Medical services on Oceania

p598738

My wife has a long term picc line installed. A picc line infuses medicines as required or 7x24. She has a 1 hour infusion each day and a 24 hour pump driven treatment. I am able to take care of each. Beyond this she has to have a dressing changed once per week and requires a blood test once per week. I know the ships have a Dr and nurse on board. Either could easily change the dressing. Has anyone run into a situation like this ? Does anyone know what we might be charged ?

The blood test is another issue. Again, can anyone tell me about lab work on the ships ? Availability and costs maybe. Another option may be to have blood taken and the testing done in port and have the results. We could also handle this.

I talked to Oceania but the costs of what I am looking for seemed vague and maybe unreliable. I would like to hear of anyone's experience.

We have not yet booked but are looking at 10 days or more.

Thanks very much.

I would look for another line with larger ships and more complete facilities.On WC segments my cabinmate had several medical issues. Each Dr. visit cost her $80 as I recall. I think she came off with an $800 bill! No Xrays. I doubt any lab facilities either. Do not rely on any info from cruise agents, not their dept .Not a line for medically needy. Never saw so many skinny, healthy over 70 cruisers.

We were on one of the bigger "O:" ships, The medical was really good on that trip. My partner had to have some blood work up (2times) on the trip. Couldn't have asked for more. At one point they were thinking we'd have to leave the cruise, but after testing again wasn't problem. It is costly, however we had cruise insurance. After sending bi8lls to are health insurance at home, they paid some and the cruise insurance paid the rest.

We had to go to the medical department 6 times on the cruise, and once at 2AM to see the doctor. After hours cost a lot more-I think double but not sure.

We were on one of the bigger "O:" ships, The medical was really good on that trip. My partner had to have some blood work up (2times) on the trip. Couldn't have asked for more. At one point they were thinking we'd have to leave the cruise, but after testing again wasn't problem. It is costly, however we had cruise insurance. After sending bi8lls to are health insurance at home, they paid some and the cruise insurance paid the rest.

We had to go to the medical department 6 times on the cruise, and once at 2AM to see the doctor. After hours cost a lot more-I think double but not sure.

We are looking at Marina. Another reply suggested $80 per visit. Is that close ? Do you know what the blood work cost ? Our situation would be a 'pre existing condition' ergo no trip insurance payment. I think I could submit bills to my secondary back in the States as they cover costs incurred outside of the US. Thanks.

We are looking at Marina. Another reply suggested $80 per visit. Is that close ? Do you know what the blood work cost ? Our situation would be a 'pre existing condition' ergo no trip insurance payment. I think I could submit bills to my secondary back in the States as they cover costs incurred outside of the US. Thanks.

Sorry but I don't recall, but costly. Some insurance co. give you pre-existing conditions if you buy the insurance within 10 days of you deposit, and some if you buy before final payment. Check them out. It was on the Marina, nice area-however it depends on the Doctor that's on the cruise. We had a great team of both Doctor and RN's.

I'm thinking the blood test were in the area of $400.00, but got result really fast and because of that we could react to the med's taken. Hope this helps.

Rick

I was on Regatta in January 2017 and visited the medical center. When you sign the medical authorization form, you are provided with a two page listing of all of the medical center's fees. My regular visit cost $149 (off hours, it's $189). There's listing of all laboratory services that can be performed on the ship as well. Perhaps you can ask Oceania for a copy of this form entitled "Medical Services Bill."

Sorry forgot to say, when something is wrong and you know going on the cruise make sure your ports of call have good medical. Also you don't want a lot of back to back sea days, you want to be able to get of the ship for the care you may need. Once you have that care if it's not over night you have time to get back to the ship that day or catch in other city.

I was on Regatta in January 2017 and visited the medical center. When you sign the medical authorization form, you are provided with a two page listing of all of the medical center's fees. My regular visit cost $149 (off hours, it's $189). There's listing of all laboratory services that can be performed on the ship as well. Perhaps you can ask Oceania for a copy of this form entitled "Medical Services Bill."

Actually that is very reasonable. About the same as an office visit in my office.

My wife has a long term picc line installed. A picc line infuses medicines as required or 7x24. She has a 1 hour infusion each day and a 24 hour pump driven treatment. I am able to take care of each. Beyond this she has to have a dressing changed once per week and requires a blood test once per week. I know the ships have a Dr and nurse on board. Either could easily change the dressing. Has anyone run into a situation like this ? Does anyone know what we might be charged ?

The blood test is another issue. Again, can anyone tell me about lab work on the ships ? Availability and costs maybe. Another option may be to have blood taken and the testing done in port and have the results. We could also handle this.

I talked to Oceania but the costs of what I am looking for seemed vague and maybe unreliable. I would like to hear of anyone's experience.

We have not yet booked but are looking at 10 days or more.

Thanks very much.

You should easily be able to learn how to change the dressing yourself. Your doctors office or home health nurse should be able to give you all the supplies. I am a doctor, and we regularly teach patients and their families how to change dressings.

As far as the blood test, they should be able to tell you how much it will cost. If it is a fairly common test, they will be able to do it onboard. They probably will charge you an office visit along with the charge for the test. Would if you were not a regular patient. That is just fair because they are taking the liability for interpreting the test results.

We were on the Sirena in December. My wife had an acute attack of diverticulitis in the middle of the night. Had to be treated initially with IV antibiotics and later with oral meds. Medical staff was wonderful ... equipment was top-notch (Sirena had just gone through a mojor drydock). They were able to run complete blood work-up within a few minutes. One thing not so nice ... the bill ... OUCH!

I have attached one of the medical worksheets that have pricing for the various procedural codes - personal info has been redacted.

Extracted pgs -Med Ctr Bills.pdf

These reports are very reassuring. You never know.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Only had reason to use the medical services once on Regatta when I cut my finger and it became infected. Excellent treatment received with the problem resolved in days. Don't pick up sharp shells on beaches was the lesson learned, and my medical plan paid for the bill after the paperwork was all submitted, so keep your copy of the receipt.:)

We were on the Sirena in December. My wife had an acute attack of diverticulitis in the middle of the night. Had to be treated initially with IV antibiotics and later with oral meds. Medical staff was wonderful ... equipment was top-notch (Sirena had just gone through a mojor drydock). They were able to run complete blood work-up within a few minutes. One thing not so nice ... the bill ... OUCH!

I have attached one of the medical worksheets that have pricing for the various procedural codes - personal info has been redacted.

Very helpful. Thanks very much.

Thanks for posting the worksheet. However, your wife's personal information has NOT been redacted.

Dave

Husband woke up with Kidney stones and had to have two IVs, excellent care from Dr and nurses. Bill was outrageous, but doc made sure we left with all the needed paperwork, arranged for us to contact trip insurance carrier while on board and when we got home we got full reimbursement.

Guess it depends on doc, facilities were pretty impressive on O ships.

Believe it or not, those prices are pretty much in line with what you would pay in my office on land if you had come in as a cash pay patient. Most people who cruise have insurance so are used to having the contracted write offs that have been agreed upon with the insurance companies applied to their bill before they even see it. Cash pay is way more expensive--usually at least double.

First of all, kudos to you both for traveling!

At some stage of our travels, we thought Oceania consulted with Cleveland Clinic. Do they still?

We are in Florida and have been using the Cleveland Clinic. I don't know about Oceania.

Sadly, the CC advice is not to cruise.

Wait, when CC was used regarding the recommendation not to cruise, who made that comment....Cleveland Clinic?? Cruise Critic?

The Cleveland Clinic Infectionist is suggesting that we do not take the planned cruise. The two most important issues are the 'shelf life' of the meds (they are good from 7 to 10 days only) and the possible need to change the mix during the cruise (based upon the blood work).

We are very disappointed as we had booked for Feb 25.

The Cleveland Clinic Infectionist is suggesting that we do not take the planned cruise. The two most important issues are the 'shelf life' of the meds (they are good from 7 to 10 days only) and the possible need to change the mix during the cruise (based upon the blood work).

We are very disappointed as we had booked for Feb 25.

How long is the cruise?

Could you not pick up the meds the day you leave

I am sure the Doctor onboard could store them if that is needed & adjust them also if needed from the blood work

You could take a note from your doctor on what the blood work & meds should be in your DW case

But best to follow your doctor's advice they know the situation best

My husband miscalculated the number of pills needed for the cruise. He was about 6 pills short. I think it was lipitor. The doctor on the Riviera charged him $400. He didn't need an exam, so the price was a little excessive.