Long beach or Los Angeles?

vino100

2 different ports. Princess typically uses Port of Los Angeles AKA San Pedro for embarkation. Carnival uses port of Long Beach. Occasionally Princess may make an LA stop and dock in Long Beach when LA is not the embarkation port.

Your Personalizer will have the exact address for embarkation. It'll be the World Cruise Center, Port of Los Angeles, San Pedro. San Pedro is in the city of Los Angeles.

Long Beach is a separate port in the city of Long Beach.

People have confused them a number of times, going to the wrong port and having to dash to the correct one.

I am not surprised. Princess brochures also say "London" as a port for their cruises despite the fact that many of their ships get no where near London. Tokyo is another example. No Princess ship has ever docked in Tokyo, they dock in Yokohama which is a considerable distance from Tokyo.

Princess has a reputation of never making it clear where their ships are docking so you can hardly blame people for their misunderstandings.

I am not surprised. Princess brochures also say "London" as a port for their cruises despite the fact that many of their ships get no where near London. Tokyo is another example. No Princess ship has ever docked in Tokyo, they dock in Yokohama which is a considerable distance from Tokyo.

Princess has a reputation of never making it clear where their ships are docking so you can hardly blame people for their misunderstandings.

The port in San Pedro is actually named the Port of Los Angeles.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well, every brochure I've seen say London (Southampton) or London (Dover) or Tokyo (Yokohama) or Athens (Piraeus) etc... They make it perfectly clear that the port is different from the major city near it. As someone else has said, San Pedro is just a suburb located within the city of Los Angeles.

Well, every brochure I've seen say London (Southampton) or London (Dover) or Tokyo (Yokohama) or Athens (Piraeus) etc... They make it perfectly clear that the port is different from the major city near it. As someone else has said, San Pedro is just a suburb located within the city of Los Angeles.

A suburb would be a separate city near a major city. San Pedro is actually a part of the city of Los Angeles itself.

It confuses a lot of people...even lots of locals...

Here's the deal:

It's actually all one VERY BIG harbor...It's massive...It is the third busiest port in the world. Most cargo that goes in or out of North America via the Pacific enters or exits through the Port of Los Angeles/Long Beach. It dwarfs the volumes of every other port on the Pacific Coast.

If you Google San Pedro or Long Beach on Google Maps, then zoom out, you can get an idea of just how large it is...

The port actually straddles what was, at one time, three separate cities: San Pedro, Long Beach and Wilmington. Back in the early 20th Century, the City of Los Angeles--which was actually miles inland--craved a port to facilitate its growth and importance...so, it reached out and annexed the cities of San Pedro and Wilmington whole. Both are now only "neighborhoods" of the City of Los Angeles. Long Beach, OTOH, maintained its independence and is it's own incorporated city with a population of about half a million...

There are TWO facilities within the harbor complex that support cruise ships:

1) The World Cruise Center...located on the extreme Western edge of the harbor in San Pedro. This facility is used by most cruise lines including Princess (also HAL, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Oceania and anyone else when they are here).

2) The Carnival Terminal...this one is located on the extreme Eastern edge of the harbor in the City of Long Beach. It is used virtually entirely by Carnival--with the few exceptions being an occasional visit as a port stop (not embarkation/disembarkation) by other Carnival-owned cruise lines such as Princess or Cunard...but those visits are rare.

The two facilities are about 7 miles apart--if reached by crossing Terminal Island...the large industrial island that fronts the harbor and the Vincent Thomas Bridge--LA's only suspension bridge.

If you are cruising on Princess and you are embarking and/or disembarking in Los Angeles, it will be at the World Cruise Center in San Pedro.

Edited by Bruin Steve

oh i don't think that's a thing to blame on princess. think oft it in scale. disney is not in either orlando or los angeles, but people not from california are less likely to know lake buena vista, or anaheim.

others have already explained princess uses san pedro, but the port of LA and Long beach are in the same general area and not far from each other. a quite lyft or taxi between the two.

In many cases the major city is nowhere near the port location. That is the problem. For people who know geography they do not need this explained. If I were to pick up a UK P&O brochure it would have Southampton as the port and no mention of London at all, same for Yokohama. I don't mean to infer that some nationalities are geographically challenged but when cruise lines make a point of mentioning cities like that of course it will confuse people.

Princess has done round the world cruises. They have stopped in Southampton. There is no way come hell or high water any passenger could reasonably expect a tour of London from the port of Southampton. It is just too far away.

My point is that they should not be mentioning cities at all that the port is not near. People should be smart enough to work it out for themselves, if not I cannot fathom to understand how they gained the intellect to earn a wage sufficient enough to pay for a cruise in the first place.

Hi,

The Long Beach terminal is very close to the original Queen Mary. Prior to two recent Princess cruises departing from the main Los Angeles port, I spent a night aboard the Queen Mary. On the date of departure, I took a taxi from the Queen Mary to the main port (about a 15 or 20 minute drive) to board the Princess ship.

For cruises that dock in Long Beach, the Queen Mary is a short walk from the terminal.

Chuck

oh i don't think that's a thing to blame on princess. think oft it in scale. disney is not in either orlando or los angeles, but people not from california are less likely to know lake buena vista, or anaheim.

others have already explained princess uses san pedro, but the port of LA and Long beach are in the same general area and not far from each other. a quite lyft or taxi between the two.

and Universal city/Hollywood is not really in the suburb of "Hollywood," but is on the other side of the Cahuenga Pass in Universal City. But the commercials (and probably its website, etc.) also say Hollywood because it sounds more glamorous (to those who have never been to this area).

Hi,

The Long Beach terminal is very close to the original Queen Mary. Prior to two recent Princess cruises departing from the main Los Angeles port, I spent a night aboard the Queen Mary. On the date of departure, I took a taxi from the Queen Mary to the main port (about a 15 or 20 minute drive) to board the Princess ship.

For cruises that dock in Long Beach, the Queen Mary is a short walk from the terminal.

Chuck

that's why if you're staying in Long Beach (as some do to explore the QM, Aquarium of the Pacific, etc., pre-cruise), make sure to tell your driver (taxi or shuttle) which port you need to go to. Else, the driver may assume you're going on a Carnival cruise from LB. Don't just say "the Princess pier" as that could be meaningless to some drivers (I've seen some NCL cruisers use "NCL pier" on their posts on the western destinations board on cc).

Hi,

Chuck

I also stayed on the Queen Mary after a cruise on Golden Princess ended in San Pedro. It was a short drive from the terminal. I would highly recommend Queen Mary to anyone wanting to stay in the area before a cruise if they have an interest in shipping history.