3n May 5 2019

Ruby Princess 1n May 10 2019

Yep. I briefly looked, laughed and moved on. Good marketing ploy by Princess though. No commitment on behalf of the purchaser and now they start thinking about what could be.

And Princess can tout increased bookings to investors which may also have a higher percentage of cancellations due to passengers only risking a $1 deposit.

Why are people calling this a sale? It's not a sale. The prices are no different now, than they were weeks ago. You put a $1.00 deposit down, and where does that get you? $1.00 closer to paying the cruise off? And what if you have to cancel for some strange reason? Are you ready to pay that $100 per person cancellation fee? If all I could afford was a buck to put down on my cruise, that's telling me that I'm not ready to book yet.

For me It paid off because I wanted to book a cruise that was part of the RWB sale. It's a year out and I can't be guaranteed to get that week vacation time. This allowed me to book the cruise without the risk of loosing $100 deposit each. I will never book a cruise where that much money would be lost on a deposit. Personally I don't even see the RWB sale as a sale so there was never any urgency to book, especially when you are being penalized if you cancel.

Not that it's any of your business why any of these people are booking cruises under the 1$ Deposit Promotion, because it certainly is none of your business, but I will tell you this: over the past three years I've had some major health issues, two job changes (State-run to VA and then a promotion) and another one on the way (two-step job advancement) and the light at the tunnel is there (in a good way). In a year I'll be in a MUCH better place financially.

This 1$ promotion allows me to book the "cruise of my dreams" for $2 instead of $500, and a quick getaway for 1$ instead of $100. I can afford that now. I can also afford to pay off my cruise in "installments" between now and 2018 and 2019.

Let us have this without you stomping all over it.

:cool:

I'm with you... just because I can't afford hefty deposits right now doesn't mean I'm not ready to plan ahead and book, and either pay it off in installments or pay it when I get a windfall, which happens twice a year for me. I have a lot of taxes withheld so I get a big refund, and I'm in school which helps with my living expenses twice a year so that more of my work income can go to travel. There is no way I could have booked the 4 cruises I booked today with normal deposits. My husband and I have 2 comped cruises on another line we haven't even booked yet because I don't have the "taxes and fees" yet which are required up-front. But I have about 2 years to pay for two of the $1 deposit cruises I booked today and over a year to pay for the other 2, and will easily be able to pay them off by then. In the meantime, I will have them to look forward to and give me incentive to work more hours in the meantime! I'm pretty confident we will be able to take all of them - but as a point of why this deal is so good who wants to plunk down a big deposit and reduce their current cash flow on a cruise in 2018 or 2019 they may end up not taking? I can afford to lose a few dollars, but I can't afford to tie up my bank account for the hundreds of dollars it would have ordinarily cost to reserve these, even if it was refundable down the road! To those who say it's not a sale - it is - it's a "sale" on the deposit cost, and for some of us that is a very worthwhile deal. I skipped the other "real" sales going on to use this one.

The $1 deposit was appealing to me until I realized we have several FCCs on file, so I booked the Royal for 2019 on Princess site but wasn't able to apply FCCs, so I placed a hold and will transfer to my TA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We booked three cruises, a couple of short California Coastals on the Red, White, and Blue Sale with the second passenger half off and a 2019 California cruise on the Royal. We only have one Future Cruise Deposit each and it is hardly worth using them for these short cruises. For only $6 we have three cruises booked over the next two years [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And Princess can tout increased bookings to investors which may also have a higher percentage of cancellations due to passengers only risking a $1 deposit.

And supply takes a healthy hit, so initial prices can stay high on the 2018/19 schedule.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And supply takes a healthy hit, so initial prices can stay high on the 2018/19 schedule.

True and with a $1 deposit it also saves Princess up to $150/pp in OBC when passengers don't use a FCD.

I booked one of the $1 deposit cruises because all 3 of my FCDs were already used for other booked cruises.

Dave!!! Very happy that you are going to cruise on the Royal again!!! I was excited to see your post.

Cheers, Denise

Hi Denise!

I'm very excited that it's finally something:

- not the Caribbean

- not on this coast

- back on a Royal-class

Win, win, win!

:D:D:D

I've been waiting for this sale for so long...

I booked an Alaskan Cruise for 2018..

The only problem is the cost came out to be 6 grand for two. That's too much.. I wanted to book a couple more but didn't see the add on Facebook until late so I didn't have time to plan.

I'm probably going to have to cancel the cruise. :(:D

Hi Paul,

It would be interesting to see what percentage of their inventory actually disappeared from the different markets solely based on this less than 24-hour sale. I can't imagine it's a "healthy hit" in its entirety, since the timespan that covered available bookings was spread across such a long time frame well into 2019. Certain ships during certain dates may have had a higher number of bookings, but fleet-wide I wonder if it was enough to keep prices artificially inflated for the rest of this year and next? Im sure Princess Cruises will issue a press release, and we may never really know the impact of this promotion on prices. I'm sure they will still have future sales and promotions in the months to come and in 2019.

:confused:

Edited by dmwnc1959

California Coastal on Royal Princess for May 2019! $1.00 p/p to hold a cruise for 2 years......fabulous!! Also, just to clarify the $100.00 cancellation fee was quoted incorrectly. No fees, just a non-refundable $1.00 deposit. Why would I give them hundreds of dollars when I can take advantage of this promo? Thank you, Princess!

My wife and I booked a 7 day Eastern Caribbean Treasures in Nov. 2018. We haven't done Princess since our honeymoon in 2009. We were a little disappointed with them but I'm hopeful they've improved since then.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

After thinking about a California coastal trip, and a 10 day southern Caribbean that visited Curacao, I chose an 8 day southern Caribbean visiting the ABC islands on November 8, 2018. Hubby wanted to go to Curacao, (he worked there for a while, it's a lovely island), and the difference between the 10 day in January 2019 and the 8 day in Nov 2018 was $600 per person for a balcony cabin! I even went up $30 pp from my usual "cheapest balcony cabin available" to one a little more mid-ship.

So now we have 3 cruises booked-8 night Med from Barcelona to Rome on Celebrity Silhouette on Sept 14, 7 night Alaska inside passage round trip from Vancouver on the Star Princess on May 5, 2018, and the 8 night ABC island on the Royal Princess for Nov 8 2018. Probably won't be able to afford all of those, but here's to hoping we can make it happen! Somewhere in there I want to do a California coast driving trip, and visit Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and Grand Canyon.