Removing the items in the mini-fridge

Hi all,

Quick question as I have seen conflicting responses on this before. Can you ask your stateroom assistant to remove all the items from the mini fridge when you board? Sometimes I've seen people say you can, other times I've seen people say you can't. When we were on our last sailing, the stateroom assistant said she was unable to empty the mini bar. However, that's not what i have read on here....

Any help? Thanks!

You can always ask the stateroom attendant. Whether they will empty the cooler is another question. We've been told "no" enough that we now empty it outselves, and put a note on the outside saying where we have put the items.

Edited by clarea

I think they CAN empty the fridge but they CANT take the stuff out of the room, so then it depends whether they WILL empty the fridge and pile everything on the desk for you or not.

Once we figured out the cabin stewards cant take the stuff out of the room we stopped asking and just did it ourselves.

I think they CAN empty the fridge but they CANT take the stuff out of the room, so then it depends whether they WILL empty the fridge and pile everything on the desk for you or not.

Once we figured out the cabin stewards cant take the stuff out of the room we stopped asking and just did it ourselves.

How do you make sure you aren't erroneously charged for the stuff if you've removed it yourself? Tell the steward you've done so? Leave a note as someone above suggested? I have no problem with doing it myself, I just don't want to have a mistaken charge.

Thanks.

How do you make sure you aren't erroneously charged for the stuff if you've removed it yourself? Tell the steward you've done so? Leave a note as someone above suggested? I have no problem with doing it myself, I just don't want to have a mistaken charge.

Thanks.

We've emptied the mini fridge ourselves every cruise and never been charged. Either the stuff will go on shelves in the closet or on shelves above the fridge depending on the ship. If you want to be sure then just tape a note to the fridge letting them know where you put the contents.

Thanks.

Leaving a note so that the bar staff who comes in daily to replenish the cooler can see that nothing has been consumed. Also check your SeaPass account daily.

I don’t require space in the chiller; my reason for wanting the mini bar empty is to stop the irritating knock on my door every afternoon with a request to check the mini bar. Normally when I ask for it to be emptied the attendant contacts the mini bar people to take the products out. Ninety-nine percent of the time this happens but on at least two occasions the stateroom attendant has placed the items in a bag under the bed. As long as I don’t have the mini bar people knocking on my door, the items are out of my sight and not taking up space I would normally use, I don’t care what they do them. Never had them refuse my request, however, I have had to contact someone higher up in the food chain to make it happen.

You can always ask the stateroom attendant. Whether they will empty the cooler is another question. We've been told "no" enough that we now empty it outselves, and put a note on the outside saying where we have put the items.

We've emptied the mini fridge ourselves every cruise and never been charged. Either the stuff will go on shelves in the closet or on shelves above the fridge depending on the ship. If you want to be sure then just tape a note to the fridge letting them know where you put the contents.

I am not as lucky. We put the items in the upper cabinet above the fridge, Ours had doors - not just an open shelf. We taped a note on the fridge as well as the cabinet door that the sodas and snacks were inside the upper cabinet. After a few days, we had a note from the bar staff that they cannot open any cabinets and look for fridge contents. We put the items on the couch with a note to have them removed and that seemed to work. We were on a long cruise in a small cabin and did non have any extra counter space to just leave them out. We never through about it again until we were packing to leave. When we looked under the beds to get the suitcase - there were all the items, in a plastic bag.

M

I am not as lucky. We put the items in the upper cabinet above the fridge, Ours had doors - not just an open shelf. We taped a note on the fridge as well as the cabinet door that the sodas and snacks were inside the upper cabinet. After a few days, we had a note from the bar staff that they cannot open any cabinets and look for fridge contents. We put the items on the couch with a note to have them removed and that seemed to work. We were on a long cruise in a small cabin and did non have any extra counter space to just leave them out. We never through about it again until we were packing to leave. When we looked under the beds to get the suitcase - there were all the items, in a plastic bag.

M

Thanks for the tip Marci, keeping the items in plain sight makes sense.

my reason for wanting the mini bar empty is to stop the irritating knock on my door every afternoon with a request to check the mini bar.

I'm not being funny, but wouldn't putting out the "Do not disturb" sign be a lot easier? I always put it out when I... don't want to be disturbed. I've never once had anyone ask to check the mini-bar.

If I'm clearing things out, I never remove anything like chocolate that might melt/bloom/spoil - I'd only ever remove cans and bottles.

Hi all,

Quick question as I have seen conflicting responses on this before. Can you ask your stateroom assistant to remove all the items from the mini fridge when you board? Sometimes I've seen people say you can, other times I've seen people say you can't. When we were on our last sailing, the stateroom assistant said she was unable to empty the mini bar. However, that's not what i have read on here....

Any help? Thanks!

Current RCI policy is that the mini fridge contents are under the purview of the Food and Beverage Department. A bar person is assigned to check the contents and replenish daily. The cabin stewards are not allowed to move the contents of the fridge.

Placing the contents elsewhere on their own is what most do.

As an aside, the bar person is one of those who has a pass key to your cabin and usually checks the fridge contents daily.

Edited by Scotty G

I leave a note for both the cabin steward and the bar personnel stating that I will not be using the mini-bar items and do not want the fridge checked during the week.

This allows the bar personnel to just skip my cabin entirely every day, making their rounds go by just a tad faster.

Thanks all for the great info and advice above. We'll be on our first RCI cruise this fall (the Anthem TA), but it will by no means be our first cruise. We've always had our cabin attendant remove the items in the mini-fridge, so it's helpful to know that on RCI, he or she may decline, and we should not be annoyed by that.

I'll be ready to post a note on the fridge as to where we've put the contents! :)

I know one thing. I would never eat or drink anything out of it. With all the times the stuff is moved in and out and it being cold then hot then cold, I can't imagine it would be any good.

Stuff in cans and bottles would be OK, but the "food" would bother me. That's why I never take it out - out of consideration for future guests who might want it.

If you're prone to afternoon siestas, put out the DND sign and double lock the door. The bar staff tend to knock after the door is open and can be persistent. :D

Edited by Big_G

Stuff in cans and bottles would be OK, but the "food" would bother me. That's why I never take it out - out of consideration for future guests who might want it.

Food is M&Ms and the like. Nothing perishable. ;)