Do you 'Roll' or 'Fold' when you pack?

dotsonga

Does 'rolling' really work with the space that you use and does it really not wrinkle what you roll? I'm trying to only make it with a carry on each was just wondering if 'rolling' would really make a difference. Thanks and Happy Sailing.

I do neither that's what wives are for.

She tries to fold as little as possible, so trousers fold just once.

Some other things that either don't wrinkle or aren't seen just get stuffed whereever they fit.

Everyone needs to find what works for them.

Sis folds and uses compression bags. I roll and use packing cubes for most things. Pants are folded into a packing cube or folder.

She tries to fold as little as possible, so trousers fold just once.

Some other things that either don't wrinkle or aren't seen just get stuffed whereever they fit.

:p Gut 2407 you're a funny guy! Well, I am the wife so that's what I do too...LOL

Sis folds and uses compression bags. I roll and use packing cubes for most things. Pants are folded into a packing cube or folder.

Thanks Karen and Sadie, guess I'll just have to see what works best for me. Probably a mixture of both. Guess I'll have a practice packing session to see what works best. Only 18 days to find out.

Does 'rolling' really work with the space that you use and does it really not wrinkle what you roll? I'm trying to only make it with a carry on each was just wondering if 'rolling' would really make a difference. Thanks and Happy Sailing.

I roll and put in a packing cube. Seems to work for less wrinkles. I hang pants and shirts when I get there and use a little downy wrinkle releaser.

I mostly fold. But I roll some items to fit in the nooks and crannies of the bag.

Sorry. I think I may be dumb about packing but, what is a packing cube?

Think of them as fancy ziplock bags though most are not waterproof.

ebags.com has lots of them. I've purchased them thru ebags, REI, Sport Chalet. Also seen them at Target and Walmart. There are lots of different types and sizes.

Only a few are needed.

Search 'cubes' on the Fashion board and lots of good threads will pop up.

Edited by SadieN

I fold neatly and Ziplock, and my clothes arrive wrinkle free. Been doing it that way for years and it has never failed!! I also layer slacks with plastic bags to prevent creasing in fold lines.

I use the 2 1/2 gallon ziplock bags, and use the same ones over and over.. No need to buy expensive cubes or folders.

That doesn't work here. SWMBO only packs for herself and Kid. If I don't pack my own stuff I only have the clothes on my back :o

We use packing cubes, easier to unpack, just take them out and drop them into the drawer. Underwear and socks are fillers.

+1

I roll some things, like t-shirts/underwear/shorts, and fold others, like pants/shirts. But everything goes into a packing cube. I've found it's easier to pack and unpack when everything is unitized in a packing cube.

If the TSA wants to go through your bag, the cubes are easier to deal with than a pile of rolled clothes on the stainless steel counter. Unpacking in the cabin is faster too. The socks/underwear/workout clothes stay in the cubes and go into a drawer or onto a shelf, the pants, shirts, t-shirts go on hangers in the closet. If we aren't staying put, I keep everything in the cubes, in my travel bag.

In the past I've left things behind while traveling. In the rush to get up and out of a room to get to the next place, I've forgotten things. The cubes help limit leaving stuff behind. When I unpack, I know how full each cube is. When I repack, if one isn't quite so full, I know I'm missing something.

It's taken a while to get to this system, but I think I've finally hit on something that works for me.

I know I could probably get more in a carry-on by not using the cubes, but since I try to take a little less each trip anyway, the cubes are a great limiter for me.

I also like compression bags. I've used them to pack bulky clothes like fleece vests/jackets, and sweaters. They can also double as a "wet" bag if you need to pack damp clothes.

I do a combination of rolling and folding, but everything goes into zip-lock bags. T-shirts, sleepwear, underwear and socks all get rolled. DH's shirts get folded and placed with neckline opposite each other, 2 in a bag. Pants and shorts are inter-folded. My formal wear is jersey knit, so it gets rolled along with my sparkly tops, and DH's tux is folded into its own large zip-lock. I make a list of everything in our 2 pieces of luggage so if we are looking for a particular item of clothing, a quick glance at the list tells where to find it. We also cross pack putting his and hers in both suitcases in case one of them (the suitcases) decides to go on it's own holiday.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)