Zika causes pause is in planning

Presentation

Zika will not keep me home. I think some common sense precautions will be sufficient: stay away from vegetation, wear repellent, etc. Or you could cruise from Galveston or New Orleans or cruise to Alaska this year.

Hubby and I are simply putting off getting pregnant until we get back from our cruise (after the waiting period). Doesn't really affect any other aspect of our lives. I will bring deet and other precautions of course [emoji5]

We are also doing the waiting period after our October cruise before we try to have a child. We might stay on the boat for the most part at our ports also just to be good and safe.

Take prudent precautions

Going to agree with MG and bearsnut on this. Precaution makes sense, especially for pregnant women and now maybe anyone.

Doesn't mean you have to cancel your cruise. Just use precaution in ports and on excursions. To borrow from Kilgore, "Oh how we love the smell of DEET in the morning!" :D:rolleyes:

Hubby and I are simply putting off getting pregnant until we get back from our cruise (after the waiting period). Doesn't really affect any other aspect of our lives. I will bring deet and other precautions of course [emoji5]

Just curious, how long is the waiting period?

Just curious, how long is the waiting period?

The last I read it was 8 weeks for everyone who has been in an area where Zika has been found but have shown no symptoms or 8 weeks for women and 6 months for men have shown symptoms or tested positive for Zika.

Edited by Sugaree5335

The last I read it was 8 weeks for everyone who has been in an area where Zika has been found but have shown no symptoms or 8 weeks for women and 6 months for men have shown symptoms or tested positive for Zika.

THanks! Good to know

This is what I've heard except it's six months for both men and women who show symptoms

Thank you everyone. We we'll be discussing this topic more this weekend.

If it was just the two of us, it may be different as we are past child bearing years.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Seems you are planning a cruise with those of "child bearing" age.

Can certainly understand your concerns.

AFAIK, Zika isn't yet a world wide problem. If possible exposure is a problem for some in your group, consider cruising else where.

DH and I aren't concerned, so we have plans for both Florida and the Caribbean in upcoming months.

I cruised to effected regions in March and felt OK about it because I knew I would not be getting pregnant for several months after that. Now that I am trying to get pregnant though, I will not be traveling to those areas in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i hadn't thought about it until this morning when the UK issued a warning to pregnant women about non-essential travel to florida.

we're not planning a cruise, but a big family trip to Disney World, so i hadn't thought about it at all.

But now that zika has made land in Florida, albeit Miami, it's something that i'm afraid we may have to take into consideration for our big 2017 trip (3 weeks at WDW).

hopefully by next year, the dust will have settled and we'll have a better idea of the risks.

like you, if it were just the two of us, it wouldn't be an issue...

but we'll have young couples and toddlers long for the fun...

definitely will go into the equation...

here are some links to articles on the UK warning just issued:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/30/pregnant-women-told-to-delay-florida-travel-over-zika-virus-fears

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/30/zika-outbreak-in-florida-prompts-travel-warning-for-pregnant-wom/

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36929641

We decided to put a pause in our cruise planning until we see how this one plays out.

I'm making no judgment on other people's decisions, just curious if anyone else has given thought to this?

Governor: 4 new Zika cases likely came from Fla. mosquitoes

http://usat.ly/2ahmqaz

nope. at our age, not looking to have more kids so no worries.

The chikungunya virus and dengue fever concern me more than zika since I would be more likely to have symptoms from them. But I've never noticed mosquitos on cruises, even when doing shore excursions into the interior parts of Caribbean islands. I know that mosquitos that spread these diseases can bite someone during the daytime, but I'd be more concerned if we were going for an extended trip to an island when we'd be staying overnight for a week or so.

Lol agreed. Caribbean vacations are typically the most affordable, especially when you already live in the south!

If you don't live in the south, "affordable" takes on a different meaning ;) We leave home 3 or 4 days before our cruise, in case of weather delays. So add an extra $500 to $700 or so per day pre cruise to the affordable cruise :) That'd be hotels, meals, gratuities, transport, entertainment.

edit to add: we are still planning on the Carib for a winter getaway. However, we are past the age of child bearing. Is that TMI? :)

Edited by VennDiagram