OK, NOW, what did we forget (Cont'd)?

CajunCpl

Calling all professional cruisers,

Here's what us newbies have accomplished and got together so far with ya'lls help 3 weeks out..

Online check-in done, not heard from travel agency yet on docs/tags, and notice 4/1/15 finally from RC they are ready. Will check on this week, TA earlier said would be inside 3 weeks. :eek:

Motel room done, parking spot done, trip insurance done, excursions done (but still flexible), credit card companies notified, signed onto Gov. STEP site and notified the embassies, Hep A/B, Flu, Tetanus, Pneumonia vaccinations, duct tape, plastic/magnetic clips, thermal cups, plastic bags, 3-way outlet, notepad/cell/chargers/cables, alarm clock, wristwatch, flashlight, binoculars, camera w/extra mem card, double tags and wire ties on luggage, lanyards, RX/OTC/1st aid inc. motion sickness, clock, hats, sunglasses, hand sanitizer, post-it notes, highlighter, Kleenex, wipes, detergent, Tide stain remover, hair clip, umbrella, tote bag, lotion, hanging door caddy, 2 bottles of wine.

Pre-Boarding > Scotchguarded backpack loaded with ID/paperwork, RX & essentials, hat, water, swimsuit, and umbrella/raincoat.

On shore (varies) > photo id, copy of passport with embassy/ship numbers, $ small bills $, credit card, sunscreen, water, sunglasses, 1st aid, bug spray, wipes, waterproof camera, cell phone (no service available) with GPS and WI-Fi locating and downloaded local map software, Witz waterproof boxes, toilet paper, wipes, lens cleaners, hand towel, more.

Not sure if OK to bring - extension cord or power strip, large pressurized cans of anything like hairspray (we're not flying). Looks like we're gonna show up with just 1 large (on wheels), 1 medium, 1 small suitcase (on wheels), and a backpack.

Whew! :rolleyes:

Don't forget ear plugs. There is always some loadmouth drunk walking the hall at 2:00A.M. talking as loudly as they can. I should include kids, too. Seems like parents just turn them loose when they get onboard.

Here's what us newbies have accomplished and got together so far with ya'lls help 3 weeks out..

Online check-in done, not heard from travel agency yet on docs/tags, and notice 4/1/15 finally from RC they are ready. Will check on this week, TA earlier said would be inside 3 weeks. :eek:

Motel room done, parking spot done, trip insurance done, excursions done (but still flexible), credit card companies notified, signed onto Gov. STEP site and notified the embassies, Hep A/B, Flu, Tetanus, Pneumonia vaccinations, duct tape, plastic/magnetic clips, thermal cups, plastic bags, 3-way outlet, notepad/cell/chargers/cables, alarm clock, wristwatch, flashlight, binoculars, camera w/extra mem card, double tags and wire ties on luggage, lanyards, RX/OTC/1st aid inc. motion sickness, clock, hats, sunglasses, hand sanitizer, post-it notes, highlighter, Kleenex, wipes, detergent, Tide stain remover, hair clip, umbrella, tote bag, lotion, hanging door caddy, 2 bottles of wine.

Pre-Boarding > Scotchguarded backpack loaded with ID/paperwork, RX & essentials, hat, water, swimsuit, and umbrella/raincoat.

On shore (varies) > photo id, copy of passport with embassy/ship numbers, $ small bills $, credit card, sunscreen, water, sunglasses, 1st aid, bug spray, wipes, waterproof camera, cell phone (no service available) with GPS and WI-Fi locating and downloaded local map software, Witz waterproof boxes, toilet paper, wipes, lens cleaners, hand towel, more.

Not sure if OK to bring - extension cord or power strip, large pressurized cans of anything like hairspray (we're not flying). Looks like we're gonna show up with just 1 large (on wheels), 1 medium, 1 small suitcase (on wheels), and a backpack.

I think some of these things are overkill. Notifying embassies? Seriously? We were in Russia on our last cruise and I never even gave that one a second thought.

Easy to tell you are not flying!

Seriously though, I think it's a little over-kill, but if it makes you comfortable, go for it! You can take aerosols, such as hairspray, without any problem.

Have a wonderful cruise, relax, and don't try to over organize everything!

I think some of these things are overkill. Notifying embassies? Seriously? We were in Russia on our last cruise and I never even gave that one a second thought.

LOL--I was thinking the same thing! I wouldn't carry the embassy phone number with me either. I think some people think that consulate services are more than they actually will do for you--which is almost nothing except help replace a lost/stolen passport and make a call to someone in the USA for you if you are arrested or hit by a bus. But that's about it.

Edited by ducklite

Where are you going? I would leave the raincoat at home and just bring along disposable rain ponchos you can get from the dollar store. They take up a lot less space than a raincoat. You are also bringing an alarm clock and a clock - is a room clock a necessity for you?

If you are bringing tissues, I would skip the bathroom tissue - again, not necessary. Kleenex tissues are suitable for restrooms on shore where they don't supply some. Don't use toilet tissue from home in your cabin - your neighbours will be very unhappy when the sewage lines clog up and they (and you) can't flush your toilets.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Where are you going? I would leave the raincoat at home and just bring along disposable rain ponchos you can get from the dollar store. They take up a lot less space than a raincoat. You are also bringing an alarm clock and a clock - is a room clock a necessity for you?

If you are bringing tissues, I would skip the bathroom tissue - again, not necessary. Kleenex tissues are suitable for restrooms on shore where they don't supply some. Don't use toilet tissue from home in your cabin - your neighbours will be very unhappy when the sewage lines clog up and they (and you) can't flush your toilets.

As I posted above, truly think the list is overkill, however, I definitely would bring an alarm clock, e.g. small travel alarm. Normally cruise RC and they do not have clocks in the cabin. The phone is the "clock" and you can use it for a wake-up call, however, you can't read the time on it very easily - need to have cabin light on to really see it. A small clock is handy just to see what time it is during the night if you wake, or even when getting ready to go some place.

Also, agree strongly about using Kleenex-type, baby wipes, etc. or other toilet paper - you will block the entire system - if you must use for make-up removal or just for freshness make sure you put in the trash can and not down the toilet.

Oh my, they are going to Roatan, Belize and Cozumel.

I believe the OP is trying to err on the side of caution, but is overdoing it just a bit. Try to relax and enjoy the experience.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

unless you are traveling to the Middle East or Africa.

I second bringing a very lightweight alarm clock. Make sure it is battery powered as the current is a bit funky and you may lose or gain minutes each day.

Edited by Markanddonna

What I meant by a "room clock" was a clock that likely went on a wall. We always travel with a battery operated clock, and I always wear my digital watch that has an alarm built into it as well.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Ah, the excitement of new cruisers. Gotta love it. :)

You might not need both a 3-way outlet and power strip. I personally prefer the power strip; I just got this one for my last trip. Love it!

You also might want to throw in an insulated travel mug of some sort. The coffee cups can be small, and they are also good for a cold beverage by the pool. :)

Um, don't forget your clothes & swimsuits. I think I packed like that for our first cruise too. Now for a 10-14 night I pack two or three swimsuits, a coverup (rash guard if I'm snorkeling), 2 capris (in dry tech material), 6 tops (dry tech material), 1 pair water sandals (Teva), one pair black silk pants, 3-4 sparkly tops, 1 pair dressy sandals. A pashmina that goes with everything. Buy my sunscreen at the port. Pack 30 days worth of prescription meds, my daily makeup, a curling iron,, a ball cap, wall magnets, a digital watch (with light & alarm), a led candle for bathroom, my ebook, & charger, cameras (yup, 3 of the suckers with their chargers & extra batteries) & cash. I could go in carryon but normally put it in a 25" wheeled case. Enjoy your first cruise, we did that itinerary last November

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't forget ear plugs. There is always some loadmouth drunk walking the hall at 2:00A.M. talking as loudly as they can. I should include kids, too. Seems like parents just turn them loose when they get onboard.

Hmmm....I always bring ear plugs so I can sleep next to DH :D:o.

Ok, appreciate all the feedback here. We're not paranoid here, just ex Mil/Boy scout type, :)

Didn't mention I do have earplugs packed.

Also have a new little batt powered desktop alarm clock.

Raincoat is a thin, small, roll up type. Poncho may be better choice thou.

Notifying Embassies online was suggested by US Gov., it's just another number in the cell phone, so why not.

We both already had Hep b shots, Hep a was recommended for one of these countries and to others we plan on traveling to. So again, just got shot 1 done, shot 2 is months away.

Toilet paper, small amount for on shore, not planning on using it in room.

3-way outlet packed, though a strip or ext cord would be nice too. Lots of stuff to recharge.

Insulated travel mugs for hot/cold packed.

New cheap water resistant watch packed, for ship time.

Liquid handsoap could be useful.

Air Freshener is a thought.

Edited by CajunCpl

I believe OP has the waterproof wallet - see bolding above. He hasn't really left much to chance!

I believe OP has the waterproof wallet - see bolding above. He hasn't really left much to chance!

I suppose you might be correct - but he did specify Witz Waterproof Boxes - not their ID badge case - which is what would work at the beach. Given the plethora of detail, I assumed he was concened about securing his electronics from water damage, rather than carrying minor items on his person.

What have you forgotten?

Honestly, you've forgotten to pack half as much stuff and twice as much money. I suggest you unpack. Start with the 4 different timing devices (clock, alarm clock, wristwatch, cell phone)

Edited by Lerin

t may depend on your itinerary but the one's I've changed to red I personally have never bothered with.

The power strip will vary from line to line.

They have hand sanitizer by the truck load, along with toilet paper and tissues you can also get duct tape just ask your steward.

Hair spray and other such cans are not a problem.

Waterproof camera will very much depend on where you are going. would also want more than 2 memory cards.

But hey if you're happy with what you are taking go for it.

My waterproof camera ($240) is just a neat little pocket size Panasonic hd digital, that I use kayaking on a helmet, w/64gb of storage, and can then transfer files to notepad if necessary. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Waterproof-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B00728ZC1A

I have pens, paper, & highlighters packed.

Both small sized waterproof holders, one even fits in pocket of swimsuit, cause we are doing several water activities. Yes, my itinerary plans play a lot into this.

1436398430_Chester9Sm(Small).jpg.622fca2086d657979e117a8eb676fb93.jpg