Oasis of the Seas with the toddler under 2

Hello guys, I will be sailing on the Oasis of the Seas with my toddler, she is under 2 and was wondering any ideas how to entertain toddler/ what areas to check out for toddler? Also she cannot live without milk. Is milk easily accessible on the ship at any time? Do I need to bring stroller? For those travelling to the ports, do taxis on the island take you with a toddler? Or they require car seat? Do I need to bring base to the car seat as well? It seems a lot of hassle, my baby hate car seats so I was hoping not to bring any with me at all….

You might have an issue with car seat getting from airport to port. FL is now requiring taxis to use car seats. When we sailed on Oasis in March our niece had problems getting from FLL to the hotel. It almost came down to renting a car and going to pick her up. I think the hotel shuttle did finally take her without a car seat. You might want to hire a car service who will provide a car seat. We have used one a couple of times and they aren't much more than a taxi.

I don't think you will have an issue finding milk and you could even order some for room service. You could probably fit a serving or two in the cabin refrigerator. I would suggest taking an umbrella stroller. The ship is large enough it won't be in the way and better to have it than wish you did.

Edited by jamesr3939

With regard to milk, I would bring a small soft-side cooler bag for the milk and have the stateroom attendant keep it filled with ice. I would be wary of using the stateroom cooler because it does not seem to get very cold.

You can grab some milk cartons from Windjammer or Park Cafe and stor them in your stateroom for later use.

Edited by clarea

Just off ROS with our 19 month old grandson...we had no problem getting milk (warm) at the drink station in the WJ (their open until 9:00pm)...you can order from roomservice but we found it to be too slow in the evenings.

RCI offers a wonderful Royal Babies & Tots nursery program and also they have an amazing playarea for open play..also you can check out a bag of toys to keep in your cabin.

I would suggest as soon as you board go and register your little one at the nursery...they'll give you all the info you need.

Do absolutely bring an umbrella stroller...We managed traveling without a carseat (Alaska).

As far as private transportation in Fort Lauderdale try contacting...Jiffy Jeff (305) 588-6143

or jiffyjefftransportation@gmail.com he offers great reliable transportation and offers carseats.

If you're coming in day of cruise you can use RCI bus transfers...large bus no carseat needed.

Enjoy...We had so much fun cruising with a little one...much easier than we assumed.

Edited by Ashland

Wow!!! I'm glad that I asked what a ridiculous situation I would be!!! I am arriving in FLL 2 days prior to the cruise and stay in beach front hotel and we are arriving in the Middle of the Night!!!!! Jesus, what I am going to do if taxi won't take us? Are you for sure taxi won't take us? I am not even sure if any car service will be available in the middle of the night? What to do....

Just off ROS with our 19 month old grandson...we had no problem getting milk (warm) at the drink station in the WJ (their open until 9:00pm)...you can order from roomservice but we found it to be too slow in the evenings.

RCI offers a wonderful Royal Babies & Tots nursery program and also they have an amazing playarea for open play..also you can check out a bag of toys to keep in your cabin.

I would suggest as soon as you board go and register your little one at the nursery...they'll give you all the info you need.

Do absolutely bring an umbrella stroller...We managed traveling without a carseat (Alaska).

As far as private transportation in Fort Lauderdale try contacting...Jiffy Jeff (305) 588-6143

or jiffyjefftransportation@gmail.com he offers great reliable transportation and offers carseats.

If you're coming in day of cruise you can use RCI bus transfers...large bus no carseat needed.

Enjoy...We had so much fun cruising with a little one...much easier than we assumed.

How did you manage to feed the baby with the milk when you were visiting the islands? Milk can be good only for an hour. I have no idea what to do?

You might have an issue with car seat getting from airport to port. FL is now requiring taxis to use car seats. When we sailed on Oasis in March our niece had problems getting from FLL to the hotel. It almost came down to renting a car and going to pick her up. I think the hotel shuttle did finally take her without a car seat. You might want to hire a car service who will provide a car seat. We have used one a couple of times and they aren't much more than a taxi.

I don't think you will have an issue finding milk and you could even order some for room service. You could probably fit a serving or two in the cabin refrigerator. I would suggest taking an umbrella stroller. The ship is large enough it won't be in the way and better to have it than wish you did.

Perhaps I just read the new law incorrectly but it appears that it doesn't apply to taxi's....:confused::confused:

How did you manage to feed the baby with the milk when you were visiting the islands? Milk can be good only for an hour. I have no idea what to do?

We were in Alaska not on an island..I was speaking about being onboard the ship....

Regardless milk was sold everywhere when we were in ports and should be where you're going too. ..or at least they did the many many times we've been in the caribbean if that's where your cruising to..

Don't stress over "milk" when in ports...doesn't your little one drink water and juice too?

Edited by Ashland

It absolutely applies to taxis and what we were told is the airport monitors it very closely so no taxi will take the chance. Car service will pick you up at any time. I don't think it applies to bus type hotel shuttles so check with your hotel. Our niece got in late afternoon thinking it won't be a problem. It took her five hours to get from the airport to the hotel. Not sure if FLL allows UBER, but you might want to check on using an UBER driver who will pick you up.

Edited by jamesr3939

Hello guys, I will be sailing on the Oasis of the Seas with my toddler, she is under 2 and was wondering any ideas how to entertain toddler/ what areas to check out for toddler? Also she cannot live without milk. Is milk easily accessible on the ship at any time? Do I need to bring stroller? For those travelling to the ports, do taxis on the island take you with a toddler? Or they require car seat? Do I need to bring base to the car seat as well? It seems a lot of hassle, my baby hate car seats so I was hoping not to bring any with me at all….

When our kids were this small we had to bring our carseats from home.Checked them on the plane etc... PIA but had to do it...Dont risk it not putting your child in car seat at that age.. Ive been a firefighter/paramedic fir many years and seen many children ejected from cars for the want of a car seat... Just check it and bring it.

When our kids were this small we had to bring our carseats from home.Checked them on the plane etc... PIA but had to do it...Dont risk it not putting your child in car seat at that age.. Ive been a firefighter/paramedic fir many years and seen many children ejected from cars for the want of a car seat... Just check it and bring it.

I agree with you, don't chance it. Those taxi drivers are crazy. The airline will check it for free as well. When we got off the plane we grabbed a luggage carrier for $5 loaded everything onto it and headed outside. When you get to the port the porter will take care of it as well so you won't need to handle it.

Geez, such a pain, the thing is that my baby never sits in that seat, she cries like crazy and most of the time I hold her on my lap anyways... Such a pain to drag it with me because I know that we not gonna use it.

Also, I am not understanding something here. Is it sufficient enough just to bring the car seat and that it? Because you cannot just put car seat in the car? It supposed to have the base that it holds to something. SHould I drag with myself car seat base as well? WIll it be checked in by airline as well.... It kinda bulky.....

My grandson flew quite a few trips a year.....I bought my daughter a car seat carrier at babies r us....had a handle and wheels....she got really good at managing the carseat,stroller and assorted bags.....your baby may not like it but it is the law most places and certainly much safer for her....

The ref in your cabin is rarely cold enough to store milk products.....ask the steward to put a bowl of ice in with it or use your ice bucket...bring everything she needs....wipes,diapers,child med's like fever reducer.....supplies will be few and far between and a lot more expensive.....lucky you to be cruising with your child....enjoy!

Geez, such a pain, the thing is that my baby never sits in that seat, she cries like crazy and most of the time I hold her on my lap anyways... Such a pain to drag it with me because I know that we not gonna use it.

Also, I am not understanding something here. Is it sufficient enough just to bring the car seat and that it? Because you cannot just put car seat in the car? It supposed to have the base that it holds to something. SHould I drag with myself car seat base as well? WIll it be checked in by airline as well.... It kinda bulky.....

My daughter traveled with a 13 month old and bought a separate car seat that fit into the airline seat - we paid for a seat for the baby. She used this in taxis. Most car seats that ride backwards for babies can be hooked up with a seatbelt, even if usually a base is used. I have seen car seats checked by airlines.

Off the subject, but riding with a baby on your lap is very dangerous for her. Tests have shown that you could not hold onto her in a crash, even though you would want to protect her. Children have to be in some car seat up to maybe 60 pounds. Your daughter would stop crying eventually and sit in the carseat.

Well it looks like it is inevitable and I must bring it. Thanks God that it occured to me and I checked out here with you guys otherwise I would come without it. So is the car seat all I need? I just don't get it how to use it without a base? It won't be holding in place??

Well it looks like it is inevitable and I must bring it. Thanks God that it occured to me and I checked out here with you guys otherwise I would come without it. So is the car seat all I need? I just don't get it how to use it without a base? It won't be holding in place??

Just curious as to what car seat that you have that requires a "base"? Is it one of those infant-to-school seats? We always have to bring our car seats when traveling and it really isn't a big issue. Less than a minute instillation with LATCH and never a issue on flights.

When we need a car seat for travel (including it's FAA approved) we purchased a Safety 1st Guide 65 Sport...got ours at Walmart just google this brand of seat. It's compact, lightweight. It holds a child up to 65 lbs front facing and 45 lbs rear facing...it's a great carseat. This seat works so well that even though I (grandma) bought it for just travel I now keep it in my car for everyday use when needed. My son also bought one for his 2nd car.

We also have a "Go Go Babyz" travelmate cart that is like a dolly for the carseat...you strap in the carseat and pull/push it through the airport etc. this works amazing..it folds up quickly and fits either under the airplane seat or in the overhead bin...google this too.

We also have a Mountain Buggy Nano (google) a great quick fold stroller that fits into its own case and is so small it also fits in the overhead bin (looks like a small piece of luggage).

Just a few suggestions for you to consider if you'll be doing much traveling....we have two toddler grandsons (and sure will have more on the way someday) and we are a family who loves to travel/cruise...so we got prepared.

Best of luck and enjoy traveling with a little one.

Edited by Ashland

You are stressing way too much over this milk thing. As another poster said ,milk is available almost everywhere. If you want it with you, just bring along a thermos hot/cold cup or small insulated cooler bag (lunch bag size) with some ice and keep a couple of cartons of milk there. As long as it is not sitting out in the broiling sun for hours, you will be fine. Milk lasts way more than an hour if it is kept cool...doesn't have to be refrigerator cold. Good luck and enjoy your cruise. Just do your research and all will be fine!:)

Yes, I have regular one, the one with the handle when the baby was born. Is there another one without a base?

Please tell me this is a joke or a troll situation....

For starters, unless it's an EXTREMELY high-end seat with extended sizing capability, toddlers do not ride in carseats with a carrying handle. Those are called "bucket" seats (because you can carry the baby around like you'd carry a bucket) and they absolutely cannot be used once the baby's shoulders are higher than the top shoulder strap. Unless your toddler has a growth disorder, your toddler is more than likely too large for this sort of carseat.

Second, how on earth can you not know how your carseat works? The "bucket" style snaps into a base, but they also can be strapped in on their own using the car's seatbelt. It's not convenient, but it's necessary for the safety of the child.

Third, even though airlines allow it up to age two, babies/toddlers should NOT be held in a parent's arms during a flight -- buy the kid their own seat and strap them into a properly secured carseat. In the event of turbulence or a crash, your child will go flying through the plane's cabin if you're just holding the kid in your arms.

If this thread is real, I beg you to go to a local fire station and ask for help in choosing and installing the proper carseat for your child's size. Trust me, they will gladly help you -- none of the firefighters want to be the one scraping your child's brains off the asphalt or digging your baby out of the dashboard where they've become embedded in the event of a vehicle crash.

This website might help, too:

http://www.safercar.gov/parents/CarSeats/Car-Seat-Safety.htm

Well, it doesn't sound so simple to me as you are saying. My baby will cry for hours without milk. She won't go to sleep without it. I even tried experimenting in fear that I won't have milk, so I gave her formula yesterday and guess what she should have went to bed at 10.00 but it didn't happen, she refused to drink formula and didn't go to bed until 3.00 am!!! crying all the time for milk, I wasn't giving to her because I want to give her formula to adjust to that. It seems to me formula is much easier because I will have powder with me, will buy some water and will make it work..... But she refuses to drink any formula so I am stuck with milk. She doesn't care about juice or water and only needs milk that's why I am stressing out.... I just have no idea how it could work. For example, we go to the airport with a bit of milk 3 hours before departure, by the time we land the plane, I will be out of milk because I think the security won't allow me to bring a lot of milk and even if I am able to bring it through security, it won't be good in 3 hours.... How can I keep it cold? Ice through security in the airport? Will they allow ice? I doubt it.... I will be flying 14 hours, I have no idea what I am going to do. Then next arrival to FLL in the middle of the night, going to the hotel, where will I get milk there? Restaurants will be closed at that time... The next morning, I think it should be no problem getting the milk from the restaurant unless who knows maybe the restaurant will say we don't serve milk.... Then any port that are visiting: Bahamas, St. Martin and St.Thomas, once we get off the ship, I will have a supply again that will last me for an hour or so. What should I bring to keep it cool? Ice? for hot weather on the beach, it will all melt within an hour.... Once we are on the beach, where on earth I will buy milk? From the food truck that sells liquor? Like I don't get it? I am happy to take enough milk supply with me from the cruise but how to keep it cold??? Please help me out, I don't know how to figure out this milk situation while on the plane, in the hotel and while visiting ports as well....

I guess I can buy milk at Starbucks in the airport, not sure if they have cartons of milk but it seems to me they do. I just never paid attention to this things because this is our first baby. Once we land in FLL, it's midnight so I bet everything will be closed and I definitely will need milk there to put baby to sleep. Any ideas where to buy milk there? Does anybody know if there are some stores at the airport in FLL that are open 24/7?