Idle Speculation -- Ain't it Great?

LTC Dan

Time to stoke the rumor mill. :) Last week I was scrolling through the Windstar Facebook site, and I came across a photograph of the Wind Surf in New York City harbor in 1990, apparently on her maiden voyage. I wrote this:

"I would so adore a chance at a New England sailing on Wind Surf. Maybe someday they can assemble a nice trans-Atlantic arc from Lisbon all the way to St. Maarten at the end of the European season. I could imagine three separate segments, Lisbon-Dublin, then Dublin-New York City, and then New York City-St. Maarten. That is, if the weather would be feasible that time of year. I know the New England coast would be gorgeous in the Fall."

Three hours later, Windstar Cruises wrote back as follows: "Stay tuned, Danny! Big news will be coming in Spring :)"

Now I can't claim to be a clairvoyant, but it will be way cool if they do, indeed, come up with transatlantic itineraries starting in Dublin. We have a son that lives in Manhattan, and we've never taken in the Fall seasonal colors of New England. Time for a cruise up north! :D

I would love to see a new build someday, dandee2, but continue to hope for a miracle -- a motor-assisted sailing yacht like Wind Surf, Wind Star, or Wind Spirit. Most people think that kind of vessel would be cost-prohibitive, but I'll stubbornly hope it'll happen. I've heard others like you speculate that we could get a new build designed for cold water sailing excursions (with a heavy hull for ice), and that's less of a stretch. Then one of the motor yachts like the Star Legend could re-deploy to New England. So your idea could work.

Back to my original thought, the North Atlantic leg transit from Dublin to New York City might not be too appealing to some folks. But anything along the east cost would be very appealing and a less-marketed alternative, at least I would think so. So there are many itinerary options that could be pieced together for anything from New Brunswick to the Florida coast.

We'll see what they have in mind. I'm predicting something will be inserted into the overall schedule beginning in 2018.

The shipyard in Romania who is designing and building an expedition type cruise vessel (almost identical in size and passenger as the Legend) has a letter of intent from an undisclosed international cruise line company. Delivery 2019. Financing and other details still in the works. Supposed to be announced who that Cruise Line is in 1Q2017.

Just dreamin'

The shipyard in Romania who is designing and building an expedition type cruise vessel (almost identical in size and passenger as the Legend) has a letter of intent from an undisclosed international cruise line company. Delivery 2019. Financing and other details still in the works. Supposed to be announced who that Cruise Line is in 1Q2017.

Alaska might not be considered Polar Ice area but new regulation in place since last year (wider corridor for passengers wearing winter equipment-environmentally safer, etc) would not permit the Legend to venture in Arctic or Antarctic area. Buying an older used vessel for such a purpose would not be a wise move as the ship will not be permitted to sail those seas at all.

Expensive but they know how to finance such a venture. And don't forget, Xanterra Parks bought all 3 sail ship for about 39$M way back in 2012. A deal!

Good read here: http://worldmaritimenews.com/archives/184465/1st-polar-class-cruise-ships-coming-to-market/

Just dreamin'

Dandee2, the tea leaves sure seem to support your theory -- new expedition-style ship for Windstar in 2019. If true, the company could then do any number of things with that resource:

1) Do North Atlantic sailings from Dublin to NTC many times a year, with occasional side trips far into the Arctic Circle.

2) Set up home permanently in Canada, Alaska and the Northern Pacific rim, or

3) Go anywhere else that has a lot of ice year-around.

Like you said, that might free up Star Legend to start doing frequent sailings in New England, Montreal, Quebec City, or even further south to Bermuda and Charleston. Makes a lot of sense, especially since the tall-masted vessels like Wind Surf can't navigate the St. Lawrence Seaway all the way to Montreal due to limited overhead clearance at bridges.

I'm starting to get used to the idea that Windstar will enter the New England market with one of the motor yachts. But I want to try out Windsurf for our next cruise, and it surely would be awesome to see Windsurf make a grand appearance in New York City harbor.

Dandee2, the tea leaves sure seem to support your theory -- new expedition-style ship for Windstar in 2019. If true, the company could then do any number of things with that resource:

1) Do North Atlantic sailings from Dublin to NTC many times a year, with occasional side trips far into the Arctic Circle.

2) Set up home permanently in Canada, Alaska and the Northern Pacific rim, or

3) Go anywhere else that has a lot of ice year-around.

Like you said, that might free up Star Legend to start doing frequent sailings in New England, Montreal, Quebec City, or even further south beyond New York City to Bermuda and Charleston. Makes a lot of sense, especially since the tall-masted vessels like Wind Surf can't navigate the St. Lawrence Seaway all the way to Montreal due to limited overhead clearance at bridges.

I'm starting to get used to the idea that Windstar will enter the New England market with one of the motor yachts. But I want to try out Windsurf for our next cruise, and it surely would be awesome to see Windsurf make a grand appearance in New York City harbor.

Like you said, that might free up Star Legend to start doing frequent sailings in New England, Montreal, Quebec City, or even further south beyond New York City to Bermuda and Charleston. Makes a lot of sense, especially since the tall-masted vessels like Wind Surf can't navigate the St. Lawrence Seaway all the way to Montreal due to limited overhead clearance at bridges.

That would help Windstar in our neck of the wood. Publicity wise, most everyone I talk to about WS just draw a blank. Mention Club Med 1 and then they go WOW!

But don't forget, Windsurf was designed in the 80's. Pretty sure it need upgrading to meet today's environmental regulation in US and Canadian coast. But then I'm no engineer. So . . . .

And guess who's coming to the East Coast of Canada this summer: http://www.rdv2017.com/en/

Dan - Now that is a very interesting tidbit. I've been looking into a transatlantic and the standard Med to Caribbean runs look OK, a Dublin to NYC would definitely be something we would love to do. Don't want to get my hopes up too high but it is fun to imagine.

Howellmc, you are right! It would be fantastic to see Wind Surf sailing on those waters. The current transatlantic repositioning cruises are so straight-shot and over-and-done-with. But to make a gradual arc from Portugal all the way to the Caribbean, in multiple legs, would give lots of renewed interest. Love new itineraries, especially for the Wind Surf. Dream on.

And guess who's coming to the East Coast of Canada this summer: http://www.rdv2017.com/en/

My God, dandee2, this could be it! If vast numbers of tall ships are going to Quebec City in a grand regatta this Summer, why in the world would Windstar miss this event? The St. Lawrence Seaway is navigable for quite some distance, and from this publicity release its apparent that the tall ships can make it this far. I knew that there were several bridges further on, with limited overhead clearance, so making it to Montreal would be a no-go.

I must say, this would be a dream come true. We were planning on taking a bit to save up for the next cruise. But if Wind Surf makes an appearance for this event, we will be on board for sure.

Sorry to get so over-the-top excited, especially since I'm going to have to dump a bucket of cold water all over myself. As much as I'd love Wind Surf or Wind star to participate in this Canadian Regatta in the Summer of 2017, of course it won't happen. Both ships are already locked-in with commitments to sail in Northern Europe and the Mediterranean, respectively. I can get so wound up and lose track of reality when I'm hit with a fantasy. :o :) ;)

We are very interested in Antarctica within the next half dozen years, and have been toggling between Lonblad/NatGeo, Quark, and SilverSea. Would jump onto Windstar in a NY minute IF they had a purpose built expedition ship. Wouldn't do Antarctica on any of the current builds as they are not ice class A0 or higher ships.

One more little tidbit / observation / etc. Chalk it up to wishful thinking (based on a whole bunch of "if's"), because there's no indication yet that it could possibly be true. Surely it's a pipe dream, but here goes:

For a long time many of us have been fantasizing about how cool it would be if Xanterra purchased Club Med 2 to have a second five-masted beauty in the Windstar fleet. (If anyone wanted my opinion, personally I'd call it "Wind Serenade", an homage to the dearly departed "Wing Song", but that's neither here nor there.)

I can't for the life of me find a complete itinerary for the Club Med 2 for this year (that company's website stinks), but for all we know perhaps Club Med 2 is signed on to be a participant in the regatta that dandee2 wrote about. So IF that were true, and IF there is a top secret deal in the works, then maybe Windstar will announce a Canadian/New England voyage for later this year for their latest expansion move.

Hey, call me a wild-eyed optimist. It could happen. :D

I have a bit of information that might help. I have been asking since 2005 when they will buy the Med II ship,I have been told that they have offered and tried. At one point Club Med wanted a huge sum of money. Now, I do believe the Chinese bought Club Med. So who knows what will happen. As for US ports. They used to go out of Florida and I was told they left US ports because US immigration was so difficult and the crew was often detained which caused many difficulties, I do know that no crew are routed through the US because of difficulties. Now it must be worse. I was told that these people who we have all experienced nothing but fabulous service have been mistreated by our customs therefore avoidance. I was also told about the ships ( sailing ) they do not comply with some coast guard regulations I have no idea which. Everytime I am on board I ask two questions when Club Med II and when back to US ports and have received these consistent answers always.

Having sailed the North Atlantic for my entire life it is cold and rough, sometimes even in the summer. I will take trans Atlantics any day in the South Atlantic. We took a supply ship up the entire St. Lawrence to where it meets the Atlantic( Blanc-Sablon ) last August which was glorious but cold! Happy Sailing all.

Hi Strenz. Really liked your Paul Harvey "The Rest of the Story". I've heard the acquisition barriers from other sources, too, so I guess the dream of acquiring Club Med 2 will remain just that, a dream. Bummer. I hadn't heard about US ports being so much of a hassle that Windstar gave up using them. That really limits the market options a lot.

If Windstar never adds the St. Lawrence Seaway and the New England coast to the catalog, then I'll use another cruise line to fulfill that bucket list item.

I live on Cape Cod our coast and that of NE is beautiful. The St. Lawerence is spectacular. We have cruised it twice with a supply ship. If you go email me I can tell you lots and especially ask about Battle Harbour, the old, continious fishing station in N. America now a historical site. Coast of Quebec is magnificient. Happy Sailing.

Good news. Had dinner tonight with an officer on Star Legend who confirmed Windstar would be doing a Montreal to New York itinerary with embarkation in NY and Montreal in fall of 2018. Ports would likely include Quebec City, Prince Edward Island, Halifax, Bar Harbor. It will either be Breeze or Pride. He also said the Legend would be going to South America after Alaska and down to Antarctica. Wow

He also said the Legend would be going to South America after Alaska and down to Antarctica. Wow

Would be surprising that the Legend would sail Antarctica. Everybody buildings new ship that meets more stringent regulations. I doubt the Legend meets them. However, stay tune, WS might have a plan :)

IMO, the Alaska Legend sailing are trial runs in colder weather and to gauge passengers comments.