Bringing drinks on board

catperson02

For our cruise from Southampton this summer I am planning on taking advantage of P&Os generous policies and bringing a couple of boxes of wine and some soft drinks. As the frugal Yorkshire woman that I am I have started purchasing these when I have spied them on offer. Now looking at the small pile in the spare room (not drinking, just looking honest) I am now wondering how on earth to get them on board. If I put them in the suitcases (plan A) I am concerned that when they are bounced about by the baggage handlers I may get some very soggy clothes when the cases are delivered and it will make the cases very heavy. Plan B was to fill some small pull along cases and drag them on as hand luggage - still very heavy and even with cabins ready upon boarding a right pain to lug around. Plan C is to tape the boxes and soft drinks together with copious amounts of duct tape into 2 or 3 packages and stick a luggage label on each. Would this be an option or would it be frowned on?

I am sure that someone has worked out the best way to do this so I would be very grateful for your advice or experiences.

Usually people put any alcohol they are taking into a wheeled case and take it on as hand luggage. Personally I wouldn't put any into hold luggage as the cases do tend to get thrown around when loading. As for your Plan C I think, only my thought, that P&O may well think that cases of alcohol packed like that was taking advantage of their generous alcohol policy. We usually take a bottle of champagne, a bottle of Pimms (can't buy it by the bottle on board) and some squash and maybe enough lemonade to have a couple of glasses of Pimms and then buy the rest of lemonade and other soft drinks on board. In the past we've take bottles of whiskey and gin although we don't tend to these days. I've certainly known of people who take a wine box and I would think you could get two wine boxes into a wheel on case. Others may have a different opinion from mine but I certainly think packaging alcohol and other drinks separately and trying to send them on board could be a problem.

For our cruise from Southampton this summer I am planning on taking advantage of P&Os generous policies and bringing a couple of boxes of wine and some soft drinks. As the frugal Yorkshire woman that I am I have started purchasing these when I have spied them on offer. Now looking at the small pile in the spare room (not drinking, just looking honest) I am now wondering how on earth to get them on board. If I put them in the suitcases (plan A) I am concerned that when they are bounced about by the baggage handlers I may get some very soggy clothes when the cases are delivered and it will make the cases very heavy. Plan B was to fill some small pull along cases and drag them on as hand luggage - still very heavy and even with cabins ready upon boarding a right pain to lug around. Plan C is to tape the boxes and soft drinks together with copious amounts of duct tape into 2 or 3 packages and stick a luggage label on each. Would this be an option or would it be frowned on?

I am sure that someone has worked out the best way to do this so I would be very grateful for your advice or experiences.

It is best not to go over the top and taking to much advantage as they might decide to go down the American route(they are owned by Carnival) and restrict alcohol brought on board and then as we are a captive audience they will make a lot more money.

Love RCCL and P&O.

I recently took a 3 litre wine box with me and packed in my only suitcase.

Situated in the case at the bottom but resting on flip-flops and surrounded by socks etc.

Had no problem at all.

In comparison to flying your case takes a very short distance from dropping off on Southampton cruise terminal to your cabin. Thats not to say it might not be dropped but a lot less likely than the convoluted route it would take through two airports if flying

Also, bear in mind that if you are cruising to Spain, Portugal or Gib., it is possible to buy wine, gin etc in the supermarkets ashore, at a lot less than UK pricing. You don't need to take all your supplies aboard in Southampton!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

It is best not to go over the top and taking to much advantage as they might decide to go down the American route(they are owned by Carnival) and restrict alcohol brought on board and then as we are a captive audience they will make a lot more money.

Love RCCL and P&O.

There may be a riot if they did!

Sounds like you will be spending ALL OF YOUR TIME in the cabin rather than enjoying the ship and its ports of call.

For the amount of time you would actually spend in your cabin I wouldn't even think about taking more than one box.

a bottle of Pimms (can't buy it by the bottle on board) and some squash

I find the pre-mix cans like this (http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317-10001-31547-Pimm's+no+1+&+lemonade.html) quite acceptable, Obviously more expensive than the bottle, but much more forgiving of any rough treatment and you can bring what you need, rather than a whole bottle.

For squash, if you don't want large bottles, these are quite handy (http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=343418).

Sorry but do not see the problem of taking a bottle of spirits, wine or champagne but do think some people are going over the top and abusing what after all is P&Os generous alcohol policy. Do think that if it carries on being abused by some that P&O will go down the route of the majority of cruise lines and ban taking of alcohol onboard.

I don't really want to take a load of cans of Pimms on board. If we have a bottle we can use it as we like - also once took a can of lemonade in a wheel on case and it opened in the case - what a mess! Also I've tried the small squeezy bottles of Robinson's squash and think they are not very nice at all. But thank you for the thought. I agree with the others, that I think the amount the OP wants to take on board may well be seen as going against P&O's very generous rules. They do say they reserve the right to confiscate alcohol and maybe they may think this is a case (sorry) in point.

Thanks, it appears that the small pull along is the way to go. I should point out that we are cruising with my parents and two daughters who are both over 18 and I am in charge of everyone's drinks (well lets face it I appear to be in charge of everything as per usual) so 2 wine boxes between the five of us are not a lot per person. I also have 6 one litre bottles of sparkling water and some cans of Fanta, again not much between the five of us but a lot for me to transport.

I have asked previously but not had a reply whether you can order large bottles of sparkling water on board. I have seen reference to still water and it seems a very reasonable price but no mention of the fizzy stuff. If this is available then I can ditch the sparkling water which means the wine and Fanta will all fit in a small pull along or two which we can use for our overnight things on the last night.

I take a bottle of gin with me but only if I have one in the house, not worth the hassle of buying one and carting it 350 mile to save £2.50 pr £5.00 at the best. I can buy a Ltr bottle from room service for £20.00

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There was no evidence of forms or procedure in the cabin of how to order bottles of spirits from room service when I was on Ventura two weeks ago. Have they perhaps stopped it?

It was still on at Christmas.

I stick a luggage label on a box of 30 Diet Cokes and it's always found it's way to the cabin. I put any wine / spirit bottles in my suitcase wrapped in a towel and then in a small vacuum sealed bag, never had a breakage.

I take a bottle of gin with me but only if I have one in the house, not worth the hassle of buying one and carting it 350 mile to save £2.50 pr £5.00 at the best. I can buy a Ltr bottle from room service for £20.00

Is the room service gin available to all or only in certain cabins/suites?

Thanks

Pat

Is the room service gin available to all or only in certain cabins/suites?

Thanks

Pat

To my knowledge all, never been certain grades of cabin. Everyone has the same room service menu.

• 1 month later...

Ok to take a bottle of your favourite tipple on board but it seems that some folk want to prevent P&O making an honest living!

When P&O put their bar prices up to ensure that profits are being made will anybody wonder why?

Ok to take a bottle of your favourite tipple on board but it seems that some folk want to prevent P&O making an honest living!

When P&O put their bar prices up to ensure that profits are being made will anybody wonder why?

Their bar prices are reasonable and no extra tip on top like the American cruise ships.

We take hardly any alcohol on board, largely because I've come to realise we struggle to drink it and then have the hassle of bringing it back, but we have taken a box on a long cruise, and a bottle or two of fizz. I do take bottles of volvic and Diet Coke and a bottle of skimmed milk and just put them in a wheelie case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Love RCCL and P&O.

Whilst on the Arcadia recently I heard from a reliable source that this is exactly what Carnival intend to do with P&O. and in the not to distant future.

I cannot start to imagine the outcry such a change would cause, although I can believe that it is being considered. Many of us choose P&O because of their drink policy. If such a change is made, I would hope that at the very least a long notice period is given before the new policy is implemented, giving plenty of time to cancel future cruises.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app