Galveston Carnival Breeze Sunday and a guy named Harvey

thesuperzman

I'm not a novice cruiser, but I am when it comes with dealing with weather uncertainty. I'm traveling with three kids (13, 11, 9) and trying to understand the impact on the storm and the ship sailing on Sunday.

I know that they will most likely sail - but curious if the flooding may pose a problem with people getting to Galveston and delay/postpone for the day. Outside of the cruise being cancelled, what are some of the most likely and worst case scenarios of what may occur and how much notice do you think we will have.

Our flight arrives 0900 Sunday morning. But was willing to fly saturday if it made sense. But looking at the storm track, right now, it looks like Friday or sunday is my best bet.

Any help is appreciated. If you are on the boat with us, I might owe you a drink for some good advice! Thanks in advance.

We always fly a day before as cushion not only for weather consideration, but flight delay/ cancellation as well. Not sure if your flight is HOU or IAH, but it might be better not to fly on cruise day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If weather is affecting your ports you might find you have several more "Fun Days at Sea!" or your ports might change completely depending on berth openings.

Keep checking the Carnival website -- they should have a small pop up or something on the site to let you know of changes or details.

Good luck, enjoy your vacation as best you can!

My issues aren't about being on the ship. I don't care where we end up. It's about any delays (since the Breeze will be returning in the middle of the storm) and, more importantly, how bad will the drive be through potential flooding from Houston to Galveston.

In really bad flooding, sections of I-45 get shut down making it impossible to get off the island and make it to the airports.

Highway 3 and other routes North will likely be impassable if I-45 is shut down.

Usually the major roads aren't closed for over a day, but it can be hell on a busy weekend trying to get from Galveston through Houston, never tried after a hurricane.

This is supposed to be pretty bad. Don't know what to tell you but to keep in contact with your airline and the cruise line.

A lot of airlines already have travel waivers in effect.

This thread says port is closed:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2534793

Confirmed this on port webpage:

http://portofgalveston.com/AlertCenter.aspx?AID=TROPICAL-STORM-HARVEY-23

Edited by 6rugrats

Might want to check with your airline, some flights already being cancelled. It floods around the airport, so may be a problem just leaving the airport.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

https://www.carnival.com/travel-alerts.aspx

HURRICANE HARVEY

Weather Update #2 – 08/24/17 – 2:30 PM (EST)

Tropical Storm Harvey has now been upgraded to a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico and the Port of Galveston is now closed to all marine traffic. At this time, no changes have been made to any of our Galveston sailings for this weekend and our itineraries remain as scheduled.

We will continue to closely monitor Hurricane Harvey’s forecasted track and provide guests with an update by 12:00 PM (CDT) tomorrow.

To stay up to date on any changes, guests are asked to sign up for text alerts by texting the codes below to CRUISE (278473).

Carnival Freedom 08/26/17 - CCL1

Carnival Valor 08/26/17 - CCL2

Carnival Breeze 08/27/17 - CCL3