River Cruising?

I think I was over the cold by the time we flew home from Hong Kong. Thank you for your concern. You do hear stories of people picking up coughs and colds that won't shift from cruise ships.

When we are cruising, we do actually spend a lot of time in our cabin, which is why we always get a balcony. So no way of lowering the price of a river cruise that way! Just have to wait.

However, I will look in to some of the river cruises that don't include everything. We only drink about two drinks a day, so a river cruise that does not include drinks might improve matters.

Good to hear you're OK now. It took me another week or so after we got back to finally shake off my cough - but mine was triggered by the air pollution which was also bad in Hong Kong.

The river cruise we did only included drinks (wine & beer) with dinner. The rest were extra cost. They were decent wines though, typically specialities of the regions we passed through.

Some 14 day river cruise deals - Amsterdam-Budapest around currently for $4000 and plenty around for $6000 inc airfares. Not with dodgy companies ether, Scenic, APT, Viking, all doing it tough at the moment.

Edited by NSWP

We did Amsterdam to Budapest with Travel Marvel last May. They're APT's lesser priced company. It was a late booking (2 weeks before departure) and very cheap. There were absolutely no bells and whistles but we did get to enjoy the journey down the rivers, the locks and the beautiful towns along the way.

We love ocean cruising and personally felt the river experience was like living in a high school dormitory being bossed around 24 hours a day. But friends who are just home from the same cruise fully inclusive with Scenic haven't stopped raving about the wonderful add on experiences like the horse and carriage ride through the countryside in beautiful Budapest and the restored vintage train journey to Salzburg.

Edited by wishfulone

We did Amsterdam to Budapest with Travel Marvel last May. They're APT's lesser priced company. It was a late booking (2 weeks before departure) and very cheap. There were absolutely no bells and whistles but we did get to enjoy the journey down the rivers, the locks and the beautiful towns along the way.

We love ocean cruising and personally felt the river experience was like living in a high school dormitory being bossed around 24 hours a day. But friends who are just home from the same cruise fully inclusive with Scenic haven't stopped raving about the wonderful add on experiences like the horse and carriage ride through the countryside in beautiful Budapest and the restored vintage train journey to Salzburg.

When you say no bells and whistles, what do you think was lacking?

When you say no bells and whistles, what do you think was lacking?

With Scenic, Apt, Uniwrold, etc the shore excursions are fully inclusive and 'special' like the ones mentioned above. With Travel Marvel we had to pay for the excursion to Salzburg. We travelled in an ordinary bus with 59 other people. When we reached Slazburg it was already about 1pm and without a stop for lunch - that would have interfered with the guide's plans - we were frogmarched through the city like a pack of salivating hounds without water in the heat.

Back onboard after each very long day, we were given a 20-30 mins to freshen up before the briefing for the next day in a crammed lounge/bar and then straight to dinner. If you wanted to shower in that 20 mins then maybe you got hot water :D but you ended up late for the briefing/lecture. And if you wanted to get a very expensive drink from the bar, hey that's a disturbance. Go to gaol, go directly to gaol and do not pass go.

You did ask :o

With Scenic, Apt, Uniwrold, etc the shore excursions are fully inclusive and 'special' like the ones mentioned above. With Travel Marvel we had to pay for the excursion to Salzburg. We travelled in an ordinary bus with 59 other people. When we reached Slazburg it was already about 1pm and without a stop for lunch - that would have interfered with the guide's plans - we were frogmarched through the city like a pack of salivating hounds without water in the heat.

Back onboard after each very long day, we were given a 20-30 mins to freshen up before the briefing for the next day in a crammed lounge/bar and then straight to dinner. If you wanted to shower in that 20 mins then maybe you got hot water :D but you ended up late for the briefing/lecture. And if you wanted to get a very expensive drink from the bar, hey that's a disturbance. Go to gaol, go directly to gaol and do not pass go.

Thank you, I seriously wanted to know.

It's nice to know your options.

Sounds a bit of a nightmare. A bit of luxury sounds much better to me. I suppose you get what you pay for in the end.

Sounds a bit of a nightmare. A bit of luxury sounds much better to me. I suppose you get what you pay for in the end.

Exactly. Pay for a cheaper standard of cruise and you get a lower standard of service and experience. For some though, the cheaper cruise is their opportunity to take the journey. Comes down to horses for course I guess.

Exactly. Pay for a cheaper standard of cruise and you get a lower standard of service and experience. For some though, the cheaper cruise is their opportunity to take the journey. Comes down to horses for course I guess.

It certainly rings true for researching the differing products and then buying the style that suits both you and your pocket.:D

We are looking at doing our first river cruise in Europe next year. Amsterdam/Budapest sounds good. Any recommendations from a Aussie perspective?

There is a rivercruise board on this site, has lots of good tips.

Uniworld has specials for this year (they do it every year) 50% off. If you go into their Australian site, click on offers it gives you the cruises and the dates on sale for various cruises. I think their Amst to Buda is called European Jewels. Its either an American of Canadian company, that includes Trafalgar, Insight, Contiki and lots of others so if you have ever done one of those tour companies, you get an extra discount. I cruised Bucharest (Romania) to Amsterdam in Nov 2009 (at 1/2 price) and loved it. demographics were mixed, Americans, Canadians, Australians & some Brittish. River boats recently renovated, but as quite a few of their boats are older, not many cabins have balconies or french balconies. (they do have some new boats but not on that route) Must admit, don't think I would have used it more than once or twice if I have one as you spend most of your day onshore and the evening in the dinning room. Thing is, if you do a Scenic, you will love Scenic, if you do a APT you will love APT etc. On an ocean cruise, it can be all about the ship, but on a river cruise, its all about the fabulous places you see every day. (ansd very nice food)

There is a rivercruise board on this site, has lots of good tips.

Uniworld has specials for this year (they do it every year) 50% off. If you go into their Australian site, click on offers it gives you the cruises and the dates on sale for various cruises. I think their Amst to Buda is called European Jewels. Its either an American of Canadian company, that includes Trafalgar, Insight, Contiki and lots of others so if you have ever done one of those tour companies, you get an extra discount. I cruised Bucharest (Romania) to Amsterdam in Nov 2009 (at 1/2 price) and loved it. demographics were mixed, Americans, Canadians, Australians & some Brittish. River boats recently renovated, but as quite a few of their boats are older, not many cabins have balconies or french balconies. (they do have some new boats but not on that route) Must admit, don't think I would have used it more than once or twice if I have one as Thing is, if you do a Scenic, you will love Scenic, if you do a APT you will love APT etc. On an ocean cruise, it can be all about the ship, but on a river cruise, its all about the fabulous places you see every day. (ansd very nice food)

I would humbly disagree. The experience includes everything - cabin, balcony or not, food, shore excursions, nightly entertainment, the journey, and more. The Cruise Director on a river cruise is the most important person on board. They control absolutely everything. If they're good, your experience will be more fulfilling whether you travel 1st or 3rd class.

....you spend most of your day onshore and the evening in the dinning room.

On some ships you have to be in the dining room within a few minutes of the given time and you also have to leave the dining room within a few minutes of end of service. You are then relegated to the lounge/bar area where the music is provided for the young crew to come, drink, dance and enjoy! Loud in other words.

You travelled Uniworld, the most expensive of the all inclusive river cruise companies. Even at half price they're very expensive. We went with one of the cheapest. The difference in every area is astronomical.

Edited by wishfulone

I would humbly disagree. The experience includes everything - cabin, balcony or not, food, shore excursions, nightly entertainment, the journey, and more. The Cruise Director on a river cruise is the most important person on board. They control absolutely everything. If they're good, your experience will be more fulfilling whether you travel 1st or 3rd class.

On some ships you have to be in the dining room within a few minutes of the given time and you also have to leave the dining room within a few minutes of end of service. You are then relegated to the lounge/bar area where the music is provided for the young crew to come, drink, dance and enjoy! Loud in other words.

You travelled Uniworld, the most expensive of the all inclusive river cruise companies. Even at half price they're very expensive. We went with one of the cheapest. The difference in every area is astronomical.

Hi Wishfulone, you are probably right, I have only done one river cruise (the only cruise of any type at the time) so i don't have anything to compare it with. I guess what I probably meant was that friends I know who have done Scenic have said they loved it, freinds that have done APT have said the same. I agree, all the things you mentioned are important, I really liked all aspects of the boat, but for me personally and I should have said that) I loved the places we saw and the experiences we had. How many Aussies get to go to Bulgaria?

Must admit, I usually travel in Europe dragging a suitcase around train stations & staying in hostels (those that will allow oldies) so for me it was the best holiday Ive ever had.

Edited by reedy8
spelling error

Hi Wishfulone, you are probably right, I have only done one river cruise (the only cruise of any type at the time) so i don't have anything to compare it with. I guess what I probably meant was that friends I know who have done Scenic have said they loved it, freinds that have done APT have said the same. I agree, all the things you mentioned are important, I really liked all aspects of the boat, but for me personally and I should have said that) I loved the places we saw and the experiences we had. How many Aussies get to go to Bulgaria?

Must admit, I usually travel in Europe dragging a suitcase around train stations & staying in hostels (those that will allow oldies) so for me it was the best holiday Ive ever had.

Wow! You've gone from youth hostels to Uniworld? No wonder you think all river cruise companies must be great. It's wonderful that you enjoyed your journey so much and I hope you've been able to have more 'luxury' experiences since then.

How many Aussies get to go to Bulgaria?

More than you think. I first visited Bulgaria in 1979. I'm Australian and I've been there a few times since. So have lots of average-man-in-the-street Aussies. We're a very well travelled group of people, us Aussies.

Edited by wishfulone