Bringing drinks on board

catperson02

I cannot start to imagine the outcry such a change would cause, although I can believe that it is being considered. Many of us choose P&O because of their drink policy. If such a change is made, I would hope that at the very least a long notice period is given before the new policy is implemented, giving plenty of time to cancel future cruises.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

I'm sure a reasonable allowance would be accepted as we all like to bring some of our favourite alcohol on board but at present you can bring unlimited quantities on board from every port so if they don't make money on their alcohol sales (reasonably priced too) other services will suffer.

Many of us choose P&O because of their drink policy.

Given the number of times newcomers to P&O ask about taking alcohol on board I simply don't believe it's that significant a factor in choosing P&O.

This is very interesting as we will be sailing on the Britannia next year!

This year we are sailing on the Crown Princess for our honeymoon and let me tell you it is a whole different ball game on the American ships!

We are allowed on 75cl bottle of wine each, (two per stateroom, which you can only drink in your room) and if you bring any more on you pay $15 per bottle corkage fee, or alternatively you can pay $29 per bottle from the ship plus gratuity!

This year we are sailing on the Crown Princess for our honeymoon and let me tell you it is a whole different ball game on the American ships!

We are allowed on 75cl bottle of wine each, (two per stateroom, which you can only drink in your room) and if you bring any more on you pay $15 per bottle corkage fee, or alternatively you can pay $29 per bottle from the ship plus gratuity!

Thats why we should be grateful but not totally abuse it because they will look at their bar revenue and might decide they are too lenient.

When you are on board you can buy various wine packages that will bring the cost per bottle down by $5 or $6 or so. You need to be sure that you will drink at least 10 bottles on your cruise. We got the 12 bottle package - no problem on a 17 day cruise!

Thats why we should be grateful but not totally abuse it because they will look at their bar revenue and might decide they are too lenient.

True. However, if P&O looked at the bar revenues received from UK Pandoers, they will discover the root of the problem. But, by removing the generous concession from all will not improve the situation, as 'some' UK Pandoers are noted for their extreme thrift.

When you are on board you can buy various wine packages that will bring the cost per bottle down by $5 or $6 or so. You need to be sure that you will drink at least 10 bottles on your cruise. We got the 12 bottle package - no problem on a 17 day cruise!

This is true Wowzz, however it is important to note that the wine packages are only available on 14 day plus cruises and then at the discression of the Cruise Director, I've seen lots of posts on the Princess boards where they are really upset that the wine package is not available due to number of days on board and I remember one post from someone on a 14 day Aussie cruise (on Princess) stating that as the Cruise Director didnt order enough wine for the trip they would be no wine packages!:mad:

The All inclusive drinks package is rediculously expensive and even I couldnt drink £600 worth of alcohol in two weeks. I am afraid that my other half will drink an occasional rum and coke on holiday and he has even been known to finish a meal with a Samucca however on holiday I can easily polish off a between three glasses to a bottle of wine a day so my only hope is the wine package will be available:o either that or we win the lottery lol

This is true Wowzz, however it is important to note that the wine packages are only available on 14 day plus cruises and then at the discression of the Cruise Director, I've seen lots of posts on the Princess boards where they are really upset that the wine package is not available due to number of days on board and I remember one post from someone on a 14 day Aussie cruise (on Princess) stating that as the Cruise Director didnt order enough wine for the trip they would be no wine packages!:mad:

The All inclusive drinks package is rediculously expensive and even I couldnt drink £600 worth of alcohol in two weeks. I am afraid that my other half will drink an occasional rum and coke on holiday and he has even been known to finish a meal with a Samucca however on holiday I can easily polish off a between three glasses to a bottle of wine a day so my only hope is the wine package will be available:o either that or we win the lottery lol

Keep a look out for the Happy Hour, 'buy one, get one for $1' deals. You can ask for the beer to be unopened, and also the minature bottles of fizz.

I guess that you are quoting bottles of beer prices as I have never found any cruise line which offers wine by the bottle for $5 or $6 (unless that is just for the gratuity)

I guess that you are quoting bottles of beer prices as I have never found any cruise line which offers wine by the bottle for $5 or $6 (unless that is just for the gratuity)

No, I said the price per bottle will go down by $5 or $6.

Thanks, it appears that the small pull along is the way to go. I should point out that we are cruising with my parents and two daughters who are both over 18 and I am in charge of everyone's drinks (well lets face it I appear to be in charge of everything as per usual) so 2 wine boxes between the five of us are not a lot per person. I also have 6 one litre bottles of sparkling water and some cans of Fanta, again not much between the five of us but a lot for me to transport.

I have asked previously but not had a reply whether you can order large bottles of sparkling water on board. I have seen reference to still water and it seems a very reasonable price but no mention of the fizzy stuff. If this is available then I can ditch the sparkling water which means the wine and Fanta will all fit in a small pull along or two which we can use for our overnight things on the last night.

Wouldn't bother carrying the water - you can order that from the cabin in 6X1 litre bottles (about £10) and you can always get mixers in port. I take a bottle of Malt and DW takes a bottle of Bacardi and we get her mixers in port. We also take a nice port with us for after dinner and pay the corkage fee.

Have to say that I think there would be much resentment if P and O altered their alcohol policy; the great majority of people do not abuse it. Of course there are ways of getting booze onboard any ship; I've successfully done it on other lines, on the grounds that if you treat me like a naughty schoolgirl then I shall behave like one!

Have to say that I think there would be much resentment if P and O altered their alcohol policy; the great majority of people do not abuse it. Of course there are ways of getting booze onboard any ship; I've successfully done it on other lines, on the grounds that if you treat me like a naughty schoolgirl then I shall behave like one!

It's a wonderful rumour which has been around for years.

You should know my opinion of rumours. Especially coming from staff. They have a long history of starting them and seeing how long it will be kept going and how far it will spread.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It's a wonderful rumour which has been around for years.

You should know my opinion of rumours. Especially coming from staff. They have a long history of starting them and seeing how long it will be kept going and how far it will spread.

Testing the water to see what they can get away with springs to mind.

Testing the water to see what they can get away with springs to mind.

They have a long history of starting rumours. Remember with a closed environment like a cruise ship rumours will spread very easily among the crew.

It has been talked about since internet chat rooms became popular over 13 years ago.

I was told once that Arcadia was so hated by cruisers that she would be leaving the fleet within the year. That was in 2006. That supposedly came from someone very high up in the company.

:). :). :)

Hi,looks like "rumrunners" profits are going to go up in the UK lol,cheers,Brian.

Hi,yes,we do the same on Princess.It reduced our rose from $29 to $21 but then the 15% is added,so still worked out dearer than our £16 rose on Aurora,cheers,Brian.

They have a long history of starting rumours. Remember with a closed environment like a cruise ship rumours will spread very easily among the crew.

It has been talked about since internet chat rooms became popular over 13 years ago.

I was told once that Arcadia was so hated by cruisers that she would be leaving the fleet within the year. That was in 2006. That supposedly came from someone very high up in the company.

:). :). :)

We were on Arcadias i think maiden voyage April 2005 a 7 night Vigo,lisbon France Guernsey cruise the cabins creaked then and the seats in some of the lounges your feet could not touch the ground.

We were on Arcadias i think maiden voyage April 2005 a 7 night Vigo,lisbon France Guernsey cruise the cabins creaked then and the seats in some of the lounges your feet could not touch the ground.
Youre not related to Ronnie Corbett are you lol.

Youre not related to Ronnie Corbett are you lol.

Lol There was 6 of us ranging from 5 foot tall to 6 foot 4 inches.

You obviously had not sailed at that time because some of the sofas and chairs looked nice but were so far from the ground none of us could touch the floor with my feet.

Lol There was 6 of us ranging from 5 foot tall to 6 foot 4 inches.

You obviously had not sailed at that time because some of the sofas and chairs looked nice but were so far from the ground none of us could touch the floor with my feet.

Sure they were not the bar stools? ;). ;)

Sure they were not the bar stools? ;). ;)

The sofas were like for giants in this particular lounge so they probably changed them because at that time in 2005 everyone was complaining about them.