Eclipse or Summit Dec Carib?

JennJohnNYC

I am a professional business owner who makes important decisions every day....I promise :), but I'm struggling with this simple one!

Trying to decide between an 11 day Eclipse cruise from Miami or 10 day Summit out of San Juan. The Eclipse would be in a Celebrity Suite and the Summit in the Penthouse.

The islands are not that important to us since we've been many times to most of them, but the Eclipse has 4 sea days vs 1 sea day on the Summit.

Summit is our favorite ship and either trip requires a flight from NY.

Hubby says go for the more sea days, but I kinda like the idea of the penthouse suite again...we had the penthouse this past summer to Bermuda and it was amazing!

I know, I know, tough decisions!

Honestly and on a serious note, I've truly been glued to the news about the horrific circumstances these folks are going through in Texas. This is my temp diversion.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Go for the Summit if you really want the bigger suite. Since you have already been to many of the ports you can make a few of those into extra relaxation days for yourselves. The ship will be pretty empty while in port so you can enjoy the pools etc without the crowds.

My question is are you talking cruising this Dec? The reason I ask is that the Summit has been chartered a number of times out of PR. If your cruise is this Dec then your probably safe from your cruise being chartered.

For most cruises we prefer the S class ships for their lay out, additional dining venues and light and airiness.

However, for a Caribbean crash out it has to be the Summit PH....All those wonderful al fresco breakfasts, your well stocked butlers pantry, sun loungers in both the sun and shade....We loved our Summit PH crash, we told our butler last day we had thought about barricading ourselves in with the grand piano!

The S class CS is not our favourite suite, we don't like the 'internal' bedroom nor the fact there is no real dining space. Some people love this suite, so don't take my word for it, get on you tube and see what you think. We have frequently cruised the S class RS (much better room and all perks included) and even once tried the PH on Eclipse. Whilst we loved the S class PH light and windows and space the balcony does not come near to matching the M PH for deck space....

So I guess it comes down to what you want from your cruise. I don't think number of sea days matters, you just get off the ship when you feel like it! If you want S class facilities go for the Eclipse, if you want the better room go for the Summit.

Does the itinerary NOT interest you at all?

Have you been on the S class ships? A big difference to Summit if you want a change.

Do you really spend all your time in the room to make that the deciding factor?

Are you always going to be comparing the PH to every other room you have in the future? If so, you won't be happy in anything else.;)

If you enjoy hosting others in your stateroom, then the Summit Penthouse is your choice hands down. We were in the PH on Summit this past April and we hosted a sailaway from St Thomas and a couple of other smaller events with fellow cruisers. We really loved the space in the stateroom, but other than hosting the sailaway, the extra space on the balcony was impressive, but not fully utilized by us.

One question...do you currently have a courtesy hold on the PH on Summit and a CS on Eclipse? If not, there are no CS currently available for the 11 Night sailing on Eclipse in December, so that may make the choice easier.

In all honesty, we have traditionally booked CS on the S Class ships and have been very happy. Eclipse is a wonderful ship and a CS would be just as wonderful in my opinion. So, after all of that rambling, our vote would be the CS on Eclipse, if you can get it.

We are on the December 10th Eclipse sailing.

Randy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I vote for Summit PH hands down. But I am not a big fan of S class ships and much prefer the size of M class. I'm sailing in Summit PH this Sunday and I've been to Bermuda more times than I can count so I use port days as "sea days". I also feel the ambience of Summit (officers, staff and crew) is hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Summit cruise in December 2018 is possibly chartered as it has gone from the website - both Lesser and Greater Antilles. No word from X yet so am waiting to see what is happening. Just a heads up in case you were looking at 2018.

I'd vote for the Summit PH. And yea, I like the S class ships a bit better but you can't beat the PH on an M Class.

Port or sea day doesn't matter as you don't have to get off the ship. But, if you're like me I can't seem to stay on the ship even when I say I will :)

have a great cruise

Thank you all!

We have a deposit on the CS on the Dec 10th sailing and have a few days to cancel if needed.

We Have in fact been on the S class ships in Royal Suites and Celebrity Suites and like them very much. We do prefer the smaller ship and did love the penthouse. hubby is afraid this might be an issue with booking anything other than the PH moving forward.

One not so small difference is the cost. There is about a 5000 price difference between the CS and PH. Ouch!

I think we will stick with the CS on the Eclipse and have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks again!

Thank you all!

We have a deposit on the CS on the Dec 10th sailing and have a few days to cancel if needed.

We Have in fact been on the S class ships in Royal Suites and Celebrity Suites and like them very much. We do prefer the smaller ship and did love the penthouse. hubby is afraid this might be an issue with booking anything other than the PH moving forward.

One not so small difference is the cost. There is about a 5000 price difference between the CS and PH. Ouch!

I think we will stick with the CS on the Eclipse and have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks again!

That price difference is one serious Ouch!