Weight Gain

avewal4

I am curious, does the considerable amount of walking done on river cruises offset the effect of the great food on board. How many pounds, if any, does the average traveler gain. And by the way, how fast is the walking pace on the tours.

In my early 30's, and quite active on the days in port, combined with 5 additional very active days in Prague, I still managed to gain 2 pounds on my vacation. I ate every course served to me (including dessert, of course), drank much more wine and beer than I normally would have, and had more sweet coffee drinks in a week than I probably had in the prior year.

I am 67, active and struggle to keep weight at a manageable level. I am 6'3" and went to our Viking Christmas markets cruise at 239lbs. Ate my way through all the brats, beer, pretzels and gingerbread at the Christmas markets plus the ample buffets on Viking Kara. Lost 3 lbs.!!!!

Had to book another cruise for this summer to keep my weight under control.

Enjoy yourself,

Frank

I am 67, active and struggle to keep weight at a manageable level. I am 6'3" and went to our Viking Christmas markets cruise at 239lbs. Ate my way through all the brats, beer, pretzels and gingerbread at the Christmas markets plus the ample buffets on Viking Kara. Lost 3 lbs.!!!!

Had to book another cruise for this summer to keep my weight under control.

Enjoy yourself,

Frank

I can usually control weight gain to between 3-5 pounds. I'm 73 and have trouble walking so I generally opt for the slow walkers group or go it on our own. I control what I eat at breakfast and lunch (fruits, veggies, cottage cheese only) and then eat whatever I want at dinner. I don't especially care for beer that much but have 1-3 glasses of wine between cocktail hour and bedtime. I also avoid eating too much candy and cake. Of course, I had streudel in Germany and gelato in Italy and chocolate in Belgium. :D

I almost always drop a pound or two on any trip to Europe. I am a gym rat at home and on vacation we walk 10-12 miles a day, plus I do use the gym onboard.

I very rarely eat dessert and watch what I eat, whether here at home or on vacation.

The only country where I really have to watch myself is Italy as I love their cuisine and wine, and even indulge in a gelato or two per trip.:)

I seem to always lose weight on cruises. I'm more active and the meals are portion controlled. Just what I need!

I should cruise more often:cool:

You would think but aside from the portion control, I tend to suspend control of certain foods that I don't eat/drink at home....ice-cream, cake, pies, hot chocolate and wine!

You can buy some really neat "extra" size clothes along the rivers you cruise!

I like the way your mind works!!!:D

I almost always drop a pound or two on any trip to Europe. I am a gym rat at home and on vacation we walk 10-12 miles a day, plus I do use the gym onboard.

caviargal, I used to like you... CPT Trips and Francis M, you aren't endearing yourselves very much either. ;)

We are plenty active on our trips - hiking, walking a similar distance every day, then staying up in the lounge to dance after dinner. No matter how much we do, we always bring home a little excess baggage anyway. We just shrug it off and figure that we can watch what we eat at home.

I agree with Hydrokitty. The portion control seems good, but it isn't enough to offset the much larger than ordinary breakfasts, the dessert offered at lunch, and tons of wine that we'd never have at home. But we vacation to have fun, and we don't spoil that by paying close attention to what we eat - so that's part of the price.

I don't have much trouble with weight gain in general -- just around the ankles! Had to stop enjoying the wonderful cream soups about halfway through the cruise (loaded with salt!).

Thanks for all your input. We leave in three weeks for a cruise up the Rhine preceded by three days in Lucerne and followed by six days in Amsterdam and Paris. Maybe I won't have to take an extra suitcase with oversized clothes to come home in.

Add a couple more to the list of those who typically lose weight on a river cruise. But we probably average walking 8+ miles a day!

Generally we find it easier to stay fit in Europe. Their excellent transit systems encourage much more pedestrian travel than we are able to enjoy in the auto-centric USA.

I walk tons but eat and drink more on vacations, so I do not lose weight. I only have weights from the beginning of the month, so I can't tell how much I gained was the river cruise and what was holiday eating in November & December.....

Although I love food, I'm kind of over the excessively luxurious foods on cruises. Of course, easier said than done. I too succumb to dessert that I would not otherwise have. I will be doing lots of walking, so perhaps that will save me. I am sorry to say that my cruise history over the last 15 years has probably contributed to my continuing weight problem.

My splurges on the river cruise were smoked salmon for breakfast every morning (which is fine on its own, but when combined with bread....) and the cheese plate for dessert every night. And a wurst at every Christmas Market:p

Add in every local beer, plus wine in the evening - well, that is a few hundred calories more per day than I usually eat, and not even the walking could help....

We are very active on the cruises, so I don't have a problem with weight gain. Also, I don't drink alcohol, and the meal portions are generally less than you will find at the typical American restaurant. I did think I'd have an issue on our Portraits of Southern France cruise, when I indulged at the afternoon tea in many macarons and other pastries, but the walking still offset them. :)

Becki

I don't have much trouble with weight gain in general -- just around the ankles! Had to stop enjoying the wonderful cream soups about halfway through the cruise (loaded with salt!).

My downfall are the chilled fruit soups.....they alone probably account for half of my 3-5 pound weight gain......but if you can't enjoy the wonderful food, why go....that's what home is for!!! :D

I plan on eating sparsely the week before we leave to drop a pound or two and give myself some leeway! Of course, I also have a business trip the week before our trip so will also have to deal with restaurant food and conference snacks.

I've also scoped out the most active of the tours and have been scouring previous threads to find the most strenuous sightseeing ventures, like climbing the cathedral in Cologne.

I plan on eating sparsely the week before we leave to drop a pound or two and give myself some leeway! Of course, I also have a business trip the week before our trip so will also have to deal with restaurant food and conference snacks.

Hmm...that's an interesting thought....lose 5 pounds before you go and then eat it back on without guilt....I like it!!! :D

My splurges on the river cruise were smoked salmon for breakfast every morning (which is fine on its own, but when combined with bread....) and the cheese plate for dessert every night. And a wurst at every Christmas Market:p

Add in every local beer, plus wine in the evening - well, that is a few hundred calories more per day than I usually eat, and not even the walking could help....

I agree with the smoked salmon. That is my breakfast choice most mornings. And a wurst goes without saying. :)

AMA has an artisanal cheese board at lunch and dinner that is wonderful! Add their wide array of baked on board breads and good local red wines, and I am a happy camper. I don't indulge like that at home but do enjoy doing so on a river cruise.

I could not care less about desserts and sweets in general and do not like anything prepared with butter or cream. My husband more than makes up for me in that department.

Hmm...that's an interesting thought....lose 5 pounds before you go and then eat it back on without guilt....I like it!!! :D

Well, ask me in August if it actually worked out that way ;)

I have lost 55 lbs since mid-January, with another 15-20 to go--I'd love to think I'll be at my goal by the time we leave at the end of July. I have stayed on track by telling myself "You can eat anything you want on the cruise." LOL.

Edited by hiccups

Well you guys are now making me hungry! Smoked salmon for breakfast, yes! But then there's the cream cheese. And chilled fruit soup--I love! I stopped eating them after a while on Regent because someone told me they made them creamy by using ice cream as a base, lol.